Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #331
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
So, now with Google eBookstore support, with Bluefire Reader you can read books from Google, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Borders, Kobo, Books-A-Million, BooksOnBoard, Diesel, cyberbooks, ebooks.com, all Romance, and many others. And your local public library. Wooot!
The only thing missing is the ability to read from your local Calibre installation's OPDS feed. Boo!
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #332
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Micah,

I have some library-related questions and suggestions:

I was going to ask for a 'Return' feature, but I poked around and discovered it is already there! (by the way Overdrive Media Console that just came out seems to lack this feature, which seems Wrong..)

The library portal on overdrive.com now lets you download ebooks to iOS, but Overdrive Media Center gobbles up the ACSM file without letting me choose BF to open it instead. Is there something BF can do about that? I still need OMC for audiobook lending, so uninstalling it is not an option for me.

As it is, I have been downloading the ascm file to my computer and then emailing it to my iPod, where I can choose to have BF open it. But I'd prefer to do it all on my iPod.

It would be nice if BF displayed some information about where the borrowed item originates. OMC does this.

Finally it would be nice if I could add a web link to my library portal on the Get Books page, so that I can use that to go there directly from BF.

Thanks for a great app!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #333
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
The only thing missing is the ability to read from your local Calibre installation's OPDS feed. Boo!
Yea, I hear you. working on that.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #334
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Micah,

I have some library-related questions and suggestions:

I was going to ask for a 'Return' feature, but I poked around and discovered it is already there! (by the way Overdrive Media Console that just came out seems to lack this feature, which seems Wrong..)

The library portal on overdrive.com now lets you download ebooks to iOS, but Overdrive Media Center gobbles up the ACSM file without letting me choose BF to open it instead. Is there something BF can do about that? I still need OMC for audiobook lending, so uninstalling it is not an option for me.

As it is, I have been downloading the ascm file to my computer and then emailing it to my iPod, where I can choose to have BF open it. But I'd prefer to do it all on my iPod.

It would be nice if BF displayed some information about where the borrowed item originates. OMC does this.

Finally it would be nice if I could add a web link to my library portal on the Get Books page, so that I can use that to go there directly from BF.

Thanks for a great app!
Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do (in the app) about the way Overdrive is doing their fulfillment links. I've reached out to them to see if there is anything they can/will do to improve that. We'll see. Some folks have done some work in this area that might be worth checking out. Here's a good post on that topic at Liz Castro's blog "Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis" at http://bit.ly/bfJgGG and it talks about Greg William's bookmarklet which he has since updated and the latest version of that is found here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1572127/bfr_bookmarklet_1.4.txt

As to showing where the book originated, that's something I'd like to do both for loans and for purchased items. Looking at the options there for technical approaches to capturing that info. Probably not coming right away, but high on our list.

Web links is an interesting suggestion, I'd not thought of that. We do plan to offer a way to manually "add" OPDS feeds as mentioned, but links are another thing. I'll ponder that.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #335
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post

As to showing where the book originated, that's something I'd like to do both for loans and for purchased items. Looking at the options there for technical approaches to capturing that info. Probably not coming right away, but high on our list.

Web links is an interesting suggestion, I'd not thought of that. We do plan to offer a way to manually "add" OPDS feeds as mentioned, but links are another thing. I'll ponder that.
I don't know how it works under the hood, but OMC's 'Get Books' page has an 'Add a Website' button. Clicking on this launches Safari on an overdrive search page (http://search.overdrive.com/newwebsitefinder?country=US' in my case). But simply navigating to a library portal does not seem to add it to the list (and I wouldn't expect it to). Maybe you have to actually login (in which case how would OMC know?), or more likely it doesn't get added until you actually download an item to OMC. I can't seem to edit or delete the one entry I have there (not that I want to), so the underlying paradigm is not clear.

Anyway, thanks again.

I think I saw something on this thread about an alternate iOS web browser that lets you direct downloads to the app of your choice (including Dropbox etc.) so I'll check that out. Sounds like that would workaround having to use a computer to get library books into BF.
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #336
km45
km45 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I spent some time working through the setup on Liz Castro's blog. Thanks to all that contributed to the process. It does work directly to Bluefire although only one book per session, apparently. I had two books to download but could only access one of them.

I do have to say, however, that the convoluted process of dealing with libraries, along with the extremely slow Overdrive catalog and search process, I fully understand why Amazon and Apple, etc. are making big dollars!

Ken
km45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #337
3goldens
3goldens began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Any word on the freeze and hang people are experiencing with ipad/iphone jail broken 4.2?
3goldens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #338
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I think I saw something on this thread about an alternate iOS web browser that lets you direct downloads to the app of your choice (including Dropbox etc.) so I'll check that out. Sounds like that would workaround having to use a computer to get library books into BF.
Look for my post in this thread about using icab to directly download library books and open in BF Reader. It works great for me on my iPad. YMMV, of course, but I'm thrilled with it!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #339
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
Look for my post in this thread about using icab to directly download library books and open in BF Reader. It works great for me on my iPad. YMMV, of course, but I'm thrilled with it!
Yes, but you probably don't have OMC installed (can you confirm this?).

At least with OMC installed, I never get the chance to redirect the download to Dropbox. OMC launches and gobbles it up.

I use OMC to get library audiobooks so I don't want to uninstall it. But I may do that anyway just to confirm my suspicions.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #340
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Tomsem -

I had OMC installed on my iPad. I have since uninstalled it for the reason you are having problems: It opens up when I go to download the book from the library web site. As it's not that great on the iPad [yet - when compared to BlueFire reader], I deleted it. I'd rather use iCab to get the ascm file to the reader app...

Kind of annoying, to be honest. I can sympathize with your troubles ... and your need to keep it for audio books.

So, you don't need to uninstall it as I can confirm your suspicions. Sorry 'bout that.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #341
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Yes, but you probably don't have OMC installed (can you confirm this?).

At least with OMC installed, I never get the chance to redirect the download to Dropbox. OMC launches and gobbles it up.

I use OMC to get library audiobooks so I don't want to uninstall it. But I may do that anyway just to confirm my suspicions.
You're right - I do not have OMC installed. I'm not a fan of audio books, so it's not an issue for me. I guess for now you'll have to figure out which is more important. Hopefully, that will get fixed soon!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #342
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I finally had a chance to try the 'bookmarklet' workaround suggested by Micah that is documented on Liz Castro's blog Pigs, Gourds, and Wikis. I had to modify the procedure a little to work on my iPod, and it is a little awkward, but it does work.

In particular, the bookmarklet only works with the 'full' Overdrive web site, so I needed to figure out the url to use for my library's 'full' (non mobile) overdrive web site/portal (bookmaking that for future use), so that I could run the bookmarklet in the appropriate context. After doing so, 'Download' executes the new javascript that gives a 'Open in Bluefire' choice.

If I get some time I'll see if the 'bookmarklet' approach can be adopted to work with the mobile Overdrive site, since that is easier to navigate on an iPod/iPhone, and it is the one that the OMC application launches.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-12-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #343
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post
Any word on the freeze and hang people are experiencing with ipad/iphone jail broken 4.2?
We have fixed the occasional freeze when returning to an open book in 4.2 and will be submitting the update in the next few days. In the mean time, you can quit the app and re-launch to solve it.

As to the jailbroken phone issue of freezing on exit, we are still struggling with reproducing it. If anyone on this list has experienced it, can you please post a note here with model, OS, what kit you used for jailbreaking, and any details that might help us reproduce it? Alternatively you can send the details in email to info@bluefire.tv
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #344
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Any plan for supporting bookmark syncing across multiple iOS devices?
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #345
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
The bookmarklet works great on the iPad. I had been downloading and opening the acsm via the iCab browser, but the bookmarklet makes the process even simpler. Thanks to Greg Williams for making this so easy!

http://blog.gregoryjwilliams.com/archives/39
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote