Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock07
Ideally an ipad level experience on a E-ink screen..

A man can dream..Can't he?
Yes, you can dream. But you should know that my dreams pretty much cancel yours.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #62
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
An auto page-turning function so I can use the Kindle hands-free...
Actually, the Kindle can do this now with most books, though without the progress indicator. Simply turn Text to Speech, adjust the reading speed to match yours, and turn the volume down to minimum/off.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #63
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
If it worked with a touch screen with all the functionality of the Kindle app on my ipad, I'd get it in a second. It's an incredible reader app. Notes, highlighting, fast page/chapter progression, search, fast dictionary pop up at the touch of a word... really a wonderful thing to behold.

Last edited by januaryman; 02-18-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #64
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
- Completely white background and even darker text
- Epub
- Better resolution
- Listing your books with their cover (in color)
- More control over font sizes, types and margins
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #65
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Some people say they want ePub support,

but how are we going to read/use ePub books if they are DRM protected anyway, let's say a B&N DRM protected book, breaking the protection? If that's the case, is basically what some folks are doing now, even without epUb support: break the DRM, once broken, convert from ePub to MOBI via Calibre. Am I missing something here?

I think the request should be, asking for DRM elimination, which of course I think is very unlikely. Or, request Public Library support via Kindle. Last one I'm sure would benefit some users.

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #66
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
request Public Library support via Kindle. Last one I'm sure would benefit some users.
I agree that Amazon should invest in having public library support. There is a thread here from a teacher who is looking into buying ~25 ebook readers for her 9th grade class. One would think it should behoove Amazon to try and capture this market.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-18-2011 at 01:22 PM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #67
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Some people say they want ePub support,

but how are we going to read/use ePub books if they are DRM protected anyway, let's say a B&N DRM protected book, breaking the protection? If that's the case, is basically what some folks are doing now, even without epUb support: break the DRM, once broken, convert from ePub to MOBI via Calibre. Am I missing something here?

I think the request should be, asking for DRM elimination, which of course I think is very unlikely. Or, request Public Library support via Kindle. Last one I'm sure would benefit some users.

For me, the reason was that I'd much prefer maintaining a library of epub books than mobi or both. They are much better/safer for long-term archives, and I like the ability to unzip and edit .epub, and I like the ability to use better formatting with css, etc.

Having said that, Amazon's page numbering breakthrough with support for apnx files (that I can automatically create with calibre based on amount of visible text) tipped the scales back toward reading mobi. (although I'll still create epub copies for archival use)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #68
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
For me, the reason was that I'd much prefer maintaining a library of epub books than mobi or both. They are much better/safer for long-term archives, and I like the ability to unzip and edit .epub, and I like the ability to use better formatting with css, etc.
Technical speaking, ePUb is better than mobi, you are correct, but for a regular pure text book, the average end user won't notice that difference anyway.

Regarding ePub being better/safer for long term archives I think that no electronic format is totally safe for long time archiving purposes. Because standards and technology changes so much and so frequent, it is difficult to say what the new standard is going to be in 5 or maybe 10 years from now. But if the ebook is DRM free, we will be able to convert regardless of the format.

Most large companies, for example, archive documents or databases using csv or text format; they are not tied up to proprietary devices and had proved being resilient enough over the years. Even paper, when not perfect, is better for archiving purposes.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #69
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Voice recognition for navigating and ''writing'' notes, ect. I think that would require the use of a lot of raw server power. Android phones uses voice recognition, but I think that it's Google's servers that do the hard work. It would negate many of the uses of a toughscreen.

It could probably work for navigation on the Kindle for simple commands, though.

I just might be completely wrong about this, though. I just saw a programme about a Android phone about a few weeks back.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-18-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #70
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Technical speaking, ePUb is better than mobi, you are correct, but for a regular pure text book, the average end user won't notice that difference anyway.

Regarding ePub being better/safer for long term archives I think that no electronic format is totally safe for long time archiving purposes. Because standards and technology changes so much and so frequent, it is difficult to say what the new standard is going to be in 5 or maybe 10 years from now. But if the ebook is DRM free, we will be able to convert regardless of the format.

Most large companies, for example, archive documents or databases using csv or text format; they are not tied up to proprietary devices and had proved being resilient enough over the years. Even paper, when not perfect, is better for archiving purposes.
...which is why I prefer epub.

It's just a common zip file of the html ebook (which is just a text file with markup) and extras, like images.

I don't need them to last forever, and I don't foresee a day when I can't unzip a common zip file or read html.

The tools to decompress mobi files are less simple and commonly attained than the tools to unzip any common standard zip file, like epub is.

eta: I just looked and realized what thread we've been in. sorry for the OT, peeps.

Last edited by Piper_; 02-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #71
Jackdusty
Jackdusty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
A simple edit facility in 'View' to correct typos, spelling or punctuation
Jackdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #72
Jackdusty
Jackdusty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sorry I am in the wrong place!

Sorry, posted this in the wrong place, I got lost
Jackdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #73
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I sent this to amazon today:

I was dismayed to see that the new software still doesn't let you change your own screen-saver, or margins, or the font. Now, you guys won't listen to complains. The only think that makes you listen is the dollar.

From this day on, I will purchase by books from Google, or Barnes and nobles, and convert the ePubs to Mobi. Amazon won't receive another penny from me, until they give the users some freedom.

Turn off the spying features on the kindle. We know you're spying on us.
---------

Don't like what amazon is doing? Don't buy books from them.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo
Turn off the spying features on the kindle. We know you're spying on us.
You were doing so good up until then ^^^. Why did you have to ruin a perfectly reasonable request and ultimatum with the Tinfoil Tommy routine at the end?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #75
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
From this day on, I will purchase by books from Google, or Barnes and nobles, and convert the ePubs to Mobi.
So, you you basically put a big tag on yourself, saying you break copyright laws? Because last time I heard, most B&N books are DRM protected.

Hmmm... not a good idea, in my opinion. But I agree, if you are not happy with Amazon products, you can stop purchasing from them or even better, get a different ereader.