Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Calibre reader won't read a mobi file it creates

I have attached a zip source file for a book I am working on. I used Calbre with the toc set to //h1 for level 1 and //h2 for level 2. I create the book in both ePUB and MOBI formats. The ePUB works fine now in the Calibre reader but the MOBI book will not load. The reader starts and spins the hour glass forever. It doesn't matter if I build the mobi from the original zip or from the ePUB. The mobi works in the windows mobi reader and on my EZ-Reader (Hanlin).

It would seem to be a reader problem. Has anyone seen this kind of problem before? Note an, earlier version of this book had a similar problem with the ePUB build in the reader but while I was modifying the source it seemed to fix itself.
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Four-Fold Gospel - J. W. McGarvey.zip (679.1 KB, 278 views)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The converted MOBI opens for me. Can you attach the MOBI file causing the problems.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The converted MOBI opens for me. Can you attach the MOBI file causing the problems.
Here you are.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Four-Fold Gospel - J. W. McGarvey.mobi (1.88 MB, 291 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That also works for me, but there have been a couple of bug fixes in MOBI input, so try the next release of calibre
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I just download version 5.12 and the reader will still not read the mobifile it creates. Here is the latest version of the file.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi The Four-Fold Gospel - J. W. McGarvey.mobi (1.84 MB, 291 views)
Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you run the viewer from a command prompt wit hte command

ebook-viewer

hopefully some useful debug output will be printed
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I tried it from the command line. The hour glass spun a few sections and showed the title at the top. It then continued to spin seemingly forever (1 hour at least). There was no output in the command window. The ePUB version of the same file works fine, by the way. I take it you can read the file? I am running Windows XP home fix 3 32 bit version. Pretty much plain vanilla.

Dale
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah it opens for me in about 30 secs. Try starting it like this

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.viewer.main import main; main(['ev'])"
Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah it opens for me in about 30 secs. Try starting it like this

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.viewer.main import main; main(['ev'])"
Here is the command line window output.

E:\>calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.viewer.main import main; main(['ev'])"
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
Exploding MOBI file: E:\EBOOKS\Calibre\J. W. McGarvey\The Four-Fold Gospel (11)\
The Four-Fold Gospel - J. W. McGarvey.mobi

The lin hasn't been detected appeared as I didn't include the eBook on the original command line. I then selected it from the on screen button. It behaves exactly the same but there is no further output.

What is it doing that requires 30 seconds on your machine to open? There are a lot of internal links in the file if that is a clue. Mobipocket brings the file up pretty rapidly for a 1.8 Meg file. (not much compression for Mobi files generated from Calibre. The ePUB is under 800K)

Dale
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre's ebook viewer is meant primarily for epub (it converts all other formats to epub under the hood)

the message it is stuck on "Exploding" means that it s extracting the contents of the mobi file
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
calibre's ebook viewer is meant primarily for epub (it converts all other formats to epub under the hood)

the message it is stuck on "Exploding" means that it s extracting the contents of the mobi file
thanks, I guess I will chalk it up to unsolved mysteries. I used the command line mobi2obi.exe in the same directory and it took the file apart in a few seconds.

Dale