Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Question Confused with Acrobat Pro and Cropping

I'm using the excellent PDFRasterFarian program, and I thought I would try the Acrobat-Pro method of manual cropping. I go through all the cropping procedures and save it as a new .pdf, but when I take it into PDFRasterFarian, it sees the whole page again! It's like the data is still there, but hidden. Is there a recommended cropping method? I'm on the 30-day trial, so would to figure it out before I need to buy it (or not).

Thanks,
Jeanne
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

I've had that happen to me too... though I've never figured out why.

I have PDFs with file info crap at the bottom (example: file/ c:somefile.pdf)
and when I crop it off and resave the PDF other programs STILL find this info and import back in such as Book designer.

It seems to be some kind of info about these "footers and headers" (which don't seem to show in Acrobat as headers or footers) are still in the file after cropping them off visually. So when you import the file into something like Book designer it picks this stuff back up and it appears again.

Anyone know what this is and how to really get rid of stuff you crop?
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
bdabearsfan
bdabearsfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
Acrobat Pro and cropping

I spent a lot of time trying to solve this very problem. Here is what I have found out. After your crop the pages, you have to re-print the pdf file to a new PDF file. The trick is to change the page size for printing. Here's how:

From the Print dialog box, click Properties for the Adobe PDF printer, and click the Layout tab, and choose the Advanced button. Under paper/output select PostScript Custom Page Size and select the page width and height that corresponds to the cropped page size.

The new file that is created will be cropped to the exact page size you select. this can be confirmed in document properties description tab

Hope this helps.
bdabearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
jmdor
Enthusiast

Ah ho -- that sounds logical. I will try it and let you know.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
bdabearsfan
bdabearsfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
Just tried this again. I believe you have to turn off Choose Paper Source by PDF page size to successfully crop the page to your custom setting.
bdabearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

pdf cropping is a non-destructive process. the perspective software will need to respect the boxes set by acrobat pro in order to display and operate on them properly which PDFRasterFarian does. I usually do manual crop using acrobat, do a save as, and then run PDFRasterFarian with autocrop set to off.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
jmdor
Enthusiast

OMG.... don't autocrop -- that's brilliant!! Why didn't I think of that! Thanks ever so much!!