Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvelte54 View Post

To gbm I to found that glibc 2.11.1 is installed so if I understand correctly I need to update the OS?
Yes I would recommend for that computer Xubuntu 12.04, the Unity desktop will run slow if at all.

10.04 has had no security updates in two years and is no longer supported so updating the OS is very highly recommended.

You can manually update to GLIBC 2.13.

Be sure to read the install instructions if all you do is just upgrade glibc.

Tar-ball download link.

Luck
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 12-28-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add link
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I also recommend updating your OS. 10.04 is really outdated, and given all the security issues that were found int he last year in various linux libs, it's reallya good idea to upgrade.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
mvelte54
mvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Ubuntu PC and Kindle II / Kindle Fire HD
Thank you again all. I have tried 12.04 and it runs but on a live CD I'm a little leery about updating it again only to wipe it and reinstall 10.04. I did try 14.04 and there was just no way it would run it was slower than MS 7 running updates.

GDM thank your the link I will attempt to install that and see what happens. I guess the only wise thing to do at this point is upgrade the OS and the machine itself if this doesn't work.

Good day to all and I wish you all a very Happy New Year!
mvelte54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thank you again all. I have tried 12.04 and it runs but on a live CD I'm a little leery about updating it again only to wipe it and reinstall 10.04. I did try 14.04 and there was just no way it would run it was slower than MS 7 running updates.

GDM thank your the link I will attempt to install that and see what happens. I guess the only wise thing to do at this point is upgrade the OS and the machine itself if this doesn't work.

Good day to all and I wish you all a very Happy New Year!
You do not want to run Ubuntu with the Unity or GNOME, desktops on that old of a machine. Use Xubuntu instead or try Mint mate or xfce.

Go to Distrowatch and try some of the light Distro's.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Not only do you not want to run a heavy desktop like Unity or GNOME, you also don't want to judge the speed based on how well it runs off a LiveCD. LiveCDs are slow enough simply by being LiveCDs without compounding the problem by running heavy desktops.
You can get a little better speed by running the Live session from a USB, but that stil won't be as fast as your computer would run when the OS is booted off the internal HDD.

If your HDD is big enough, you might want to repartition and try installing a more recent OS onto a different partition, that way you don't have to worry about reinstalling multiple times over your current OS just to revert.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since the computer is just too old to run the current version, I'd say it's time to upgrade or replace the computer. There comes a time when even Linux isn't going to work well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the computer is just too old to run the current version, [...]
There you go, assuming things for no good reason...
Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the computer is just too old to run the current version, I'd say it's time to upgrade or replace the computer. There comes a time when even Linux isn't going to work well.
A computer with a Pentium 4 is fine (and has SSE2).
Linux Mint (Cinnamon) runs fine along with the latest Calibre from the Official site (not the distro)
Having 1G RAM does not hurt. With a computer that old, stix of DDR Ram can be found free or cheap.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #24
mvelte54
mvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the roughmvelte54 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Ubuntu PC and Kindle II / Kindle Fire HD
To eschwartz: When I said I ran it from a live CD I meant that I ran it off a USB using UNetbooten and I have a Terabyte SSD dual booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. I have the room.
Here is the break down of my little Frankenstein: Running Ubuntu 10.04
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-70-generic-pae
GNOME 2.30.2
Hardware: Memory 2.0 GiB
Processor 0: Intel (R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz Processor 1: Intel (R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz Available disk space 390.8 GiB
I thank you all for your help and suggestions and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to retire my R2 and build another Frankenstein I wonder which came first R2 or C-3? Doesn't matter as long as I learned something along the way.
Thank you all you have been a great help.
mvelte54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #25
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Honestly, that's more than enough to run 14.04 (LTS) or 14.10 in whatever variant you want.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
To eschwartz: When I said I ran it from a live CD I meant that I ran it off a USB using UNetbooten and I have a Terabyte SSD dual booting with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. I have the room.
Here is the break down of my little Frankenstein: Running Ubuntu 10.04
Kernel Linux 2.6.32-70-generic-pae
GNOME 2.30.2
Hardware: Memory 2.0 GiB
Processor 0: Intel (R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz Processor 1: Intel (R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz Available disk space 390.8 GiB
I thank you all for your help and suggestions and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to retire my R2 and build another Frankenstein I wonder which came first R2 or C-3? Doesn't matter as long as I learned something along the way.
Thank you all you have been a great help.
And as I said, LiveUSBs aren't all that hot either. You have to factor in the part where installing to the HDD and especially to an SSD will result in a dramatic speedup over a LiveUSB (which itself has a modest speedup over LiveCD).

I am confident your computer can support whichever current version of Ubuntu you like. The specs are good enough, and I am running Cinnamon-desktop (on Arch) smoothly, on a laptop with a far inferior processor.