Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
MaxIcon
MaxIcon began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader
Cruz Reader or other tablet as a simple browser, always on?

I'm looking for a small, simple display to show the output of an IP camera near the front door. The camera has a web server that streams the video, and I'd like to display that full time. I realized an Android tablet would be a great inexpensive solution if I can find the right one.

I bought a Cruz Reader to test it, and it's not working out well, so any suggestions for either making it work better or for another inexpensive tablet that would fill the bill would be great.

Need:
- Always on, 24x7, with no screen blank or sleep mode, with power connected
- 4:3 or similar display; no widescreen.
- Flexible browser that's not too picky
- Reliable wifi
- Not too expensive (less than $200 would be great)
- Doesn't need to do anything else well, just display a web page 24x7.

The Cruz Reader has 1 minor and 2 major problems for me:
- It can't be set to stay on longer than 30 minutes
- It won't connect with my camera. If there's another browser available, that might help.
- Minor - The wifi is not very reliable, though it would live near the router. There's an antenna mod that may help, but I don't want to do a lot of changes if I'm going to re-sell it for another tablet.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
MaxIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Which browser are you using? The default google browser is... not... great...

I have a Pocketbook IQ which is closely related to the original Cruz reader *hardware* (not identical but off the same assembly lines, apparently.

I am very happy with the browsing experience using the Dolphin HD browser when set to present itself as a desktop browser. And it does do full screen. However, bear in mind that it does not do Flash video streaming unless you're running Android 2.1 or higher and have the Adobe Flash plug in.

For Flash video on older versions of Android (all are "current", as new product is still shipping using most of the versions from 1.6 and up) you may want to check out the Skyfire browser.

Both Dolphin and skyfire can be found here:
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
MaxIcon
MaxIcon began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Reader
OK, I've tried several browsers - Dolphin, Opera, Free Private Browser, and the built-in browser - no joy. I just tried Skyfire, and it crashes.

Opera comes the closest. It loads one image from the camera, but that's it - no video. I thought it was working until I realized the time-stamp wasn't changing. Dolphin and the default browser just sit and spin. FPB won't give me the login page - it says "access to this document requires a User ID", but doesn't let me put the info in.

I have alternate RTSP streams available, but the Reader doesn't understand RTSP.

Other streaming links either don't work at or want to be downloaded (Opera), rather than viewed. Not only that, the browsers crash routinely while I test this out.

I'm afraid the Cruz Reader just isn't up to this task. Oh, well, at least I know what to look for now.
MaxIcon is offline   Reply With Quote