Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
font rescaled due to conversion??

I just converted an RTF file, and noticed that the conversion changed the font size in places.
I noticed that, whenever a "long" - is present (damn that char, don't remember its name) the text that follows is scaled down.
Unfortunately in this text that char is used to introduce a dialogue.
This problem persists when converting both to LRF and EPUB, even if I check "disable font size rescaling"

any help sooooooo appreciated....

Damn that "--" !!!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
the dam dash

You might try converting to HTML first.

After conversion to HTML then you can examine the HTML source around what I believe is called em dash, and see what is being sent. You can also then do a search and replace for the em dash code and replace it with a plain ordinary dash. It is not so decorative, but it also is not going to be misinterpreted or give grief either.

You can edit HTML documents in several programs, Word, Open Office, Kompozer and no doubt several others.

Just think of yourself an explorer on the wild frontier of ebooks (grin)!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You might try converting to HTML first.

After conversion to HTML then you can examine the HTML source around what I believe is called em dash, and see what is being sent. You can also then do a search and replace for the em dash code and replace it with a plain ordinary dash. It is not so decorative, but it also is not going to be misinterpreted or give grief either.

You can edit HTML documents in several programs, Word, Open Office, Kompozer and no doubt several others.

Just think of yourself an explorer on the wild frontier of ebooks (grin)!
I remember in a thread in the past involuntarily almost arising a flame war due to the fact that - believing that all these kind of dashes can be confusing - I proposed a small utility able to replace them with the common dash... so be careful when you suggest that it is not so decorative ;-)

I'll work on it, though I still dont understand why calibre acts this way, it's the 1st time it happens (in ~500 books), and I'd believe it would be a customizable option!

thank you

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote