Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The word is that the iPod Touch didn't have auto focus because it was too thin. A better battery (thicker) might give it the room the auto focus mechanism needs.
Thicker iPod is a plus!

Quote:
Still with the WiFi Galaxy Players 4" and 5" and another (??4.2 or 3.6??) which includes GPS and all cost less than $200 there is a lot of pressure on Apple. The problem with the Galaxy's is 800 pixel width compared to about 950 pixel width on the iPod. Since the screen on the iPod is smaller, the image is sharper.
I have both the SGP4 and the iPt4
  • SGP4 Display -- 4.0" ... 800x480 ... 240 ppi
  • iPt4 Display: 3.5" ... 960x640 ... 326 ppi

After numerous side-by-sides, the SGP4's display is brighter and has richer colors than the iPt4's display. Though text is sharper on the iPt4. Kudos to Samsung for choosing a really good bargain LCD display for the SGP4. Their phones have even better SAMOLED displays. Unfortunately, the display for the SGP5 sucks when compared to the SGP4.

Quote:
I have said this before. I hope Samsung spins off the Note into something like a Note Touch just leaving out the cellular part and maybe cutting some specs to get to $250. That is a good price for Kings and monkeys.
***** I give that a 5-Star monkey rating
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And for the record, my iPad 3 battery runs down a heck of lot faster than the 6 to 8 hours advertised. I haven't run it down all the way to 20% yet, but it easily depletes to 50% in 2 hous or less when reading with the screen brightness at about 30% (somewhat dim).
That sounds like something is seriously wrong.
I can play software-decoded video files (which use a lot more CPU than hardware-decoded ones) for a good chunk of the day on a single charge of the iPad 3.
Just reading, I would easily get the 10 hours claimed.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That sounds like something is seriously wrong.
I can play software-decoded video files (which use a lot more CPU than hardware-decoded ones) for a good chunk of the day on a single charge of the iPad 3.
Just reading, I would easily get the 10 hours claimed.
The WiFi on my iPad 3 is extremely sluggish so it might be burning up a lot of energy trying to connect or stay connected. I know some folks with the WiFi only version, which is what I have, had to get their units replaced. I just haven't gotten up the energy to go wait in line at the Apple store, especially with the 100+ temps we are having this summer.

But to be honest, I've had 3 iPod touches, two iPad 1 (one was replaced because it completely died), and one iPad3. All of them have had lousy battery life, as in way below what the advertised average is supposed to be.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I'd like to see NFC capabilities on the iPod.
that would be the day.NFC will not kick off until Apple says so. Right now they are avoiding it and rightfully so due to many security issues revolving around its use
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
The WiFi on my iPad 3 is extremely sluggish so it might be burning up a lot of energy trying to connect or stay connected. I know some folks with the WiFi only version, which is what I have, had to get their units replaced. I just haven't gotten up the energy to go wait in line at the Apple store, especially with the 100+ temps we are having this summer.

But to be honest, I've had 3 iPod touches, two iPad 1 (one was replaced because it completely died), and one iPad3. All of them have had lousy battery life, as in way below what the advertised average is supposed to be.
Wow - that's bad luck.

I've had the same problem with 2 iPod touches - 3rd and 4th gen. I waited too long to deal with the 3rd gen, so I sent the 4th gen back as soon as i tested the battery and found it falling short. The replacement apple sent me delivers the promised runtime. The battery on my iPad 1 is fantastic - so the issue must be quality control problem at the factory, vs just overselling the battery life.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Wow - that's bad luck.

I've had the same problem with 2 iPod touches - 3rd and 4th gen. I waited too long to deal with the 3rd gen, so I sent the 4th gen back as soon as i tested the battery and found it falling short. The replacement apple sent me delivers the promised runtime. The battery on my iPad 1 is fantastic - so the issue must be quality control problem at the factory, vs just overselling the battery life.
the new devices just have parts and tech that drains the power more. If I remember right, Apple does bump the battery up with every release, but the bump is mostly minor.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #22
LiquidGear
Zealot
LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
the new devices just have parts and tech that drains the power more. If I remember right, Apple does bump the battery up with every release, but the bump is mostly minor.
can you name the parts and tech?
LiquidGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGear View Post
can you name the parts and tech?
a new GPU, processor, retina display, and a some new antennas that were built to acquire better signal. There is a reason why the 4S drains a whole lot faster than the iphone 4.
It may look the same on the outside, but Apple pimped out the inside.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
a new GPU, processor, retina display, and a some new antennas that were built to acquire better signal. There is a reason why the 4S drains a whole lot faster than the iphone 4.
It may look the same on the outside, but Apple pimped out the inside.
iPhone 4 already has retina display. The primary changes made with the iPhone 4S include dual-core CPU, 8MP camera, new antennas and CDMA+GSM support.

As for iPod Touch 3rd gen (32/64GB) to iPod Touch 4th gen:
  • ARM A8 @600MHz vs Apple A4 @800MHz
  • 256MB RAM (both)
  • 3.5" (both)
  • 320x480 vs 640x960
  • 802.11n (4th gen)
  • 3-axis gyroscope (4th gen)
  • front and back camera (4th gen)
  • microphone (4th gen)
  • 789 mAh vs 930 mAh battery
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
Delotte231
Connoisseur

Sorry, got lazy to dig out all the specs. >_<
Thanks to ilovejedd for bailing me out.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
ttttttboy666
ttttttboy666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
New Phone; New Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Rumors are starting to pop for the 5th gen iPod touch. It's been nearly two years since Apple refreshed the line. There was no upgrade last year and the 4th gen carried on into its second year as the latest model.

iPod touch Release History
  • Sep 07 -- 1st Gen
  • Sep 08 -- 2nd Gen
  • Sep 09 -- 3rd Gen
  • Sep 10 -- 4th Gen
  • Sep 11 -- 4th Gen (no new release)
  • Sep 12 -- 5th Gen ???
Talk has the new iPod touch sporting a larger 4" display and the same size and shape as the iPhone 5. The CPU is supposed to be upgraded from the A4 to the A5 (same as iPhone 4S).

What features would you like to see added? For me, the two most important features I require in a traveling PMP are a card slot and GPS; neither of which will ever see the light of day in an iPod. So, I really don't care what they add.

Currently I have a Galaxy Player 4 for traveling and an iPod touch 4 for home audio use. The iPt4 is a great audio device and serves its role well. I doubt I'll upgrade.
I think the body style will be even sleeker and thinner. My guess is that apple will once again one up the phone field with their new design. My only doubt is how much more brittle can it get? I mean these things don't withstand anything.
ttttttboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttttttboy666 View Post
I think the body style will be even sleeker and thinner. My guess is that apple will once again one up the phone field with their new design. My only doubt is how much more brittle can it get? I mean these things don't withstand anything.
Thinner means no camera. I think it will be thick enough for a high resolution camera. It is almost a must these days.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
There are databases which are maintained by various groups and agencies. These databases are updated very frequently. The databases contain the Keplerian elements data for various satellites. Keplerian elements are the inputs to a standard mathematical model of spacecraft orbits. As long as the data is current, an app can accurately track the orbits of a satellite. I use apps (listed below) which allow me to enter my location and then they display when specified satellites will be visible at my location, how bright they will appear in the sky, and some even show me where to look in the sky at any moment during the orbital pass to see the satellite. Pretty cool stuff.
  • GoSatWatch (this is my favorite)
  • Satellite Flybys (very simple but good for long range planning)
  • Satellite Watcher (really more for iPad with big screen, so so)

There are many more which I haven't tried yet.

I also use the PC apps Orbitron (freeware) and Starry Night (paid). With Starry Night I can simulate what the track will be and overlay the simulated night sky view with various camera lens FOVs (field of views). In this manner I can pre-plan which lens I want to use, where to point it in the night sky, and when to set the camera to start taking a series of photos or video. I use the iOS apps on my iPt4 in the field.

Any pictures to share?
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Thinner means no camera. I think it will be thick enough for a high resolution camera. It is almost a must these days.

Dale
Maybe; but they can easily get away with keeping the current cam. They're Apple after all and the iPod touch easily outsells the Galaxy Player with its better hardware.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Maybe; but they can easily get away with keeping the current cam. They're Apple after all and the iPod touch easily outsells the Galaxy Player with its better hardware.
Any thinner and the current camera won't fit. And besides look at the new iPad, it got thicker and a high resolution camera to boot. They are Apple and they tend to outdo the competition when releasing a new product.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote