Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I grew up with the metric system, and doesn't get the feet, inches and miles. It can be annoying when reading a book with a lot of references to these things.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
x200
x200 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Read on another thread that Amazon 6" orders aren't going to be shipped until late August...
That's interesting. I ordered Kindle (international version) yesterday and estimated shipping date is tomorrow.
x200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
i received a new k2i yesterday (to Australia) and the difference in the text/display is amazing when compared with my October 2009 kindle. Much clearer, bolder? font and the contrast between the display and the text way better (maybe lighter background?). The new one certainly doesnt need the font hack. Maybe they have been using the new eink system for a while now. But not saying anything as people would start returning their older ones for the new ones. Or complaining about not getting one.

Thnkpadx, not every country has converted to metrics. USA hasnt for most things. And until they do and us originals die out, and that wont be in your lifetime, it will continue to be the case. But by then they will have developed a new system anyway - built in obsolesence and all that.

Last edited by Pushka; 07-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
i received a new k2i yesterday (to Australia) and the difference in the text/display is amazing when compared with my October 2009 kindle. Much clearer, bolder? font and the contrast between the display and the text way better (maybe lighter background?). The new one certainly doesnt need the font hack. Maybe they have been using the new eink system for a while now. But not saying anything as people would start returning their older ones for the new ones. Or complaining about not getting one.
Wow, you may be among the first, if this truly is the Pearl screen. Congrats. And thanks for your opinion (saying it's "amazing"), from someone who's well within the 30-day return window. Sounds like you would recommend returning the old, then buying the new.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Not the new eInk (at least I don't think so), but the screens are different than the earlier K2's at least in my experience. My K2us screen has a noticeably darker background than the K2i I bought for my mother for her birthday last week. The K2i screen however looks just like other Viziplex screens (Sony 505, Opus) that I have access to. I assume this has to do with the screens in the older K2's coming from LG (made under a sub contract) as opposed to coming from PVI/eInk, or at least this is what I have read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #21
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Never ever will that be the new Pearl screen. They won't start sending out K2's with the new screen without "marketing" thier brand new better contrast feature.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think this even needs a petition. I'd bet my last dollar that a graphite K2i with the new pearl screen is already in production, or close to it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #23
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't think this even needs a petition. I'd bet my last dollar that a graphite K2i with the new pearl screen is already in production, or close to it.
Hope so carld... hope so. As I said in the intro... I reckon they are as well... I just want them to hurry up LOL
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Fingers Crossed

I'm really hoping for the K3 to be graphite six-inch. That might make me pass on my K2 and rebuy. I can't think of anything else Amazon could do right now with existing tech that would make me upgrade to K3 (for example, flexy/color eink just isn't ready yet.)
-bvl
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #25
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
I wouldn't sell my car and get the same car just because I like the color better.

I won't do the same thing with my Kindle.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfedelem View Post
I wouldn't sell my car and get the same car just because I like the color better.

I won't do the same thing with my Kindle.
It's not about the color, it's about the screen. It really is a significant improvement. The color is a nice extra. My wife thinks it's beautiful.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It really is. But what really did impress me is how they achieved 50% contrast improvement with the new (?) eink screen.

Last edited by pboss; 07-09-2010 at 05:24 PM.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I received a brand new k2i this week and the display is way better than the k2i I bought in October last year
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote