Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Any suggestions for a rough and tumble Kindle user?

I got my Kindle just a month ago and am starting to put it through it's paces. I'm learning a LOT from these forums and hope this is not going to be a redundant question!?

The future life of my Kindle will include a great deal of primitive camping, skiing (I teach part time) and generally hanging out outside. I just found, and ordered, the silicone skin. I've already purchased 2 additional covers for it and am trying them out. I've thought about going the gallon ziploc route for ski season at least, but then it occurred to me, that you folks have already explored these waters! Also, is the keyboard sensitive to sand or dust?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I got my Kindle just a month ago and am starting to put it through it's paces. I'm learning a LOT from these forums and hope this is not going to be a redundant question!?

The future life of my Kindle will include a great deal of primitive camping, skiing (I teach part time) and generally hanging out outside. I just found, and ordered, the silicone skin. I've already purchased 2 additional covers for it and am trying them out. I've thought about going the gallon ziploc route for ski season at least, but then it occurred to me, that you folks have already explored these waters! Also, is the keyboard sensitive to sand or dust?
Think of your Kindle like you would your laptop.

Yes, the keyboard is sensitive to sand and dust. The screen is also fragile.

You might search for a 'hardcase' cover.

Good luck.!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

For transportation in high moisture situations (rain, snow, watersports) I suggest a Kwik Tek Dry Pak with some silica gel packs. The Dry Pak is very strudy, has very clear plastic for reading through and is waterproof as opposed to water resistant. I've taken mine to the beach with no special protection other than my purse or backpack (when not reading).

For dusty situations, a can of compressed air at the end of the day can clean things up quite nicely.

My Kindle is encased in a silicone skin inside an M-Edge cover (I've owned mine since April). So far so good.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Thank you daffy, that looks much more durable than a ziploc!
Do you think the silicone skin gives it some protection? It looks like something I have on my Zune, but I am not sure.

Well grandma, I wouldn't consider using my laptop on a ski lift, but have been thinking about reading my Kindle on some of the longer rides. I could carry it in my CamelBak, so it would be pretty well protected.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you think the silicone skin gives it some protection? It looks like something I have on my Zune, but I am not sure.
For me, the silicone skin is just another layer of protection for an accidental drop. It also holds my Kindle more snuggly in the M-Edge cover.
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Well grandma, I wouldn't consider using my laptop on a ski lift, but have been thinking about reading my Kindle on some of the longer rides. I could carry it in my CamelBak, so it would be pretty well protected.
I was trying to point out that the Kindle is about as fragile. Its an electronic device, so extra care is needed....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
krisk
Wizard

Oh definetly! I have been acting like one of those kids that are given the eggs to carry around as their "baby". I normally never carry a purse, but bought one specifically for hauling around my Kindle.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Oh definetly! I have been acting like one of those kids that are given the eggs to carry around as their "baby". I normally never carry a purse, but bought one specifically for hauling around my Kindle.
If you've had your Kindle less than 30 days, you may want to invest in the insurance plan available from Square Trade. If you break your Kindle, a refurbished replacement will cost $180. With the insurance, I understand they will replace it for the price of your deductible ($50).
Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
One thing you should keep in mind is that there is a recommended temperature range for the Kindle. I tried to find it in Kindle specs, but now can't for some reason. However, there is definitely a high and low limit to ambient temperature where you should not use it.

Riding a chair lift in cold weather and having it out in your hands might well cause a problem. Be sure and check that out. Ditto for hot desert temps in summer.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard

uh-oh! I hadn't seen that anywhere and do not remember anything in the users guide about it!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
uh-oh! I hadn't seen that anywhere and do not remember anything in the users guide about it!
I still can't find it, but I THINK it was: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C). Why not call Support and ask them?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard

I'll do that! I don't want to damage due to temperature extremes.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Talking

OK, krisk, I found it at the end of the users guide in Specs. The temp range is 14 F to 113 F, [-10C to 45C]. That gives you a little more range.

Maybe you could knit a little sweater for the device.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Maybe you could knit a little sweater for the device.
photos please.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
The temp range is 14 F to 113 F, [-10C to 45C].
Since EInk devices are all very similar, see A Question of Temperatures! From that thread, the recommended range for a Cybook is 5..35 °C (41..95 °F) and cold can slow down page refreshes on the PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote