Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Need Advice - Is Hyperion Really That Good?

I read book 1 back in the 80's or whenever it first came out. In my mind, I remember it as being horrible. However, many people here have mentioned reading the whole series, and when I went to whatshouldireadnext.com, typed in A Fire Upon the Deep, it listed Hyperion as something I might enjoy.

This is the one with the wheel of fortune which judges life or death, right?

You guys know I like hard scifi but not fantasy. No dragons or vampires, please.

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GIVE HYPERION ANOTHER LOOK?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anybody?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I have read and enjoyed Hyperion and Endymion. I think that Dan Simmons is quite an acomplished writer, but a lot is lost in his books if you do not know your mythology/ history ...

Definetely try it- he paints a fascinating world

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
I have read and enjoyed Hyperion and Endymion. I think that Dan Simmons is quite an acomplished writer, but a lot is lost in his books if you do not know your mythology/ history ...
Notice that _Hyperion_ and _The Fall of Hyperion_ is really one book. I liked it a lot but I did not continued with more books in the series.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It seems people either love or hate Dan Simmons - I've read several of his books and enjoyed them - my only complaint is that they tend to drag on at the end - but Hyperion is worth a second look (IMHO).
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There have been two recent threads/posts on Hyperion at tor.com, both by Jo Walton, Is the right book winning the Hugo? and Better to travel hopefully: Dan Simmons’s Hyperion. Hyperion won the Hugo in 1990, and Jo concludes that it was the best novel of that year. She also concludes that
Quote:
The reading order for the Hyperion series is “Read Hyperion and then stop.” But Hyperion itself is well worth reading and re-reading. It’s undoubtedly a masterpiece.
Others agree with tompe that Fall of Hyperion rounds out the storyline.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

All right, I'll get all three. (Stocking upon ebooks before going on "vacation" to the piney woods of Young Harris, GA, next week.)

Is the reading order Hyperion, Endymion, and Fall of Hyperion?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If you hated the first book, you will probably hate the second book. But people's taste change over time so you have to take that into account.

Even if you like the two original books there's no guarantee that you will like the two Endymion books. I know I didn't.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is the reading order Hyperion, Endymion, and Fall of Hyperion?
There are four books:
Hyperion (1989)
The Fall of Hyperion (1990)
Endymion (1996)
The Rise of Endymion (1997)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!

The reason I am reconsidering them is because I loved Simmons' Ilium and Olympos so much. So when the suggestion surfaced again, it sort of sparked my interest.

NEXT QUESTION: Why didn't you guys tell me the books are not available in e-format?

I've been searching the usual bookstores, but if there is a link (NOT KINDLE), I would appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I found the Hyperion cycle slow and torturous. I skipped some parts in the 1st book and gave up 1/3 way through the 2nd.

I would not order all of the books at once. Try one and see it if you like it or not.

If I want something slower paced but really deep, Gene Wolfe and David Zindell are my choices.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Any specific titles you would recommend?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I enjoyed Hyperion and Endymion but would not compare them to A Fire Upon the Deep. They are a little, um, ponderous and vague. I like Ilium & Olympos much more myself.

I recommend a look-see at Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon, Thirteen, Market Forces).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
The reason I am reconsidering them is because I loved Simmons' Ilium and Olympos so much. So when the suggestion surfaced again, it sort of sparked my interest.

NEXT QUESTION: Why didn't you guys tell me the books are not available in e-format?

I've been searching the usual bookstores, but if there is a link (NOT KINDLE), I would appreciate it.
yeah I know right, after reading a bunch of positive reviews about it I went to look for it.

and the bad boys copy is chucker block full of ocr errors and my local library branches don't have it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Who has Hyperion in eBook form? I've not been able to find it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote