Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Top Ten Terry Pratchett Discworld characters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...haracters.html

For the most part, I agree. I'd probably move Sam Vines a bit further up the list.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
No Rincewind?!?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
No Rincewind?!?
My thoughts exactly.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that you mention it...

Unfortunately, Rincewind kind of disappeared. But, yeah...
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Rincewind wouldn't make my top ten.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Rincewind wouldn't make my top ten.
He's got to be ahead of the luggage, surely?
Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I would put Luggage ahead of Rincewind.

Cohen the Barbarian comes to mind. "I hate shoup."
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Controversy is fun ...
Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Patrician and Ridcully are very strong characters representing two key Ankh-Morpork institutions. I'd consider them for top 10. I'm the least fond of the witch series of books, so they could move down.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
The Patrician and Ridcully are very strong characters representing two key Ankh-Morpork institutions. I'd consider them for top 10. I'm the least fond of the witch series of books, so they could move down.
The Patrician is in there at number 3.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The Patrician is in there at number 3.
Well, then...see, I was right
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
debkeversole
debkeversole began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
all of them!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I would have included Mort, well above Rincewind and the Luggage.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Death well deserves the top space, but I was disappointed Rincewind didn't make it at all. I expect it is the usual "we hate rincewind because he is so depressing" nonsense...

Vimes would've been my #2, followed by Vetinari. Granny Weatherwax should've been #6 after Rincewind #5 and Cohen the Barbarian #4 (not because she isn't an amazing character, but because there are too many greater characters.) Ridcully AND the faculty at UU kinda have to go together, at #8, although the Librarian deserves #7 all to himself, followed by Moist von Lipwig at #9. Colon and Nobbs, the terrible two, are a great team at #10.

I don't see where Tiffany comes in, she was really nothing special and just never stood out to me.

Nanny Ogg was always a sort of appendix to Granny Weatherwax, for which I feel sorry for her, but she wouldn't've got to where she is now without Granny and just doesn't deserve that hallmark of amazingness.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

I'd have thought Carrot might rate a top ten position as well? So my ten would be;

Death
Sam Vimes
Rincewind
The Patrician
Granny Weatherwax
Moist van Lipwig
Mort
Carrot
CMOT Dibbler
Cohen the Barbarian