Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
J C Time
J C Time began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Even simpler

Having problems with the tiny on off switch I remember reading some where in the instructions about a sleep cover, assuming this was magnetically activated I tried waving a magnet about over my Kobo, no luck.

Then I looked on the Internet and found this site, it helped me find how to switch this function on and bingo it worked. I did not have any fancy magnets, but did have a small round fridge magnet taken form one of these things plastic things you stick on fridges. using drafting tape I stuck the magnet on the outside of the cover, when I had found the best spot I simply used a strong double sided sickly tape on the front of the magnet (some times one side is weaker than the other) cut round the magnet to trim the tape to size and stuck the magnet on the cover. Works perfectly and no problem about the magnet damaging the reader. You do have a magnet on the outside of the cover but hay it cheap and works.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by J C Time; 04-27-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling error
J C Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #32
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the lengths some folks will go to to save a few cents!

my Aura HD leather cover - with built in magnet - was £5 + free shipping on ebay, & a perfect fit & auto sleeps/wakes flawlessly.

How much $$$ are you going to save via this DIY route and is fooling around with powerful magnets in the general vicinity of your precious data a great money saving scheme ?

Hey, stick a few spares on your noisy PC hard drive white you are at it - that will induce a very deep sleep ( aka fatal coma )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #33
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I'm guessing someone isn't into crafting their own solutions. Others think its fun to extend function of already owned good cover with simple addition of a magnet. This people variety and books variety is great. My next mod is mounting old CD drive under laptop desk as cup holder that opens as cup is close.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
ellell
ellell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
genius

Thank you! The off/on switch on my kobo glo quit working.I had to give it a hard reset everytime. Now I have it set to Never turn off....and sleep cover settings....and it works like a charm. No Radio Shack here in Canada....got a 6 piece Promag neodumium magnets at Michaels for $6 Can.

And thanks for good easy instructions
ellell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #35
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellell View Post
Thank you! The off/on switch on my kobo glo quit working.I had to give it a hard reset everytime. Now I have it set to Never turn off....and sleep cover settings....and it works like a charm. No Radio Shack here in Canada....got a 6 piece Promag neodumium magnets at Michaels for $6 Can.

And thanks for good easy instructions
Thanks and you're welcome, ellell. It's nice to know people can still discover these instructions even though they're no longer in the "sticky" area at the top of the front page.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #36
John Knoeller
John Knoeller began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Thanks for this. I just bought my Kobo glo refurbished a few weeks ago with a basic cover. I've been wanting the sleep cover, now with a little bit of effort I have one.

I happened to have the magnet already, using your advice I figured out where the magnet should go. then I used a 1/4 forstner drill bit (it drills flat bottomed holes) and a drill press to drill a hole on the inside of the cover just deep enough to press the magnet into it. It works great!
John Knoeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, glo, mini, sleep