Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
monstehr
monstehr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Accidentally deleted original SS

Hi folks,

I successfully hacked my K4 to have custom screensavers. In my efforts to restore the original set-up so that I could let the 4.1 update successfully install, I accidentally deleted the .old file.

I've been looking around the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem, but the only backup I found is now a broken link. Can anyone send me an active link so I can restore my kindle to the original state, update, then hack it again?

many thanks!
monstehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@monstehr: You can pull them from the forensic images in the debricking howto (loop mount on a *nix box).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@monstehr: You can pull them from the forensic images in the debricking howto (loop mount on a *nix box).
You can even loop mount them on a kindle -- no need for a linux host PC. And there are windows tools to mount image files too...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
monstehr

I will try it

Thanks for the replies.

I did see those threads and thought I might be able to get the files I needed via that method, but I was a bit daunted and didn't want to harm my kindle further. I will make the attempt and report back success or failure. thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
monstehr

Just an update:

I was able to restore the original screensavers with

dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K, which was kinda freaky since I'm a relative noob.

Anyway, now that I am running the vanilla OS, I have to wait for the update to filter from amazon. I think I read about a way to download the update and install it manually, so if my kindle doesn't "find" it on it's own in an hour or two I might try that.

thanks so much for your help!
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstehr View Post
Just an update:

dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K, which was kinda freaky since I'm a relative noob.

Anyway, now that I am running the vanilla OS, I have to wait for the update to filter from amazon. I think I read about a way to download the update and install it manually, so if my kindle doesn't "find" it on it's own in an hour or two I might try that.

Sometimes "brute force" is simpler, as you did to restore a backup partition. I hope using "dd" got rid of some "noob fear". Now check out the "eink algorithmic art" scripts for more "freaky" uses of "dd".

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstehr View Post
Just an update:

You just replaced the entire main mode file system.

Which could have caused you a lot more problems than what you had. You got lucky.

I also noticed that the people who suggested that you just copy out the missing screen savers from the image file, didn't bother to tell you how to do that or give a reference you could have learned from.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I also noticed that the people who suggested that you just copy out the missing screen savers from the image file, didn't bother to tell you how to do that or give a reference you could have learned from.
Loop mounting is discussed in optware and debian loop mounting threads. I suppose they need to be summarized and indexed, like what silver18 did for the simple debricking guide.

I have gotten complaints from being "too wordy" in my posts, so I have been trying to "condense" them (similar to my code), adding details as requested in follow up posts. I would have supplied them if requested, but the poster chose to restore a backup partition instead. The only potential problem could have been if he also needed a matching kernel...

It is really hard to find a "middle road" where the posts supply enough details without upsetting the people who have difficult time reading English.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
monstehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You just replaced the entire main mode file system.

Which could have caused you a lot more problems than what you had. You got lucky.

yeah, I know my solution was drastic which is why I was so nervous doing it. I actually was attempting to mount the image file and replace the specific parts that I had hosed but for whatever reason I just wasn't able to mount the image file (maybe I misused the right commands or wasn't using the right commands).

I didn't want to whine for specific instructions when you all had been very nice in addressing my issue in the first place. I guess I just figured that if I bricked it, I already had a very successful "debricking" thread at my disposal.