Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
City Noir series by Akashic Books

Has anyone read any of these anthologies? I'm thinking of buying a couple.
They are collections of crime stories written especially for the books set in different cities around the U.S. and the world and they are available as ebooks.
There's about 3 dozen of them and include Brooklyn Noir, Seattle Noir, Boston Noir, London Noir, Copenhagen Noir, Istanbul Noir, etc.

http://www.akashicbooks.com/noirseries.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Has anyone read any of these anthologies? I'm thinking of buying a couple.
They are collections of crime stories written especially for the books set in different cities around the U.S. and the world and they are available as ebooks.
There's about 3 dozen of them and include Brooklyn Noir, Seattle Noir, Boston Noir, London Noir, Copenhagen Noir, Istanbul Noir, etc.

http://www.akashicbooks.com/noirseries.htm
I have a few of them not gotten them out of my TBR pile yet though. But i remember from the samples, i was happy to buy them. Though i did get them on sale.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've read a couple (Paris and NY I think) - not really impressed - lesser known authors.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've picked up a couple of these with NY settings but haven't read them yet.

You might also be interested in the Masters of Noir anthologies--four volumes of vintage stories from authors such as Mickey Spillane, Lawrence Block, Ed McBain, Frank Kane, Craig Rice, and Richard S. Prather. These are $5 apiece (you can get them for less at Fictionwise with a coupon). I finished reading the first volume last night and really enjoyed the stories.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have read a few and I have been impressed by the quality of the story selections. The authors may not be on the best selling list but the editors(at least the one's I've read) do an excellent job of finding good stories by good writers.

I really liked Havana Noir and I recently picked up Brooklyn Noir ( currently on the tbr pile)
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
These are available as ebooks? I've been looking for them but can only find paper.

http://www.akashicbooks.com/torontonoir.htm

Oh, wait ... a bunch of these at Kobo now ... but not Toronto.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
These are available as ebooks? I've been looking for them but can only find paper.

http://www.akashicbooks.com/torontonoir.htm

Oh, wait ... a bunch of these at Kobo now ... but not Toronto.
For ones that aren't available at Kobo or BN, try Amazon or the Google bookstore.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Toronto Noir does not appear to have been digitized as an ebook anywhere. (And Google Books are not sold in Canada.) But thanks for the reminder of the series; I hadn't realised there were so very many titles in it.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Toronto Noir does not appear to have been digitized as an ebook anywhere. (And Google Books are not sold in Canada.) But thanks for the reminder of the series; I hadn't realised there were so very many titles in it.
I'm seeing it both at Amazon and at Google, for $9.99.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to your location.