Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #46
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Okay VR, this one is for you -- bacon maple donuts

http://www.baconunwrapped.com/2007/1...-doughnut.html
that is one handsome doughnut, i may do as rwood said, let's see, la north to portland, yeah, more than a weekend trip if we drive, i think my g/f has family in that area, do i go to meet her family or just for the doughnuts?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #47
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
that is one handsome doughnut, i may do as rwood said, let's see, la north to portland, yeah, more than a weekend trip if we drive, i think my g/f has family in that area, do i go to meet her family or just for the doughnuts?
Hummm, possibly, do you think they appreciate a good donut?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There was a little donut shop near where I lived in grad school in Boston that made a yeast (i.e.: not a cake donut) with maple icing. It was the best donut I can remember.
Can you remember the name of this shop?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #49
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sadly, no. It was around Davis Square in Sommerville near Steve's Ice Cream and Ruby Begonia's. That was 1977.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #50
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Sadly, no. It was around Davis Square in Sommerville near Steve's Ice Cream and Ruby Begonia's. That was 1977.
Could it be Verna's Coffee & Donut Shop?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #51
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Could it be Verna's Coffee & Donut Shop?

WDE.
Possible; but, I keep thinking it was a few blocks southeast of there. The name sounds right. Perhaps they moved over the years as there has been a lot of redevelopment around there over the years. The handcut glazed donut looks right and the early Sunday closing is consistant with my memories.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #52
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Possible; but, I keep thinking it was a few blocks southeast of there. The name sounds right. Perhaps they moved over the years as there has been a lot of redevelopment around there over the years. The handcut glazed donut looks right and the early Sunday closing is consistant with my memories.
Did you look at the picture gallery. Some of the donuts look somewhat unique and you see more of the display cases.
Also found Verna's Donut Shop in Cambridge is Closing
Plus Verna's Donut Shop closes its doors. (Watch "While the rest of the world slept" video, it gives you the history of the place.)

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-23-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #53
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Boy, some of you guys sure take your doughnuts seriously (closet bakers? or just getting close to lunchtime?) I bet one of you even has a fully illustrated ebook entitled "The History of the Doughnut, Past, Present and Future." No, that would be more like a Coffee Table Book I guess.

I'm getting sooooo hungry . . . Hurry May 2nd!!!!!
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #54
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
Ummm, Google maps tells me a bacon maple bar is 10 hours and 2 minutes away. (597 miles)

I've gone farther for a good hot dog.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #55
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Did you look at the picture gallery. Some of the donuts look somewhat unique and you see more of the display cases.
Also found Verna's Donut Shop in Cambridge is Closing
Plus Verna's Donut Shop closes its doors. (Watch "While the rest of the world slept" video, it gives you the history of the place.)

WDE.
The donuts look right, hand cut, full of flavor, a true treat. It looks like the place although the older store on the corner looks like the place.

Of the places mentioned in the video, Arlington is about five minutes north of where they are and the other (older) store is a few blocks east. I lived about five minutes east-northeast of there.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #56
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
At the Farmer's Markets down at the footy oval every Sunday, there's a stand that makes, on-the-spot, "organic" donuts (I don't really care about the "organic", but they do). Anyway, these aren't rolled by machine, but my hand, making them a really rough-and-tumble affair, size of a bagel, but a surface quite hacked-at but which therefore catches an enormous amount of the cinnamon sugar they're rolled in straight out of the fryer. Warm, melty, sweet-sweet-sweet and yummy, they're enough to give me a migraine within about 15 minutes, but it's worth it.
Marc
OH! MY! GOSH! That is just not fair!!! I want one!!!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #57
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
OH! MY! GOSH! That is just not fair!!! I want one!!!
I'm having one tomorrow morning. I can always describe it to you, for the vicarious pleasure, if you want.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #58
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Is it the second yet? I want a donut. I just finished the last Easter Peep and my coffee is lonely.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #59
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Is it the second yet? I want a donut. I just finished the last Easter Peep and my coffee is lonely.
Well, it's the second time this hour I've thought about doughnuts, so you may have one
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #60
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Doughnuts apparently meet the European Union criteria for nutritious foods:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...d-1673411.html

What a surprise.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glace au four