Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #3466
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I see.

I have a KT so I use kterm and an onscreen keyboard that most certainly has a tab key. If it didn't, that would be an emergency I'd have to fix. Personally.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #3467
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
hardlinks maybe. What is wrong with symlinks?

(or tab autocompletion...)
In general, it is possible to do the equivalent of a hardlink on FAT32, if you have customized utility to alter the directory structure to include the alternate entry.

**BUT** FAT32 file system checkers will claim those are a file system error (cross-linked files) and destroy your work.

Note: Kindles do a file system check as part of the re-boot sequence.
(Hold foot opposite end of gun with little hole, pull trigger (re-boot). )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #3468
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do they really -- why?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #3469
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Do they really -- why?
Because by design, a starting cluster number is only suppose to have a single directory entry pointing to it, not 2 or more.

In fact, the requirement is more strict than that -
each cluster number must appear in **only** one cluster chain.
(Which is why the error is called: "cross-linked files".)

Last edited by knc1; 02-27-2015 at 02:28 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #3470
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
The question still remains why does the cover mode fail to extract the covers of these magazines? As my last post noted, I was able to run the kindleunpack.py via myts on the K3W and it successfully extracts the cover. What else can I try from myts to determine the source of the problem and get it fixed?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #3471
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dhdurgee: As I feared, nothing much more helpful in the system logs. :/.

I'll be fairly busy this week, so this may take a while for me to get to, but in the meantime, if you can PM me one of the offending files, I'll see if I can replicate it on my end...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #3472
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@dhdurgee: As I feared, nothing much more helpful in the system logs. :/.

I'll be fairly busy this week, so this may take a while for me to get to, but in the meantime, if you can PM me one of the offending files, I'll see if I can replicate it on my end...
I don't see an option to attach a file to a PM here, so it looks like we need another way to get you the file. I could attach them to a post on the thread, given they would be encrypted and theoretically useless to anyone else, but that might violate a forum guideline. I could put them up in a dropbox folder and offer to share it with you, but I would need a real email address for that. You could PM that to me if it would work for you. Beyond that I am open to suggestions.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 02-28-2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #3473
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Upload an encrypted ZIP, and PM the pasword to NiLuJe -- that is usually how these things are done.

Given that they are not shared in such a way as to allow for public access, they do not violate the no-piracy guidelines.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #3474
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Upload an encrypted ZIP, and PM the pasword to NiLuJe -- that is usually how these things are done.

Given that they are not shared in such a way as to allow for public access, they do not violate the no-piracy guidelines.
Given this suggestion, I have attached an encrypted zip with the samples for NiLuJe to test with. I hope this is enough, but I can provide additional examples if needed.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip Magazine_Samples.zip (1.30 MB, 156 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #3475
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hold your horses, I'm stupid.

Forgot that the optional magazine support I mentioned is *also* applicable to this branch of the code, but is implemented differently there, for technical reasons, and I completely forgot about it.

If you have KUAL installed, enabled Periodicals support in the settings, if you don't, create a blank periodicals files in the linkss folder, and all should be well.

My bad >_<".
Old 03-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #3476
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Hold your horses, I'm stupid.

Forgot that the optional magazine support I mentioned is *also* applicable to this branch of the code, but is implemented differently there, for technical reasons, and I completely forgot about it.

If you have KUAL installed, enabled Periodicals support in the settings, if you don't, create a blank periodicals files in the linkss folder, and all should be well.

My bad >_<".
I'm not sure that is the problem. As you suggested I opened KUAL and went into the screensavers menu and found a periodicals setting in the covers mode menu, but it was already enabled! I toggled it off and then back on and restarted the kindle, but that failed to accomplish anything.

I have the "verbose" mode enabled and I see the warning messages about failed to extract cover when I open the magazines, and if I enable the screensaver in one I get that message about cover mode not processing the cover yet.

So perhaps there is either something unusual about these magazines, or something messed up on my K3W.

Dave
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #3477
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. Then I'll take a look at it next week-end, stay tuned... .
Old 03-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #3478
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Huh. Then I'll take a look at it next week-end, stay tuned... .
Well, I thought of something and gave it a try and got a surprising result. I went back into KUAL and toggled that switch back to "Do not parse periodicals (Default)" and then tried opening the magazines and hitting the slider to enable the screen saver. THE COVERS WERE PROCESSED!

So it looks as if these particular magazines look like books as far as your cover tool is concerned. I don't know what that means for you, do you need to do a two pass of some sort?

Dave
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #3479
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Keep in mind that the buttons in my KUAL settings are an idiosyncratic sort of radio/action buttons: they show what will be enabled *after* you click on them (i.e., if the button is showing "Do not parse periodicals (Default)", then parsing periodicals *is* currently enabled) .

That, and also that KUAL might take a while to refresh on a K3, and thus that the buttons currently shown might not be in sync with the current settings if you're in a hurry .
Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #3480
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Keep in mind that the buttons in my KUAL settings are an idiosyncratic sort of radio/action buttons: they show what will be enabled *after* you click on them (i.e., if the button is showing "Do not parse periodicals (Default)", then parsing periodicals *is* currently enabled) .

That, and also that KUAL might take a while to refresh on a K3, and thus that the buttons currently shown might not be in sync with the current settings if you're in a hurry .
In either case it is now working, although the button interpretation is confusing.

Dave

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet