Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
Question: Multiple files in one zip folder

Hello everyone. I have just downloaded Calibre because I went through the same experience as described in this link: in no time, having an e-reader has led to an explosion in my ebook collection. I have turned to Calibre to start organizing it.

My question is about how to deal with multiple files/books in one zip or rar folder. Do I need to unzip everything first, then import to the library and convert? Some little experiments have led me to believe so. (After importing zip folders directly, a lot was missing in the ePub version).

Thanks very much for your time!
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if your zip file contains multiple books then yes you need to unzip it first.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
BMaloney
Connoisseur
BMaloney doesn't litterBMaloney doesn't litter

Device: PRS-650
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my newbie question!

You might want to consider adding that very brief, one-line explanation to the user guide ("if your zip file contains multiple books then you need to unzip it first").

Two thumbs up for the great programming!
BMaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
if your zip file contains multiple books then yes you need to unzip it first.
I have various ebooks in certain folders/ sub folders. Now, some ZIPs/ RARs contain single books and some MULTIPLE. So essentially it means I will have to extract the ones with multiples.

Now, I don't want duplication/ redundant copies on my SSD "auto extracted" by Calibre.

What's the resolution to this? I do not want to move the ARCHIVES around as I've organized in a certain folder structure.

Is there any way to make Calibre IGNORE ZIPs/RARs on the whole?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Umm if you dont want the archive files managed by calibre, dont add them to calibre. I dont see what your concern is?
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Is there any way to make Calibre IGNORE ZIPs/RARs on the whole?
Calibre ignores everything YOU haven't added to it. If you add the same book twice it tries to warn you, but it really is up to you to ensure that you don't add duplicates and create redundancies. If you have an archive with several books YOU have to open that archive and add the books separately.

And unfortunately you will also have to sell your soul and give up your own folder structure and let calibre organize things as it sees fit. And ONLY access the calibre library through the calibre user interface. Your old folder structure becomes completely redundant.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Umm if you dont want the archive files managed by calibre, dont add them to calibre. I dont see what your concern is?
My concern is either Calibre should handle all ARCHIVES or NONE of them. Is there a way to make it do that.

Let me clarify. I have a Main Folder E-books.

Under it I've organized things in different folders etc.

Some of them have Archives with Single Books (that I CHOOSE TO extract) and a lot of them have Archives with Multiple Books (which I will HAVE TO selectively extract).

I dont want to move the ARCHIVES or their EXTRACTED books away from their PARENT FOLDERS.

When these PARENT folders are added to Calibre, it would automatically EXPLORE the ARCHIVES (M & S) and then include the Singles Archives and leave the Multiples Archives? - Is that assumption correct?
What happens when an archive contains both a .epub and ..mobi of the same book?

I want to add the E-book folder to the Calibre where I want it to pretty much IGNORE all ARCHIVES (M or S), So I can handle the ARCHIVES and EXTRACTION "manually", at the same time LETTING the ARCHIVES be where they are.

I do not want to be in a situation where I have to figure out which ARCHIVES are being HANDLED and Books being extracted by Calibre automatically and which ones, I have to HANDLE and extract manually / Also, eliminate duplication & overlap between AUTOMATIC and MANUAL extractions.

Last edited by crashnburn; 03-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre will add ALL archives if you are adding recursively. IRRESPECTIVE of how many files they have. Why dont you TRY IT AND SEE with a few test files instead of asking.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you add the books to calibre your old folders and archives become redundant. No need to keep them, except for backup.

Calibre can treat folders with ebooks either as containing different books or the same book in different formats.

I would recommend you to experiment with calibre. Pick a few books, perhaps twenty, and try to create the perfect calibre library with them. Perfect metadata and covers. Custom columns. Save templates. And so on. It takes a while before you understand how very different calibre is from managing ebooks in folders.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote