Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Lightbulb On screen clock for your iLiad

Now that iRex is about to release re-flash... some of you may wish to give this a go.

The iLiad uses the Matchbox UI tool kit and one of the standard applets for that tool kit is a little clock. It docks onto the icon bar on the iLiad and when you refresh your screen you'll get the latest time there on your screen next to the trash can.

Built from standard unmodified Matchbox source that iRex has had all along themselves... if you so choose you can now don your adventurous hat and risk brickage of your iLiad by installing this birth right of the Matchbox tool kit.

Extract and then transfer the mb-applet-clock in the attached zip file to the /usr/bin directory of your iLiad. Do a chmod +x upon it so it can be executed, very important to not forget that! Also, do not put a symlink from there to a storage card unless you really want to test iRex's re-flash tool!

You will then need to vi /home/root/start.sh and update it as follows.

Code:
/usr/bin/matchbox-panel --size 39 --no-menu --bgcolor White --no-session --default-apps mb-applet-clock,mb-applet-icon-container &
Order counts, don't get creative, just copy and paste to replace the original line. Remember, you get too creative with this file and your iLiad turns into a very uncreative brick.

Of course if you would rather raise your voice to iRex to get them to make this handy little applet, that could have been there from the very beginning, available from iDS... hey, I agree: give 'em hell!

If you are concerned about power draw. The code sleeps 59.90 out of 60 seconds, waking for roughly 10ms each minute to redraw the time so it can be transfered to the eink display on the next screen refresh (or not, if you are a slow reader.) The clock does not force a screen refresh.

Don't forget to use SetTimeZone to set your local time zone, unless of course you live in UTC.

EDIT: Removed code to prevent more brickage.

Last edited by scotty1024; 05-03-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Remove dangerous temptation
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Nice work scotty! Good to have you back on iliad development. Although I will wait one more upgrade before I install this (since the reflash update is coming "soon" )
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I run a modded "install-clock" shell script, last time I have bricked my iLiad with a bad script version.
Execution rights of /home/root/starth.sh didn't get lost. Uuuh.
I found 1 problem: Because the the clock is added in toolbar, 2 icons in the left disappear.
A screenshot of clock in toolbar is attached.
[EDIT:] Correction: the portrait/landscape icon is missing in pdf viewer; larger/smaller font icons in html/txt viewer are missing ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.png
Views:	874
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	3807  

Last edited by yokos; 06-05-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: ipdf: 1 icon
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
I run a modded "install-clock" shell script, last time I have bricked my iLiad with a bad script version.
Execution rights of /home/root/starth.sh didn't get lost. Uuuh.
I found 1 problem: Because the the clock is added in toolbar, 2 icons in the left disappear.
A screenshot of clock in toolbar is attached.
[EDIT:] Correction: the portrait/landscape icon is missing in pdf viewer; larger/smaller font icons in html/txt viewer are missing ...
That is the biggest problem with adding addition icons to the toolbar. I've tried, with moderate success, running an additional toolbar above the default or at top. But it seems to cramp the screen area, and cause alignment problems with the contentlister. Until irex makes the second toolbar "float" so it's always at the right hand side of the screen, I don't think there's anything else we can do.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote