Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Alex start a Jetbook Forum?
Yes, C'mon Alex!! 90 79.65%
No 14 12.39%
I'd like to follow the results 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
who keeps voting "no", and why??
Actually 12.2% is close to right on, there will always be around 10% spoilers. We are fortunate here, they usually have lawyers!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It would be much better to have a Jetbook forum than a Readius forum. The Jetbook exists right NOW. The Readius may get here eventually.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It would be much better to have a Jetbook forum than a Readius forum. The Jetbook exists right NOW. The Readius may get here eventually.

Logical argument. What a concept!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(crickets in the background)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Dunno why we shouldn't have a separate Jetbook forum. It's an available device, quite different from others offering, and is attracting a lot of interests.

The only issue would be the time necessary to create it. It may seem trivial but don't forget Alex is graciously running all of MR during his free time.

There are many others new Ebook reader but most of them are just rebranded Netronix clones. I believe all Netronix clone should be regrouped in one forum, as they only differ by their firmwares.

Last edited by Faenad; 05-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Dunno why we shouldn't have a Jetbook forum. It's an available device, quite different from others offering, and is attracting a lot of interests.

The only issue would be the time necessary to create it. It may seem trivial but don't forget Alex is graciously running all of MR during his free time.
Thank you, Faenad. Thats a very observant response.

@Alex.....I think our Jetbook forum supporters would be happy with a response from you just saying its on your "to do " list.

We can be patient if we know its on the horizon, right people?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #22
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I voted no.

A new forum takes time to moderate and further disperses the information and movement on the forum. Just because something CAN have a new forum, doesn't mean it needs one.

When a device generates enough posts that it gets annoying to parse through them in other forums - it should get its own forum (assuming someone is willing to play mod for it).
-OR-
When a device provides sufficiently popular or intriguingly technologically unique that it needs space to work itself out.

I don't think the Jetbook meets either requirement. It's not terribly popular, AFAIK it isn't being hacked uniquely, and doesn't read any proprietary formats or need special conversions that aren't handled in other areas already. It doesn't seem to require special needs or special attention.

So I voted no, just now. I ran a popular forum for years and we went through the "let's invent a forum for everything" stage and it ended up just being a terrible, terrible idea.

Maybe that will change. But currently it doesn't seem to be the case.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
And the iPhone absolutely DOES deserve its own forum for the exact reasons I mentioned above.

I don't use it as a reader myself... but evidently lots of people are, LOTS, and it does require some special attention to make it work properly with anything but the Kindle reader.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Another yes. I know when I was shopping around I had dismissed the Jetbook out of hand with 'oh, its not eInk' thoughts. We need a forum to highlight there are other easy on the eyes solutions besides eInk.

If Jetbook is too specific maybe something like 'Other E-Ink Readers' (Cool-er, eSlick, Readius, etc), 'Non E-Ink Dedicated Readers' (JetBook and... ah, the eBookman?), 'Other Devices' (PDAs, iPhone, netbooks, etc)
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I agree with artifact that jetBook is only one eBook reader with TFT screen available on the market. jetBook has a real pocket size and it is very popular (unfortunately not so popular like Sony and Kindle yet) in US and I think it is more popular than Kindle in Canada.
84% already voted for jetBook forum Thank you desertgrandma for this Poll
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I wonder who is following the results?

Well, at the very least, now we have a more 'organized' plea for a forum.

Why I care I don't know. No other reader than a Kindle1 shall ever cross my eyes.

Wait. That didn't come out right.

And I do know why I care.........because you people do.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I wonder who is following the results?

Well, at the very least, now we have a more 'organized' plea for a forum.

Why I care I don't know. No other reader than a Kindle1 shall ever cross my eyes.

Wait. That didn't come out right.

And I do know why I care.........because you people do.
Maybe jetBook will be your next choice and I also hope that Alex noticed your poll
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #28
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Yes please. I bought a jetBook and sold my Kindle 1. The buyer said my jetBook screen was sharper.

I also have an iPod Touch which allows me to purchase Kindle Books and transfer them to the jetBook after dedrming them.

IMHO the user experience of the jetBook is better than the Kindle, or any e-ink screen. The TFT non-backlit screen is easier to read and the instant page turns make e-ink seem slow as molasses. I would not go back to it as it exists today.

Everyone here who has purchased one seems to agree. Ectaco seems to be monitoring these forums and have promised dictionary support by the end of May for the new formats. The latest software upgrade fixed a bug in the auto off feature where it didn't always kick in. I have not experienced that problem once since installing version 30i.

The jetBook supports folders!

It is definitely a contender. The fact is, a MR jetBook forum will increase jetBook sales significantly. They deserve it. They have given me the best ereader on the market for my needs. MobileRead is the only ebook/ereader forum I am a member of because I have not found the need to look elsewhere. I like this place. I would like to see my ereader of choice adequately represented here. Thanks.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #29
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
I voted Yes! in the poll but I'm wondering if we're coming close to being annoying about this subject,how many times do we ask a question before it sounds like whining?
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Let me assure you that the requests for a Jetbook forum are NOT being ignored by the moderating team. Alex, who runs the site, is unfortunately tied up with "real world" stuff at present, but I know that it is high on his priority list to sort out when he gets some time to attend to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote