Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #31
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No Joel; I think you will find that the charging from the PC is done at the hardware level. The issue being experienced is related to the USB SOFTWARE drivers not being installed correctly on his machine.

I do know that recently davidfor had posted some tips on removing USB drivers from the PC and using a USB diagnostic tool on the PC but I can't remember what thread that was in.
Not to be argumentative, but if you reread my post it explicitly says that charging is not blocked by the firewall. What it is saying is that the function of connecting e-readers to Kobo.com can be blocked by the firewall. Thereby blocking firmware updates and e-books to be downloaded to the e-reader.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
Not to be argumentative, but if you reread my post it explicitly says that charging is not blocked by the firewall. What it is saying is that the function of connecting e-readers to Kobo.com can be blocked by the firewall. Thereby blocking firmware updates and e-books to be downloaded to the e-reader.
No, the device is mounted as a mass storage device. There is no interaction with the firewall. It's possible an anti-virus program could block it, or group policies. But it would probably block other devices. The latter is done in corporate environments, but there is usually a notification when the device is blocked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
No, the device is mounted as a mass storage device. There is no interaction with the firewall. It's possible an anti-virus program could block it, or group policies. But it would probably block other devices. The latter is done in corporate environments, but there is usually a notification when the device is blocked.
I read the message as saying that the firewall could block the computer's ability to connect to Kobo's website and download ebooks or firmware and not that the Kobo ereader's USB connection would be blocked.

We do use some policies on our corporate firewalls at work that can prevent connections to various websites -- at this time, the biggest use is blocking streaming video of Olympic events. For some strange reason, finding out that over the last two weeks, our Internet connection was pretty much maxed out at ~500Mbps for most of the "work" day was not considered a "Good Thing" by higher management.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I read the message as saying that the firewall could block the computer's ability to connect to Kobo's website and download ebooks or firmware and not that the Kobo ereader's USB connection would be blocked.
Rereading it, that is probably what was meant. But, the issue is the the PC isn't seeing the device, so it doesn't get that far. The later post did remind me it is possible to disable or otherwise block devices on the USB ports. I don't think that this is the case in this instance.
Quote:
We do use some policies on our corporate firewalls at work that can prevent connections to various websites -- at this time, the biggest use is blocking streaming video of Olympic events. For some strange reason, finding out that over the last two weeks, our Internet connection was pretty much maxed out at ~500Mbps for most of the "work" day was not considered a "Good Thing" by higher management.
Yes, streaming video at work. Currently, I work for an ISP that mainly does business connections. We frequently get complaints about the link speed and when we investigate, someone is streaming something. And this month I noticed that the first client that went over their download quota had the words "Ice" and "Sports" in their name. It's not hard to guess what they were watching.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, streaming video at work. Currently, I work for an ISP that mainly does business connections. We frequently get complaints about the link speed and when we investigate, someone is streaming something. And this month I noticed that the first client that went over their download quota had the words "Ice" and "Sports" in their name. It's not hard to guess what they were watching.
Hey, I'm a Canadian. It's my patriotic duty to watch ice sports -- written as I'm waiting for the USA/Finland to start the men's hockey bronze medal game.

On a serious note since the 2010 Winter Olympics were in Vancouver, we didn't get nearly the amount of video streaming during work hours. I've been considering the Sochi Olympics as a long running network stress test. It helps -- a bit -- when we get complaints about "my video is stuttering" from a C?? suit.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2014 at 10:15 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What I don't get is if hockey is all that great, then why do Albertans have to get drunk to watch it? Bars here got the provincial OK to open at 5 AM tomorrow for the gold medal round.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
What I don't get is if hockey is all that great, then why do Albertans have to get drunk to watch it? Bars here got the provincial OK to open at 5 AM tomorrow for the gold medal round.
That's in case (horror of horror's) we manage to lose and need to drown our sorrows
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Back on topic, please.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote