Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #3406
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@emerson: Use an FT override, that should help.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #3407
emerson
emerson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen.)
The FT override didn't work, but I've converted the file properly and now everything is good. Thanks for your help and for your work here!
emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #3408
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I have a new K4 (black, non-touch) with SO that I just bought in a store yesterday afternoon. I have a lot of reading here to do...mostly interested in font hacks. However, before I turn it on for the first time including wifi and registration, is there any preferred firmware I should see if I'm on? Will firmware update automatically via the device checking in with Amazon? Based on the UPC it is model B006ZZEUXM I think. Thanks!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #3409
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I have a new K4 (black, non-touch) with SO that I just bought in a store yesterday afternoon.

I have a lot of reading here to do...mostly interested in font hacks.

However, before I turn it on for the first time including wifi and registration, is there any preferred firmware I should see if I'm on?

Will firmware update automatically via the device checking in with Amazon?

Based on the UPC it is model B006ZZEUXM I think.

Thanks!
There was never a touch version of the K4.

If you want custom screen savers, you will need to pay the fee to have SO ads removed.

The K4 has not had a recent firmware update.
Unless this is a very old device (from old stock), then what it ships with is probably current.

Yes, it will auto update.
(Unless you have installed our update blocker(s). )

The UPC code is not used (here) to determine the model.
Use the first 4 characters of the device's serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Last edited by knc1; 10-04-2014 at 10:10 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #3410
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There was never a touch version of the K4.

If you want custom screen savers, you will need to pay the fee to have SO ads removed.

The K4 has not had a recent firmware update.
Unless this is a very old device (from old stock), then what it ships with is probably current.

Yes, it will auto update.
(Unless you have installed our update blocker(s). )

The UPC code is not used (here) to determine the model.
Use the first 4 characters of the device's serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Thanks! Appropriate to just call it a K4B then. Re: serial...haven't even opened the box yet. Will do so later today (have my dog's obedience class this a.m.).

But basically, no specific problems should be had on latest firmware?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #3411
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
But basically, no specific problems should be had on latest firmware?
There has not been all that much recent activity on the K4 (although Amazon still sells them).

But I don't recall any firmware version related problems.
(Disclaimer: See self photo used as my Avatar - memory may be failing.)

Amazon rarely maintains firmware updates (and problems for us) on more than the two most recent models.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #3412
stormqueen91
stormqueen91 began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Hi there!
I've been trying to install your sceensaver hack (the version to display the cover of the current book) but I seem to be a bit stuck atm.
The screensaver I'm seeing is your (NiLuJe's) one saying the hack has been successful but that a book cover hasn't been found. Is this an issue with the kindle side of things or with the ebook side of things? I use Calibre for my ebooks and have attempted to use the 'add cover' tool but this doesn't change anything, still stuck with your default custom screensaver.

Edit: Restored kindle to factory settings then reinstalled jailbreak, python, ss hack. It's now working great! Not sure what version of jailbreak I initially had. Think the problem was with installing the python, perhaps?
Anyway, it's lovely to have all this info collected in one thread, thank you!

Last edited by stormqueen91; 10-08-2014 at 11:20 AM.
stormqueen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #3413
kentmatt
kentmatt doesn't litterkentmatt doesn't litter

Device: none
Can't get fonts to work with AZW3 files

I installed the font hack quite some time ago on my and the wife's kindle4's. I had it working fine on mine, but now I notice that hers does not work with AZW3 files.

I've uninstalled the hack and reinstalled the latest version, and I have removed the 'nobrowser' file. Still no luck. New font works in the menus and in .mobi files, but not azw3 ones.

Any suggestions?
kentmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #3414
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kentmatt: Check that KF8 support is really properly enabled (KUAL), restart the device, and check that you're not reading a KF8 file with broken markup messing up the font selection.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #3415
kentmatt
kentmatt doesn't litterkentmatt doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@kentmatt: Check that KF8 support is really properly enabled (KUAL), restart the device, and check that you're not reading a KF8 file with broken markup messing up the font selection.
Thank you for the response. I know it's not the files, as I had them on my Kindle, with fonts working
I don't have KUAL installed... but if I do so, how can I check that KF8 support is enabled?
kentmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #3416
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kentmatt: Check the Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior menu, the KF8 toggle is in there.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #3417
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Install kual 1st
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #3418
Monovertex
Monovertex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Hello guys!

I have an older Kindle 3 (3.3, Keyboard, WiFi) and some time ago I installed the jailbreak, the screensaver and the usb network hacks. Due to some weird / stupid stuff on my part, I did a factory reset and screwed up stuff even more by trying to uninstall / reinstall the jailbreak and the other hacks. At this point, every .bin I try to use, it results in a U007 error (including hack installs or uninstalls and the official update).

I want to bring the Kindle to its original state, so I can install the 3.4 update, install the JB and only the screensaver hack, as well as Duokan (optional).

I tried putting the folders from the current versions of these hacks on the root of the Kindle and then uninstalling them in the order they were installed, but they all gave U007.

I also found this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193380. I tried running the emergency.sh diagnose script from this thread, but it doesn't generate the log file, no matter what I try (reset with the slide button / reset from the menu).

I am currently stumped. I'm not sure if the emergency.sh script is running or not and I don't know what else can I do to uninstall all the hacks.

Note, I do know the versions of the hacks I installed: jailbreak v10, ss hack v25 and usb hack v35, but I couldn't find them for download anymore, so I can't try the uninstallers for those specific versions.

Thanks for all the help!
Monovertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #3419
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Monovertex: The same advice I gave in that thread holds. Restore the linkjail folder manually.

The emergency script in that thread was tailored at another version of the jailbreak, AFAIR, so no surprise that it doesn't do anything for you.

Don't worry about the version of the packages, the uninstallers are backwards compatible.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #3420
Monovertex
Monovertex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
NiLuJe, thanks for the very quick reply.

As I said, I already tried that, with the latest JB version. It failed again with U007. And after that I reset the Kindle and tried the update again, which failed with U007 too.

Would it do any difference if I try it multiple times plus multiple resets (I already did try the manual folder restore and uninstall 2 times I think).
Monovertex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet