Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
nufan947
nufan947 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Transferring EPUBs to Nook - won't show up?

Hey all,

I've used Calibre since getting my Nook with no problems. I recently got an ebook in MOBI format and converted it to EPUB in Calibre. I tried to send it to my Nook, and according to Calibre it was successful, and when I check the "My Documents" folder on the Nook using Finder (I'm on a Mac) the book shows up. However, when I turn on my Nook it is nowhere to be found. I tried deleting it and resending it multiple times, each time pressing "check for new content," all to no avail.

What could I be doing wrong?!?! I'm really perplexed as I've never had this kind of issue before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
nufan947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
What I do is just copy files to Nook:\My Files\Books via USB cable. I don't use Calibre for that. Try another epub (from MobileRead for example). Maybe the issue is epub.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
nufan947

I've tried just dragging and dropping the file, and it doesn't make any difference, the Nook still isn't seeing it.

I haven't tried a different epub yet, but I will later this evening. However, I've converted files from the same format (MOBI) in the same way (to EPUB using Calibre) and copied them over and these files work just fine. It's only this most recent one that's giving me trouble.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is probably something about the epub your nook doesn't like. YOu should report it to B&N, hopefully they'll tell you what the problem is. Or do a MOBI to TXT and then TXT to epub conversion in calibre, you'll lose most of the formatting, but the resulting epub should work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
nufan947

Thanks, I'll try both of those things, starting with B&N. It would be a shame to lose the formatting, so I hope that they tell me something useful!

Is it common for the nook to be finicky with epubs like this?
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
nufan947

Sorry to double-post, but this is really getting to me.

I contacted B&N, and they were of no assistance, both via email and live chat. Their response was essentially "we can't guarantee that all ePub files will work on the nook."

Then I tried converting the book in question to .txt and from .txt to ePub, also to no avail. The nook still doesn't load it when I press "check for new content." Then I tried a free PDB I found, converted that to ePub and sideloaded it, and that didn't come up either. Could be a coincidence, I don't know.

I'm starting to get frustrated; I love the nook but I don't understand why something that should be simple is causing me so much trouble. My next thought is to restore to factory defaults and start over. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You could just convert to TXT and read that on the nook.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
nufan947

Thanks for all the advice/assistance. Still don't know what the problem was, but I decided to do a factory reset and then sideload all my ePubs using Calibre one by one, and the problem file went on and reads just fine now!

Crisis averted!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Ah, the world-famous "reboot" solution
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote