Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDF is now an ISO Standard

According to Arstechnica, "Adobe has announced that PDF 1.7 has been approved by the ISO and will become the ISO 32000 standard (DIS)." This information comes from Adobe PDF Architect and a Senior Principal Scientist via his Adobe blog, Inside PDF where he states that "Adobe has received word that the Ballot for approval of PDF 1.7 to become the ISO 32000 Standard (DIS) has passed by a vote of 13:1."

"... none of the current licensing terms for the PDF standard will change, as it's already licensed for free and readily available to anyone wishing to develop software capable of reading, writing, or processing PDF, but [King] posits that Adobe's Acrobat suite might see an increased level of competition from other companies as a result of the ISO certification."
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
More excellent news. As someone once in the print industry, Postscript, while not an nice language, does its job wonderfully well. Nowhere else is typographical control so well developed.

As an ISO we have something immensely important for the future of electronic publishing. Present standards cannot cope well with publications that are typographically complex. PDF is an essential standard.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Interesting. I notice that it is PDF 1.7, i.e. the latest and greatest. I wonder which non-Adobe products can output 1.7? I'm thinking particularly of the various GhostScript-based PDF printer drivers.

Note: I use Acrobat 8 myself, professionally, but I use an old version at home that only does 1.3.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote