Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Best Buy near me was notorious for repackaging returned items and placing them on the shelves as brand new. I once bought a cordless phone. The package looked unopened. I got home and discovered quite a few names and phone numbers already entered into memory. Quite obviously a recycled, returned item. I took it back and they acted dumb, well maybe not so much on the acting part. Over the years I've gotten several items like this from BB that were obviously just recycled returns. One of the reasons I mostly shop at Amazon now.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #47
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
On the subject of Best Buy, I had a look at the display model at Best Buy this afternoon on my lunch break and it had green blotches all over it. Ugh. They are currently out of stock of PW's at all the Best Buy's in my area. The rep at BB told me they sold like hotcakes. After seeing the display model, I somehow don't feel like I missed out.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #48
RitaPita
RitaPita began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePaperWhite
Hello I've been following this thread for awhile. Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my 3rd KPW replacement and it is def. refurbished. The box on top, has a sticker that says R and when I opened it, there was no quick start guide like my 1st new KPW, also the screen was alot worse then my current KPW!! It has pink and green all over it. It's upsetting that Amazon is repackaging and sending out replacement KPWs and telling customers they are new when it's so obviously refurbished. I think my best bet will be to return my KPW and just reorder a new one to ensure I stop getting refurbished ones!
RitaPita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hi RitaPita and welcome to the forum!

Both of my replacements had an "R" on the box, but I think it meant "Replacement" as I received both way to early for them to have been refurbs. However, anything is possible!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #50
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Mine had R on my replacements too also with lack of a quick start guide. At this point with the PW I would not doubt they are sending out refurbs. Several people asked CS about refurbs and CS stated they do not send out refurbs only to check the serial # to make sure huh...............really.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #51
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started a new thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194935

regarding a phone call I had with Amazon Kindle CS tonight. They called me and said they are aware of the color hue defect. I was glad to finally have them own up to it.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #52
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
How's your device? Color blobs? Holes in the screen? Artifacst underneath the screen? Bright hotspots? Perfect screen?
No, it looks really good compared to what I expected after reading this thread. It has the four dark spots on the bottom but that's it.
I'm considering myself lucky!
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #53
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post
No, it looks really good compared to what I expected after reading this thread. It has the four dark spots on the bottom but that's it.
Congratulations!! I want two like that.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #54
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post
That's great, I'm happy for you! I hope we can all get ones we're happy with.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #55
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Supervisor admitted they sent out Refurbs/returns for replacements

Just saw this on the kindle boards:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1UUYWSYGP33MR
Quote:
Well I've had 4 replacements and just called again. Ready to give up but figured I would ask for a supervisor. I just spoke with Matt J a supervisor who admitted after I questioned the R on the package & no quick start guide that I was sent refurbished kindles. He said they have no new ones to send as replacements right now. He processed a request for a new replacement that may take 4-6 weeks to receive and extended my return period for a full refund to 90 days. He still never acknowledged the colors on the screen issue stating he had not heard of the issue (seriously!). I also asked the first person I spoke to if they were aware of the issue & he hesitated but then said he was sorry for my issues. I know they are not allowed to admit they know about the issue. I have worked customer service long enough to know that companies never want the consumer to know they have an issue that's not isolated to only a few people. I'm surprised Matt admitted I had received refurbished units. I told him I wish they would have told me that 3 kindles ago and not wasted time or money to send me units that other people obviously didn't want. I don't mind waiting for a nice clear screen that's one color only but I could have been waiting for 3 weeks now instead my time starts today. Hopefully it's worth the wait. I do love everything about this kindle except the different colors on the screen & other screen issues..lol
Well, that sound like a terrible idea on Amazon's part, they are just wasting postage.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #56
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Hmm.. that's surprising they would admit they are sending out refurbs because they have no new units to send. I was suspicious they were sending me someone else's returned unit for my replacement, but CS insisted it was a new unit. Either scenario is obviously very disreputable behavior, if it's true.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #57
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Hmm.. that's surprising they would admit they are sending out refurbs because they have no new units to send. I was suspicious they were sending me someone else's returned unit for my replacement, but CS insisted it was a new unit. Either scenario is obviously very disreputable behavior, if it's true.
I suspected this all along. What are the chances of continually receiving a bad unit as a replacement I bet that they were hoping folks would settle for one not as bad as their old unit. Think about it, the PW are several weeks back-ordered for new purchases but replacement units were immediate.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #58
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Are new orders definitely taking a while to be sent out? If so, then I guess it makes sense, but why on earth would Amazon be so stupid to consider sending out returned units to people who aren't happy with their original Kindle, that just seems bizarre, and a recipe for disaster?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #59
jswinden
Nameless Being

If they are sending repackaged units that were returned by others complaining about blotches and color hues, I still doubt they have had time to refurbish any, then perhaps that is a silver lining in the cloud. They can send us 100 replacements like that and we would probably never be satisfied, but it explains the odds defying reception of so many bad units one after another. If they will stop sending returned units, assuming they are doing so, customers will probably start to see good units.

That's all highly speculative as there seems to be little effort on the part of CS to even coordinate their responses to us, which indicates that Amazon might still be clueless as to a solution.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Hi guys, this ia a troubling post. Thanks for sharing, ultimatejimmy.
I must say that Wth all the replacements I received, I never saw an R on any of my boxes. However, the first replacements (I got two in one box) included one that did not turn on and that had a repair message on it. I now wonder of it was somebody else's.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote