Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
Sony Gives Full Refund to Sight-Impaired Customer

I am happy to report that Sony has provided me a full refund (purchase price plus tax) on my PRS-505 Reader (even after it was engraved), the A/C Adapter, and all eBooks purchased from their online store.

Sony specifically markets their device for the sight-impaired, even though it does not consistently meet the needs of many people who fall under that category.

I see this as a victory for all sight-impaired Sony customers who wish to pursue a refund from Sony for the Reader and/or eBooks in the event either (or both) do not meet their expectations.

Feel free to read more details about my experience at: http://crusading4u.blogspot.com/
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Wow just read your story and its a shame that you feel that way! i hope sony keep the note about visually impaired though... as my parents who both have poor vision love the 505 and have been able to read all of the books I have shown them in Large landscape mode easily, but struggle to read many print books due to the tiny text used.
They will be getting their own soon (waiting to see if sony start selling in UK first however)

I am a bit puzzled though as to why you sent the reader back? you seem perfectly happy with it and said yourself that
"Within a few days of purchase, I downloaded my free 100 classic books and had no problem reading text for most of them, so long as I used the Large Font selection in Landscape Mode."

So if the reader was fine and worked well for you why the unhapiness and complaint? Isnt it just the poor quality and formatting of the connect store books that were the issue? I can understand why you would want a refund on those.

but what was actually wrong with the READER itself? that doesnt meet the claim "The text can also be magnified for sight-impaired readers." seems to be true from what you said.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I am confused too. Why would you have a complaint against the device when the books were the reason for the problem? Plus, you also said that you could get many of the classics books available for sale from Sony from other sources, which would better formatted for the reader.

It sounds to me that Sony did more than they should have. The fault was the books, not the Reader.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I believe his point is how Sony advertises this device for the sight-impaired. And he is right. I think Sony's statements are false advertising. You say the fault is in the books (their declared fonts) but Sony could have provided a function to adjust the actual fonts, either on the fly or in the Library application. THAT is how you brag about being a device for the visually impaired.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Crusader have you thought of purchasing MS Reader format eBooks and stipping the DRM and then using lit2lrf to convert? You get to choose the font size you want to use. I find that using 11point for small is good for most people to read while Larger would be good for sight impaired. Plus you can set the margins so you get more per line and also the word spacing as well. So basically, you get to tailor the books to the way you want. Even more control then if you had a Gen3 or a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I believe his point is how Sony advertises this device for the sight-impaired. And he is right. I think Sony's statements are false advertising. You say the fault is in the books (their declared fonts) but Sony could have provided a function to adjust the actual fonts, either on the fly or in the Library application. THAT is how you brag about being a device for the visually impaired.
But as I said and as he said the device IS suitable... its SOME books he had that werent.

yes the device could make it even better by having an even larger zoom but the size is already much better that an actual book, so why should sony not be able to point this out?

And its good that they say this because otherwise people with vision problems wouldnt be aware of what it can do.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Some people always complain no matter what. You can nitpick any product to dead. Sony is often targeted because it is big. It is wise for them to just do a refund because it doesn't worth the effort to fight and argue with that small number of people. Especially in America, anybody can suit anybody to dead.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
But as I said and as he said the device IS suitable... its SOME books he had that werent.

yes the device could make it even better by having an even larger zoom but the size is already much better that an actual book, so why should sony not be able to point this out?

And its good that they say this because otherwise people with vision problems wouldnt be aware of what it can do.
Don't you think, though, that for a person with vision problems, a device such as the Gen3 or Kindle, where the reader chooses the font size, rather than it being defined in the book, is probably more suitable?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think, though, that for a person with vision problems, a device such as the Gen3 or Kindle, where the reader chooses the font size, rather than it being defined in the book, is probably more suitable?
of course, just as a 8x zoom on a camera is better than a 3x zoom.
doesnt mean a camera with a 3x zoom cant claim to let you see things closer up though does it.

The fact is though that the reader IS good for people with impaired sight... better than a paperback but not as good as the gen3 or kindle i agree, doesnt mean Sony are lying though does it?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some people seem awfully quick to use words like "lying" when they disagree with someone else. The fact that one person disagrees with Sony's claims that the Sony is suitable for people with vision problems doesn't mean that they are "lying".

Stustaff - I agree with you; the fact that the Reader CAN magnify text suggests to me that it's a reasonable claim to make, even if it doesn't magnify as much as someone may wish it to. However, I think that both the Kindle and the Gen3 are probably better than the Sony in this respect in that they don't depend on font sizes being "hard wired" into particular books, but allow the user a free choice of font size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some people seem awfully quick to use words like "lying" when they disagree with someone else. The fact that one person disagrees with Sony's claims that the Sony is suitable for people with vision problems doesn't mean that they are "lying".

Stustaff - I agree with you; the fact that the Reader CAN magnify text suggests to me that it's a reasonable claim to make, even if it doesn't magnify as much as someone may wish it to. However, I think that both the Kindle and the Gen3 are probably better than the Sony in this respect in that they don't depend on font sizes being "hard wired" into particular books, but allow the user a free choice of font size.
Agree with everything you say there HarryT
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Sorry, but I think Crusader is being very harsh. I specifically bought a Reader for my mother, who is partially-sighted, and converted a pile of books for her into a large font. And so far she thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread! ... the only time she puts it down is when she goes to sleep!
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, if you are converting the books yourself then it is easy to choose a large font.

Sony often have their books in an irritatingly small font, though, and even if you set the Reader to large print, you can still end up squinting at it.

I think the solution is to buy commercial books elsewhere in lit format, and convert them to lrf, setting the font size to large in Book Designer or whatever program you are using.

If anyone needs one of my uploaded books in a larger-print format then please pm me and I will see about making it up - it's only a case of tweaking the settings in the BD file.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sight impaired can be different things and to varying degrees, would be hard to please everyone
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
sight impaired can be different things and to varying degrees, would be hard to please everyone
Sorry to ask you, but you have got this message
Device: Kindle on order and a Sony on order for ages. Did you actually get any of them yet?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote