Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
3G means what exactly?

I believe some readers (Kindle,Nook) have 3G. Does this mean they can access the web from anywhere? Are there any restrictions or costs? Does it work in the UK? I must admit I love the idea of reading wikipedia etc on the move.

Will more readers have this in future or is the licensing too difficult to work out.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
To my understanding, 3G works off cell towers. As I understand, if you have a cell signal, then it will work. You have to have a 3G cell account to use it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Both the Kindle and the Nook provide free 3G service here in the States...basically if the network (either Sprint or AT&T, depending on when you bought your reader) is available, you can get wireless access.

for the UK, you might want to read this-not sure how updated it is:
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/07/...uk-review-faq/

For now, accessing the bookstore and the web with a Kindle probably doesn't use much bandwidth-cheap enough for Amazon and B&N to subsidize it thru the price of books and the hardware cost. But if/when they go to full color, more capable readers, I wonder if they can afford to pay for the bandwidth-especially as other 3G data users pay $30-$60/month for the privilege.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
It's short for 3rd Generation and refers to mobile phone technology (data rather than voice calls).
It's certainly available in the UK. In parts of it, that is. I imagine the reader will be fitted with a suitable SIM in the same way as a mobile phone.
It will only be suitable for downloading books, or RSS feeds. EInk isn't up to web browsing.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Well that depends on the web browsing you are doing. I am reading this and posting this response from my Boox 60. Its plenty fast enough for reading forums and blogs.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I believe some readers (Kindle,Nook) have 3G. Does this mean they can access the web from anywhere? Are there any restrictions or costs? Does it work in the UK? I must admit I love the idea of reading wikipedia etc on the move.

Will more readers have this in future or is the licensing too difficult to work out.

Mike
3G stands for 3rd Generation, which is a mobile phone standard. One of the important features of the spec is the modem speeds which can transfer data at about 400-500 Kpbs.

This applies to the Kindle/Nook in several ways, first at those speeds you can have you book delivered to you in a relatively short time. Second since it is a cell tower wireless solution this means that anywhere your phone has 3G access you Kindle will too.

Right not the only device that offers free 3G for browsing is the Kindle device. It has easy support for searching WIKI, google pages. And has a basic web browser. In my experience the browser is better suited for visiting mobile sites.

The Nook has free 3G but it only works when accessing their book store. To use the web browser on the Nook you have to use the WI-FI connection.

I can't answer how it works on the UK sorry.

Quote:
I must admit I love the idea of reading wikipedia etc on the move.

Mike
Truthfully this was one feature I wasn't too frilled about, until I used it. Then I realized this is a great feature to have esp since it is free.

I think you are going to see the gambit as we see today. There will be devices that have 3G as an option an those that don't One thing I believe we will NOT see is devices offering it for free.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Mike
so you got me thinking., would it be possible to surf the web with the kindle. The answer is yes I just added this post with my Kindle.

Last edited by =X=; 05-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
3G is a wireless industry jargon term that means "Hoo, boy, is this data ever going to cost you!".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the info! We have 3G in the UK so does that mean a Kindle can surf the web in the UK as well? Does the hacked nook access the web as well? and there is no cost to surf? I just can't help thinking there must be some local licensing agreement.

I must admit I keep going back to the Neo web page as the device looks pretty neat but sadly I can't afford it at the moment - will it ever get 3G as well as Wifi?

It's not that I think a reader must have 3G, it's just that I can't make out what exactly is on offer when they say 3G.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't answer your question for the UK.

But in the US there's not charge of any kind for the 3G browsing, shopping etc. on the Kindle and other e-ink devices. It's basically included in the cost of the device.

That said, I seldom use it on my Kindle as the processor and e-ink are just too slow and the screen ratio isn't good for the net.

It's doable for text sites like Wikipedia etc., but I don't use those and just never saw a point. But I suppose it could be handy for looking up something if you're out in public with your Kindle and don't have a netbook or smartphone etc. Moot for me as my Kindle rarely leaves the house.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
3G is a mobile-phone network capable of respectable data-transfer rates. Coverage throughout Europe is generally very good, but will obviously vary a little from network to network. More here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G_network

I don't have a Kindle or know anyone who does, so the following is based on what I've read:-

Kindle 2 'International' edition restricts 3G access to the Kindle bookstore outside the US - it does not include 'free' web access in the UK due to data roaming charges incurred by the phone networks here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...tional_version

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...owser?page=all

BTW, it helps if you put your location in your user profile - then we'd know if you lived in the UK, or were just planning a visit here

HTH, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the UK, like most other countries, the Kindle's 3G service is restricted to Wikipedia, and the Kindle store, in addition to being used for wireless delivery of purchased items.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Quote:
3G is a mobile-phone network ...
Luckily even the UK has managed to keep up with all this new fangled modern technology I'm just trying to get a clear idea of how 3G works when applied to ereaders. Oddly even the info given above appears a little contradictory:
  • Quote:
    In the UK, like most other countries, the Kindle's 3G service is restricted to Wikipedia, and the Kindle store, in addition to being used for wireless delivery of purchased items
  • Quote:
    you got me thinking., would it be possible to surf the web with the kindle. The answer is yes I just added this post with my Kindle
  • Quote:
    [the kindle] restricts 3G access to the Kindle bookstore outside the US - it does not include 'free' web access in the UK
  • Quote:
    in the US there's not charge of any kind for the 3G browsing
  • Quote:
    3G is a wireless industry jargon term that means "Hoo, boy, is this data ever going to cost you!
Quote:
I seldom use it on my Kindle as the processor and e-ink are just too slow and the screen ratio isn't good for the net.
but newer devices will be faster - the Neo / Onyx can view the web while on Wifi so I assume if they had the 3G hardware then they could do the same under 3G. Perhaps ignoring images or using an intermediary server to change all images to gray scale thumb nails would help.

It always seems a shame that Wifi networks don't allow any user to surf on a restricted bandwidth etc - in this way we could have web access from any built up area. Perhaps the networks could offer SIM cards that provide very limited data access for a very minimal charge - I've seen USB 3G dongles that provide this but they charge 20 GBP a month for the privilege which seems quite steep to read you email and access the occasional wikipedia page.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've seen USB 3G dongles that provide this but they charge 20 GBP a month for the privilege which seems quite steep to read you email and access the occasional wikipedia page.[/INDENT]
Vodafone do a "pay as you go" 3G dongle which costs £15 for 1GB of data, and it never expires. It's perfect for occasional use - I've had mine for a year and used less than £1 of my credit in that time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #15
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Vodafone do a "pay as you go" 3G dongle which costs £15 for 1GB of data, and it never expires. It's perfect for occasional use - I've had mine for a year and used less than £1 of my credit in that time.
That sounds like a very neat solution! 1GB might be a little low for my normal usage but they definitely are on the right lines. Will it work with any ereader? I know the new pocketbook readers have (or will have) USB hosting which might mean they could use this device. Sadly my experience with setting up Wifi on Linux on PC's means this can be a lottery as to whether it works or not.