Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #3421
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Monovertex: Sorry, I didn't mean try to reinstall the jailbreak, I literally meant just copy the linkjail folder from the src folder of the jailbreak archive (the one from the snapshots) back to USB root.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:06 AM   #3422
Monovertex
Monovertex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Monovertex: Sorry, I didn't mean try to reinstall the jailbreak, I literally meant just copy the linkjail folder from the src folder of the jailbreak archive (the one from the snapshots) back to USB root.
I know, and that is exactly what I did at least 2 times already: copy the folder from the latest snapshot, uninstall the JB, fails with U007. I tried this with the other hacks too and I receive the same result.
Monovertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #3423
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monovertex View Post
- - - -
I tried putting the folders from the current versions of these hacks on the root of the Kindle and then uninstalling them in the order they were installed, but they all gave U007.
- - - -
Did you do what you wrote above?
Put more than a single *.bin on the root of the kindle at the same time?
What do you mean by: "...putting the folders from the current versions..."

What sequence of actions are you taking to run them?
home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update ?
or something else?

We really, really, need clear, accurate, detailed, description of what you have done and what you are doing to help you out of this mess.

You do not "un-install" in the same order that you "installed" - you must do it in the reverse order!
I.E: Un-installing the jailbreak should be the **last** thing you do **not the first**.

Last edited by knc1; 10-17-2014 at 05:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #3424
Monovertex

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you do what you wrote above?
Put more than a single *.bin on the root of the kindle at the same time?
Nope, never put more than one bin on the root.

Quote:
What do you mean by: "...putting the folders from the current versions..."
I mean I copied the linkjail, linkss and usbnet folders from the archives NiLuJe posted in the snapshots thread, onto the root of the Kindle.

Quote:
What sequence of actions are you taking to run them?
home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update ?
or something else?
Yep, that is the sequence.

Quote:
You do not "un-install" in the same order that you "installed" - you must do it in the reverse order!
I.E: Un-installing the jailbreak should be the **last** thing you do **not the first**.
Sorry, mistake on my part. I meant reverse order and I always tried to uninstall them in the reverse order.

Quote:
We really, really, need clear, accurate, detailed, description of what you have done and what you are doing to help you out of this mess.
Sorry for not being clear enough. To clarify, the sequence of steps I tried since the last reset to factory settings:

1. Copy linkjail, linkss, usbnet folders from the snapshot archives (latest version, I downloaded them 2 days ago) onto the Kindle root.
2. Copy "Update_usbnetwork_0.54.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" file onto the Kindle root.
3. Disconnet Kindle from laptop, unplug Kindle.
4. Apply the update (home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update) = fails with U007.
5. Reset via slide button (keep it in open position for 30 seconds).
6. Connect Kindle, copy "Update_ss_0.44.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" onto root.
7. Disconnect, unplug.
8. Apply the update = fails with U007.
9. Reset via slide.
10. Connect Kindle, copy "Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_k3w_uninstall.bin" onto root.
11. Disconnect, unplug.
12. Apply the update = fails with U007.
13. Reset via slide.
14. Connect Kindle, copy 3.4 official update bin.
15. Disconnect, unplug.
16. Apply the update = fails with U007.

As for what happened before they all started failing with U007, I honestly can't say exactly, it was around 2011. I saw it started doing that and I didn't have time at the moment to fix it so I just left it be.

I know everything was working properly and I had SSH access, but at some point I forgot the password and this is where I went full retard mode and tried to reinstall the usbnetwork hack, thinking it would reset the SSH server settings.

When that didn't work, I thought resetting to the factory defaults would clear everything and obviously it didn't. After that I can't remember, but I probably tried some combinations of uninstallations and it broke the JB, I guess.

I should mention I never tried to install another Jailbreak except NiLuJe's, so that should be out of the discussion.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Last edited by Monovertex; 10-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #3425
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That seems to be clear enough.

A hint too late: Stay away from the "reset to factory settings" - it breaks a lot of our things (since we aren't the factory ).

NiLuJe is probably the better one to answer, I have never used those on my K3.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #3426
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Monovertex: If you're 100% sure you've never used any other jailbreak than mine, what happens when you try to *install* the latest version (instead of uninstalling it)?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #3427
Monovertex

Quote:
That seems to be clear enough.

A hint too late: Stay away from the "reset to factory settings" - it breaks a lot of our things (since we aren't the factory ).

NiLuJe is probably the better one to answer, I have never used those on my K3.
Yep, I am now way too aware of that and I wish I wouldn't have used that feature, but that's that .

Quote:
@Monovertex: If you're 100% sure you've never used any other jailbreak than mine, what happens when you try to *install* the latest version (instead of uninstalling it)?
I am 100% sure I've only used your jailbreak, because this thread is the only one I've used as a resource for hacking my Kindle (plus that "On my Kindle I am root" blog post, which links to this thread anyway).

Now, how should I install the jailbreak, with the linkjail folder in the root, or without it?

Last edited by Monovertex; 10-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #3428
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Monovertex: Whether the folder is already there or not shouldn't matter .
Old 10-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #3429
Monovertex

Quote:
@Monovertex: Whether the folder is already there or not shouldn't matter .
Ok, so installing the "Update_jailbreak_0.12.N_k3w_install.bin" file resulted in a U007 error. Nothing seems to have happened.

After a slide button restart, I tried applying the 3.4 update again, and it failed with U007, too.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #3430
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Monovertex: Hmm. That means that something's seriously wrong. Gonna have to take a look at some logs to pinpoint what, exactly...

If you never uninstalled USBNet, restore the usbnet folder manually, restart, and check if enabling USBNet works. (Because depending on how messy the setup has gotten, USBNet might be our silver bullet).
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #3431
knc1
Going Viral

It might be Kubrick time.

Hmm...
I think Kubrick installs 3.3, not 3.4 but I could be easily wrong.

- - - - -

Since this device has been "broke" since sometime in 2011 -
I wonder about the battery capacity.

The system is **not suppose** to run **any** update if the battery capacity is too small.

Note: The K3 will run on non-Amazon batteries - we have a thread here on that.

Last edited by knc1; 10-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #3432
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, yep, I'd forgotten about Kubrick handling the K3!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #3433
Monovertex

Quote:
@Monovertex: Hmm. That means that something's seriously wrong. Gonna have to take a look at some logs to pinpoint what, exactly...

If you never uninstalled USBNet, restore the usbnet folder manually, restart, and check if enabling USBNet works. (Because depending on how messy the setup has gotten, USBNet might be our silver bullet).
I do have the ~usbNetwork command available in the ~help list, but at the moment I don't have a Linux box available, stuck on Windows with cygwin and virtual machines, which I doubt would work.

Still, I ran the command and when I plugged in the Kindle to the laptop, it got into normal usb drive mode. From what I understand, Windows should not have recognized it, because it needs a special driver, so I think the command didn't work.

However,

Quote:
It might be Kubrick time.

Hmm...
I think Kubrick installs 3.3, not 3.4 but I could be easily wrong.
I had no idea this exists. Does it work as designed? I have nothing against replacing everything on the Kindle with a pristine 3.3, because that's basically what I want and it would save us a lot of work.

Quote:
Since this device has been "broke" since sometime in 2011 -
I wonder about the battery capacity.

The system is **not suppose** to run **any** update if the battery capacity is too small.

Note: The K3 will run on non-Amazon batteries - we have a thread here on that.
The thing is, I don't read super much. On average, I guess it's been used for about half an hour a day since I've bought it in August 2011. In the last few months that's how I've used it mostly and the battery still lasts me for weeks with WiFi off, which feels the same as how it was when I bought it.

Generally I didn't use WiFi, don't have a LED light cover and just use the reader, no browsing or music listening, so the battery strain was quite low.

Besides, I used the ;dumpMessages command after trying the 3.4 update and it doesn't say anything about the battery (I saw in another thread that a user got that message), but rather said that "signature verification failed", all the time (U007, basically).

Anyway, tldr: is Kubrick a good option? Can it actually restore the Kindle to a pristine state?

Last edited by Monovertex; 10-17-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #3434
knc1
Going Viral

tldw:

Li-Ion decreases in storage capacity with age, in addition to use patterns.
Keep this in mind when buying an electric car with their 10,000USD+ battery.

Almost pristine.
It takes a long time (2 to 3 hours) on a K3.

@NiLuJe: is there some search-bar magic that can display the battery capacity report?
We wouldn't want to start Kubrick on a K3 with a low capacity battery.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #3435
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Not that I can remember.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet