Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #496
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Bug report:

If you start kindle pdf viewer with shift p k (kill framework) after a stand-by period "going into screensaver" message pops and it never goes away. I mean the screen saver is never displayed. Though the kindle goes to sleep and you have to wake it to continue reading by slider.

If you start kindle pdf viewer without killing framework, the screen saver is displayed fine.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #497
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
Anybody noticed battery issue?
If I let the kindle dx go to screensaver in file browser mode, the battery level didn't change overnight.
However, if it go to screensaver in reading mode, the battery level dropped from 49% to 39% in 8 hours. This is definitely not right.

Update: it dropped to 7% after 5 mins. I have to recharge it immediately.
It seemed that I have to restore to previous version.

Last edited by dracodoc; 05-31-2012 at 05:46 PM.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #498
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Would you mind trying the same version again, after a full device reboot? Just to make sure it's not another process running havoc.

@reprep: Yep, the screensaver is a function of the Java framework. When you say the message ain't going away, does that mean that even after triggering the power switch again it won't go away?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #499
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Would you mind trying the same version again, after a full device reboot? Just to make sure it's not another process running havoc.

@reprep: Yep, the screensaver is a function of the Java framework. When you say the message ain't going away, does that mean that even after triggering the power switch again it won't go away?
Is "top" installed on these machines?
Is there an easy way that a user could view it?

Or would this require one of the terminal emulators to be installed?

Hmm... "ps aux" would give more information, but would probably require the posting of a screen capture so we could translate for the end user.

Edit:
If available -
ps aux >/mnt/us/ps.txt
or
top -bn1 >/mnt/us/top.txt
would generate a text file the end user could post for us to read.

Last edited by knc1; 05-31-2012 at 07:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #500
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK, I'll install new version again. See what will happens with full reboot.

Another question, it seemed that the last reading position is not kept after update. I thought the last reading position is saved in the book.lua file, which should be recognized by newer version.

I checked the book.lua file, it said "last page"=125, which is correct, but the newer version opened the book at page 101.

Last edited by dracodoc; 05-31-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #501
dracodoc
Connoisseur

The recent 1 hour seemed OK. My last installation didn't use the shift shift space to reload launchpad, will that cause problem I met?

Update: after 2 hours, I woke up the kindle, it stopped at the kindle home screen with a circle at top. I pushed the slider, there was some messed up display, then it lost response.

I read for 15 mins, put it into screen saver. Then I woke it up, it displayed some messed up screen again. After several moves of the slider, I guess it is in kindle home screen actually but with messed up display. I used shift P R to restart amazon framework, it did restart and back to normal.

I'm using rcount=0 to force global refresh, and some customized pic for screen saver (but in kindle resolution). I guess it's a bug related to memory usage, maybe there is not enough memory.

Actually the new features in file processing is of little use to me, I decided to turn back to older version. But I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade when there are more new features available...

Last edited by dracodoc; 06-01-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #502
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
@hawhill:

nope, after triggering the switch, it goes away. Just the screensaver is not shown. Not a big deal though.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #503
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
Another question, it seemed that the last reading position is not kept after update. I thought the last reading position is saved in the book.lua file, which should be recognized by newer version.

I checked the book.lua file, it said "last page"=125, which is correct, but the newer version opened the book at page 101.
Well, in contrast to older versions, the new kpdf no longer saves the history files (like book.lua) in the folder with the book, but in the fixed folder mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/history/ Thus, to some extent it is incompatible with older kpdf-versions (unless you manually move & rename book.lua following the pattern '[#path] filename.lua'). It might be a reason of what you have reported. If you kept in mind something else, please, be more specific - what is the filetype? if the file is opened by crereader (epub, mobi, etc), did you change the fontface, fontsize?

[EDIT] Mea culpa... cre-documents are usually saved with 'last_percent', rather than 'page'. So, your book is definitely not cre-document.

Last edited by NuPogodi; 06-01-2012 at 03:16 AM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #504
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Great work. I just install it and it runs smoothly.
Well this is a big problem maybe you do not care : it can not show chinese word.
I try to replace the font in \kindlepdfviewer\fonts\droid and it still does not work.
Just show 口口 instead of chinese words or other asia words.
I think it is a small case for you expert.
Thank you very much.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #505
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
Well this is a big problem maybe you do not care : it can not show chinese word.
I try to replace the font in \kindlepdfviewer\fonts\droid and it still does not work.
@xueyou2: it was a problem for me to test whether chinese glyphs are present in the default font or not. I guess that dave2008 may help you with a competent advice what should be changed to solve this problem.

@devs: I've just obtained some feedback from a lucky owner of K2. kpdf runs smoothly also in his device. The only problem was that the left_page_forward button was not activated. So i've sent him a bit modified version to define the keycode of this button. He has done it, then added the line KEY_LPGFWD = 104 (i.e. the same keycode as in K3) to default keys in keys.lua and wrote me that now it works properly.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #506
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Wow dude - I just got my Kindle back (long story) and so had my first attempt using this software. It sure is gorgeous! I really love the shortcut help being accessible in the software. I actually have tried reading other books using this software too, and it worked beautifully. I must now get around to doing a right up for it - in a fortnight I'll have some spare time.

Thanks so much. I love it!
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #507
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
Great work. I just install it and it runs smoothly.
I think it is a small case for you expert.
Thank you very much.
hi xueyou2,

Chinese words are rendered properly here in my K3. You can try with the DroidSansFallback or AR PL Sungtil GB font. Both of them supports Chinese Characters.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #508
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
I've just updated the Introduction section of the wiki and added an Installation Guide. Is that all that needs to be done? Have I got it right?

Cheers!
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #509
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
hi xueyou2,

Chinese words are rendered properly here in my K3. You can try with the DroidSansFallback or AR PL Sungtil GB font. Both of them supports Chinese Characters.
Good news.
well i do not know how to do this.
Can you give me detai steps?I just repalce \kindlepdfviewer\fonts\droid\DroidSans.ttf with the DroidSansFallback.ttf and other chinese font like 方正宋体,it does not work.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #510
dracodoc
Connoisseur

That explains the problem I had. The file I read is a pdf (thus have page number).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
Well, in contrast to older versions, the new kpdf no longer saves the history files (like book.lua) in the folder with the book, but in the fixed folder mnt/us/kindlepdfviewer/history/ Thus, to some extent it is incompatible with older kpdf-versions (unless you manually move & rename book.lua following the pattern '[#path] filename.lua'). It might be a reason of what you have reported. If you kept in mind something else, please, be more specific - what is the filetype? if the file is opened by crereader (epub, mobi, etc), did you change the fontface, fontsize?

[EDIT] Mea culpa... cre-documents are usually saved with 'last_percent', rather than 'page'. So, your book is definitely not cre-document.