Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thumbs up Who's done more than anyone to get the Sony Reader accepted by e-book vendors?

I ask this question in all sincerity, but it seems to me that the answer can only be Kovid Goyal.

At last count, his libprs500 tool has been used by two different e-book vendors (Fictionwise, and Baen) to make their offerings available in LRF format. Seems to me that he's been more successful in getting the BBeB format out there in just over a year than Sony has in the several since they came up with the thing.

I think even for folks who don't use the application, that's worth noting, and perhaps a word of thanks. For those so inclined, note that he has a tip jar up on his site.

Also note that Kovid has no idea I'm posting this, it's all my own thoughts and idea. I know I'm running the risk of embarrassing the poor guy, but I thought his achievement ought to be specifically pointed out and recognized.

So thanks, Kovid, you rock!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
at the very least that's worth some karma...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Indeed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm just happy I can contribute to the cause of e-books, but the karma and the appreciation is much appreciated.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
madamos
madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'madamos knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PRS-505, Kindle Fire, Nexus One, Viewsonic Gtab(CM7)
I have to say, as a new owner, that the application Kovid Goyal developed did a lot to help me decide. I wanted to have a good way to manage the device on my linux and windows boxes (home and work) and it fit the bill.

So you have my thanks for an extremely useful tool and it seems like I bought at the right time since Baen started using it!
madamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I second the montion that Kovid Rocks!

This is definitely an awesome application. This application is the difference between making the SONY Reader an okay reader to an excellent reader.

So how does it feel to have created a far superior product, on your spare time than that provided by the SONY corp. (Those are some serious bragging rights)

__
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It feels good :-)
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Well I am a fan of your product and thank you and hold you in high esteem for your efforts and willingness to help all of "US" less technically inclined to profit and enjoy the benefits of your knowledge.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I ask this question in all sincerity, but it seems to me that the answer can only be Kovid Goyal.

For those so inclined, note that he has a tip jar up on his site.
I just got a PRS-505 and my converted files look ever so much better when converted on his program vs. any other. Mobicreator takes out the clickable TOC or pictures or both, etc. etc. Not so with Kovids program.

I want to second Nat's nudge about the 'tip jar'. I sent Kovid some PayPal dough today and hope others will too!

It's here: https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just wanted to add my sincere thanks Kovid. I'm a newbie here--and a newbie to my PRS505--just received it yesterday. Your program is awesome!!!

Thanks!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Mobicreator takes out the clickable TOC or pictures or both, etc. etc.
It most certainly does not - you must be using it incorrectly. Take a look at all the Mobi books I've uploaded - they're done with Mobi creator and have a TOC, pictures, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
carlosarranz
carlosarranz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Kovidgoyal and libprs500 are noted even here, in Spain. Cheers and congratulations for all his efforts.
carlosarranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Just got my 505 and this program is fantastic! Thank you for the hard work.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote