Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
davec67
davec67 began at the beginning.

if it only uses power to change pages how come.....

when you switch it off or it goes into standby the screen goes blank. That means that the screen is using some sort of power and requires some to stay active. Can someone explain this disparity?
davec67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
This is just to prevent ghosted 'burn-in' of the current image, I believe. Otherwise you could have bad ghosting for some number of page turns.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
When you turn it off, it stops monitoring and react to all the buttons. Which is good idea if you carry Reader in the bag.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The blanked screen also has the advantage of looking off when the flight attendant comes by to make sure you've turned off all your electonics, for instance. I think that was one of the early concerns with the iLiad, that it didn't do that in the earliest days, though I could be mis-remembering, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that issue now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The blanked screen also has the advantage of looking off when the flight attendant comes by to make sure you've turned off all your electonics, for instance.
Too bad they will never be smart enough to realize that the reader does not really need to be turned off.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
also the DISPLAY does not need power between page turns. this does not mean the device itself besides the screen is not using power :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
No, there is a minor amount of power used to monitor the buttons -- to see if one is pressed. That is assuming that you are not playing an mp3 at the time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For me, the main benefit of the "Off" switch is that is stops the Reader reacting to the buttons. On more than one occasion, I've put my Reader down, switched on, and then inadvertently put something on top of it which has pressed the "Page" rocker switch, so I've come back to the Reader and found myself hundreds of pages away from where I was reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote