Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
angrymnky
angrymnky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Prepping glo as a gift

I'm giving a Glo to a technophobe and want to set it up on my computer and maybe put a couple of books on it.

But wondering about the account using Kobo Desktop.

Can I set up an account on my computer with my email and password and use it to access this glo AND can the other person then use it from their own account that they set up?

Plus I want to get a glo myself soon, so I assume I could use it with the account I set up now?
angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unless the two of you will be sharing the books, then set-up separate accounts. You can log out of one account and into the other any time you want. The only problem is that it will redownload all books each time you do this.

Another way is to create a second account on the computer (assuming Windows, don't know if you can for a Mac). That way you can set-up Kobo for you friend. Each time you want to connect their Glo, switch to that account. This will avoid the need to download the books when you change accounts.

Also, all this can be done without a computer. The Glo can be set-up using WiFi and will sync books with the Kobo server using WiFi. If you have a USB charger, you don't have to ever connect the device to a computer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
angrymnky
angrymnky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thanks for the info - didn't realize it could all be done WiFi.

Friend is in another city so I won't do the two accounts on one computer.

Wouldn't be sharing books so the separate accounts sound good. What does the Kobo account manage or do? For example, I make my Kobo account using my email and password and download a few of the free books from their website and a couple of epubs from my computer and give that glo to my friend. Friend takes it home and makes their account but if they don't download the free books from the website into their account would those titles disappear from their glo whenever it synced to their account or something?

And I guess all purchases are tied to the account so I shouldn't buy anything under my account and transfer to their Kobo if I don't expect my friend to be using my account - is that about right?

Thanks for the help. I think maybe I'm the technophobe...
angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The account is used for purchases from the Kobo shop. Anything you buy from there is synced to any device that is logged in using that account. There are also Kobo apps for android devices and the iWhatever devices. The sync can happen to those so you pick up whichever is handy and start reading from the same place.

Any sideloaded books won't get affected by syncing with Kobo. Most of my books are sideloaded, but I have bought a few from Kobo lately and there are no problem with it.

Yes, the purchases are tied to an account. You can send a book as a gift on the site, but I haven't tried this. As you don't have a Glo yet, I would create an account for the friend. Set-up the device, buy a few books with it and sideload the others. When you get your Glo, log out of the friends account on your PC and create your own account.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote