Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Though not a fan of short stories, I enjoyed and re-read several times "Dumb Martian" and "Pillar to Post" by John Wyndham, both part of the book "The seeds of Time".
There's also a nice short story by Asimov, "The feeling of power", that can be read online here
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Flowers for Algernon
It's a Good Life
Sandkings

Those three come to mind.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The Monkey's Paw
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Cask of Amontillado
The Lottery
The Landlady
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
At the Mountains of Madness
most anything by Rick Bass
most anything by Stephen King
most anything by Richard Brautigan
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Rick Bass is one of my favorites. I listed "Wild Horses" which is excellent but "Firemen" is really just as good as are many of his stories.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
A few off the top of my head that I haven't seen mentioned so far:

The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin
The Gentle Seduction by Marc Stiegler
The Light of Other Days by Bob Shaw
Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link*
Impossible Dreams by Tim Pratt
Eight Episodes by Robert Reed

The actual short story Magic for Beginners that I mean isn't in the free download for licensing reasons-- you'd have to buy the collection Magic for Beginners or the collection Pretty Monsters to get that. Which you should do, along with the collection Stranger Things Happen.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #21
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
The Other Celia, Theodore Sturgeon
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
To Build a Fire, Jack London
The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allen Poe
The Continental Op collection, Dashiell Hammett
Fondly Fahrenheit, Alfred Bester
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
SidneyW
Zealot
SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SidneyW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here are some I like a lot....

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabrielle Garcia Marquez
The Swimmer John Cheever
The October Game Ray Bradbury
The Lonesome Place August Derleth
The Gospel According to Mark by Jorge Luis Borges
SidneyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone! Many I must revisit and some new ones I must read.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #24
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Rick Bass is one of my favorites. I listed "Wild Horses" which is excellent but "Firemen" is really just as good as are many of his stories.
Have you read his 'Winter; Notes from Montana' ? I loved that book.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
Have you read his 'Winter; Notes from Montana' ? I loved that book.
Not completely....at least not my recollection....will check by bookcase when I get home...
Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #26
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Anything by Moliere.
The Last Question - Isaac Asimov
The streets of Ashkelon - Harry Harrison
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #27
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Which Moliere are you talking about? The only one I know wrote plays, not short stories.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgloves View Post
Anything by Moliere.
The Last Question - Isaac Asimov
The streets of Ashkelon - Harry Harrison

Just looked up this Harry Harrison as I vaguely remember it. Turns out it is controversial in the initial publication. Posted info about it in the Atheism under Attack thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=156
Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Which Moliere are you talking about? The only one I know wrote plays, not short stories.
doh. I meant Maupassant. I get my dead frenchmen mixed up in the middle of the night. My bad.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgloves View Post
doh. I meant Maupassant. I get my dead frenchmen mixed up in the middle of the night. My bad.