Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Name that book?

This thread is for asking for help about books that you canot remember the title and/or author for. As much information about the book in question is appreciated, such as it's theme, any significant characters you remember. Just about anything that will make another MR member be able to pinpoint what book it is you are looking for.

To start it off:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved guarding a large wall. And when someone joined the military/guardforce for that wall, it was refered to as "Take the Black". Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

Last edited by Slite; 12-16-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I tried to search, but I can't find any thread that is a "Name-that-book" as in, I've read a book way back, can't remember title and/or author, but I do remember somewhat about what it was about. And maybe some nice MR member out there has read the same book. So, here goes

The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved guarding a large wall. And when someone joined the military/guardforce for that wall, it was refered to as "Take the Black". Anyone know which book that could possibly be?
That's probably the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R R Martin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
How about A Game of Thrones by George Martin?
This review on "Goodreads" mentions "taking the black" and the wall:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/13082772
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
That's probably the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R R Martin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
Ah, of course, thank you, I have only read the three first in the series, and just saw that there were at least one new book in the series. Time for a re-read me thinks
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i hope you find your book slite, it is really frustrating to forget the title of a book you want to find... i had a thread searching for a forgotten book as well (a long time ago), i did not find the book i was looking for however it did become a very interesting discussion and many other good books were recommended, so it was not in vain.

sorry, i can't help you with the book you describe.

(note to self : do try to remember to refresh the page before posting, if the tab has been open for some time already... )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i hope you find your book slite, it is really frustrating to forget the title of a book you want to find... i had a thread searching for a forgotten book as well (a long time ago), i did not find the book i was looking for however it did become a very interesting discussion and many other good books were recommended, so it was not in vain.

sorry, i can't help you with the book you describe.

(note to self : do try to remember to refresh the page before posting, if the tab has been open for some time already... )
Hehe, maybe this should be made into a sticky so people can use it to post requests like this?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hehe, maybe this should be made into a sticky so people can use it to post requests like this?
sure, that's a good idea. stuck.

slite, could you edit your first post and add an explanation that now this is a thread for trying to discover forgotten books ? thanks !
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
sure, that's a good idea. stuck.

slite, could you edit your first post and add an explanation that now this is a thread for trying to discover forgotten books ? thanks !
Will do
Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Second:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved a little girl called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

Sorry Slite but I just couldn't imagine your question was serious. To pick THE number one fantasy-series (see www.bestfantasybooks.com if you don't believe me), be so specific and not able to remember where to look?....
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Second:
The book I am looking for is a fantasy-book. I seem to remember that it involved a little girl called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone know which book that could possibly be?

Sorry Slite but I just couldn't imagine your question was serious. To pick THE number one fantasy-series (see www.bestfantasybooks.com if you don't believe me), be so specific and not able to remember where to look?....
Well, it is a number of years since I read the three first in the series, and I have read a ton of books since
Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Ah, of course, thank you, I have only read the three first in the series, and just saw that there were at least one new book in the series. Time for a re-read me thinks
If you're not in a hurry then you'd better wait with book four. Book five should be there within half a year (okay, GRRM is saying that for three years now ) and book 4 and 5 are even more connected than the previous three. Because book 4 takes a couple of POV-characters as a guide through the book and book 5 takes the other POV-characters during the same time span (If you've read the books you know what I mean, and if not ...GO READ THEM !!!).. So in book 4 there are for instance no chapters for the Imp and for John Snow, they are all in book 5.

p.s. Am I already enough out of subject ???

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 12-16-2008 at 08:02 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
If you're not in a hurry then you'd better wait with book four. Book five should be there within half a year (okay, GRRM is saying that for three years now ) and book 4 and 5 are even more connected than the previous three. Because book 4 takes a couple of POV-characters as a guide through the book and book 5 takes the other POV-characters during the same time span (If you've read the books you know what I mean, and if not ...GO READ THEM !!!).. So in book 4 there are for instance no chapters for the Imp and for John Snow, they are all in book 5.
Ok, thanks for the recommendations, then I'll wait and do all 5 of them in one stint (Once the 5th comes out that is)
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the recommendations, then I'll wait and do all 5 of them in one stint (Once the 5th comes out that is)
That is highly recommended (by me). There is just way too much little stuff in those books, you'll want to reread the whole series (which is why I haven't read the latest one)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

name that book part II

i am copying this from an old thread i made a long time ago. at the time it raised a quite interesting discussion, but no-one was able to identify my book. since there are a lot of new members, you never know, perhaps someone has a new idea.

ZE FORGOTTEN BOOK :
a long time ago i got a book at the library which was really brilliant, and i would love to read it again but i have since forgotten the title and the author (i should make a list of everything i read...). i tried looking for it at the library again (at the time i think i would have recognized it if i had seen it) but it wasn't there. maybe checked out, maybe weeded out of the collection...

the theme was solipsism ; the main characters were a family, if i recall correctly, and during the course of the story their home (the scene of the action) began to physically crack and fall apart as the dreamer (the father ?) either realized that they were all products of his own mind or woke up (or possibly neither, and it was the odd events which made the other family members suspect...), and the other family members berated him for causing such havoc. the details are very vague in my memory. i mainly remember really liking it.

i *think* it was an italian author, but it was not Pirandello (i'm 99% sure). I'm pretty sure it was a novel, but it may have been a play, definitely in the absurdist theater style. it was not by ionesco either (but it could have been ; it would make a brilliant companion piece to "Rhinoceros"). it might have been written around the 1950's or 1960's (this is a guess).

in french, i think the title might have been something like "la fêlure" (but not exactly that, or i would have found it already... maybe a synonym), so it might be called something like "the fracture" or "the split" in english.

if anyone has any ideas i would really love to find this book again... i've asked around but it seems to be a bit obscure, no-one i've talked to has any ideas. maybe i dreamed the whole thing...

i'm hoping i'll get lucky and it will be the most favorite book ever of someone who comes on this forum every day... if i ever find it again i'll make another post recommending it, and you can all read it too.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
the theme was solipsism ; the main characters were a family, if i recall correctly, and during the course of the story their home (the scene of the action) began to physically crack and fall apart as the dreamer (the father ?) either realized that they were all products of his own mind or woke up (or possibly neither, and it was the odd events which made the other family members suspect...), and the other family members berated him for causing such havoc. the details are very vague in my memory. i mainly remember really liking it.
Yes, that is very vague. You don't remember any of the character names? If you did you could try google book search.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths