Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #451
traycold
Enthusiast
traycold began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
awesome! If this plugin can provide an interface to execute different scripts like taking snapshot and starting KOreader etc., it could be very useful, especially when it is triggered by light button.
Taking snapshot, definitely yes.

Doing complex things that "interferes" with Nickel activity, like starting KOReader: technically you can do it, but probably it's not the best solution to start KOReader launching a script from Nickel.

Anyway, technically you can launch any script.
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #452
Mr.T
Mr.T began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD

Confirmed to be working on my Kobo Aura HD (firmware 3.11.0, patched with kobo patcher). I didn't configure anything. Just copied .tgz from install to the .kobo directory. Now, it works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo night mode 3.11.0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	131705  

Last edited by Mr.T; 11-28-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #453
Cesco
Enthusiast
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo AuraHd/H2O-Glo-Sony prs 350
How do you change the display from night mode to normal? (white background and black text)

I have tried changing the setting of the light, but remains active nightmode

The only way I've found, is to restart the the ereader, but it not always work

Edit: Solved! just go back to the light setting (the preset %) and close the window.

Last edited by Cesco; 12-16-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #454
dash.
dash. began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo H2O
So how do you launch it on Kobo H2O?

I've Installed build13, my device rebooted, but i seen no difference and cant trigger the nightmode.

edit:
Nevermind, missed the new github repo link in traycold's post

Last edited by dash.; 12-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
dash. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #455
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.

Hi,

Just updated my Glo with 3.12 firmware. Then reinstalled the build 13 of nightmode hack (both original and Traycold versions).

Only the original version works. Traycold version does not work, I can't trigger the night mode using the light button (did not try with the light level switch).

Too bad, I would have loved to test the "real 1% light level".

Keep up the good work guys, and a handful of thanks!!
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #456
traycold
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Hi,

Just updated my Glo with 3.12 firmware. Then reinstalled the build 13 of nightmode hack (both original and Traycold versions).

Only the original version works. Traycold version does not work, I can't trigger the night mode using the light button (did not try with the light level switch).

Too bad, I would have loved to test the "real 1% light level".

Keep up the good work guys, and a handful of thanks!!
hi Anghirrim,
I think I found the bug preventing the trigger of nightmode with the light button, and fixed it. Now it works on my Kobo Glo (3.11 firmware).

I updated the files on github repo.

You can try again if you want. Please have a look at configuration file nightmode.ini in the extra folder: there are some new (hopefully useful) options for light button / brightness control.

If you already are on Nightmode v13 (either "original" or my version), you just need to update the lib, installing the file KoboRoot.tgz inside folder updateLib (and of course, modifying the nightmode.ini configuration file according to your preferences).

Let me know if it now works for you.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #457
akorx
Zealot
akorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Hi my friends,

I've installed FW 3.12.0 and night mode build 13 on my Glo and all is ok !
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #458
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.Anghirrim knows the square root of minus one.

Hi traycold,

Switch with light button works now!!

I'll test the 1% effect tonight, we'll see whether my wife still complains or not about brightness in the bedroom.

Thanks for the modification!

Edit: Do you think it would be possible to use your "1% patch" to go even lower than 1% brightness?

Last edited by Anghirrim; 12-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #459
akorx
Zealot
akorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseakorx juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Anghirrim,

If you really want to reduce the brigthness, you can use a resistor (33k ohm or 30k ohm)

Look at this :

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=200706&page=5

or

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=200706&page=7
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #460
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

@akorx,

Thanks for the links but I know them. I already opened my first Glo and broke the On/Off switch. I think I'll never do it again.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #461
traycold
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi traycold,

Switch with light button works now!!

I'll test the 1% effect tonight, we'll see whether my wife still complains or not about brightness in the bedroom.

Thanks for the modification!

Edit: Do you think it would be possible to use your "1% patch" to go even lower than 1% brightness?
hi Anghirrim,
short answer is no, it's not possible to go even lower than 1% brightness.

Long answer: on Nickel (Kobo UI) you can set the value of brightness from 1% to 100%. But apparently, when the "low-level" function that effectively changes the brightness (ioctl()) is called by Nickel, for some reason it passes the value 2% when on UI the value is either 1% or 2%.
So, since the nightmode code rewrites the ioctl call, what I did was simply to try and detect, when there is a request by Nickel to set the brightness to 2%, if the real value was 1% or 2%, and set the corresponding brightness level. Anyway, there is no way to pass to ioctl a value lower than 1(%), at least not that I know.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #462
MayorMcCheezewiz
MayorMcCheezewiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd, firmware 3.11.0
newbie at haking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post

Confirmed to be working on my Kobo Aura HD (firmware 3.11.0, patched with kobo patcher). I didn't configure anything. Just copied .tgz from install to the .kobo directory. Now, it works perfectly.
I would put the file in the Kobo folder, but when I reboot the kobo the file is not there any longer. Any thoughts or help? fwv 3.11.0 , 5 day old kobo aura hd.
MayorMcCheezewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #463
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

@MayorMcCheezewiz

The KoboRoot.tgz file copy in your .kobo folder should auto-reboot your reader when you unplug it from the computer.

During this reboot, your Aura HD installs what's insinde the .tgz file and the delete it. That's normal, as the reader is configured to auto-reboot when a .tgz file is found. If the .tgz file would remain here...you would have an endless bootloop
Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #464
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
Quote:
If the .tgz file would remain here...you would have an endless bootloop
...and it would factory reset you after the third time or so, since it checks for that first. Unless you're using mods that prevent nickel from starting outright and remove the factory reset testing (the "nickel didn't start up"-test) along with it.

The easy/obvious way to avoid such loops would be to rename the file before extracting it, but oh well.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch