Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
USA Today First Look, Kindle Paperwhite

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...ite/57678734/1

"The light on Paperwhite is actually on all the time."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...ite/57678734/1

"The light on Paperwhite is actually on all the time."
Patently false?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I don't think it's inconceivable. I remember hearing that many users of the GlowLight-equipped Nook kept the light on since it dramatically increased the perceived whiteness of the page.

On Amazon's Paperwhite product page, there's no claim anywhere that the light can be turned off. If anything, careful wording seems to avoid stating that it can be disabled: 'You can adjust the brightness of Kindle Paperwhite across a wide spectrum - from low light to full brightness - so you can read comfortably in any setting.'

Edit: I'm also not seeing an Off switch here.

Last edited by flandroid; 09-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
I don't think it's inconceivable. I remember hearing that many users of the GlowLight-equipped Nook kept the light on since it dramatically increased the perceived whiteness of the page.

On Amazon's Paperwhite product page, there's no claim anywhere that the light can be turned off. If anything, careful wording seems to avoid stating that it can be disabled: 'You can adjust the brightness of Kindle Paperwhite across a wide spectrum - from low light to full brightness - so you can read comfortably in any setting.'

The ad does go out of the way to say it gets 8 weeks battery time even with the light on
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I call BS on USA today's statement that the light is always on. The image from engadget shows that the light has been dimmed all the way off. While there is no "off button", dimming it all the way down turns the light off.

Last edited by dukesilver; 09-10-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: grammarzz
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Why would they even recommend having the light on at all in 'brightly lit rooms?' And you don't think they'd want to advertise, say, twelve weeks with the light off rather than eight with it on?

I'll bet a shiny e-dollar that it's always on, even at the lowest setting; we just need to wait for someone to get it and go into the bathroom, close the door with the lights out, and confirm.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Why would they even recommend having the light on at all in 'brightly lit rooms?' And you don't think they'd want to advertise, say, twelve weeks with the light off rather than eight with it on?

I'll bet a shiny e-dollar that it's always on, even at the lowest setting; we just need to wait for someone to get it and go into the bathroom, close the door with the lights out, and confirm.
You need the light at full brightness in a brightly lit room or it will look gray, just like previous eink kindle models.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
flandroid
Connoisseur

There is also that.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
maybe they are confused because there is no "light on/off" option.

If you look at some of the videos and pics though, turning that brightness bar all the way down will shut off the light.

EDIT: dukesilver beat me to it.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Why would they even recommend having the light on at all in 'brightly lit rooms?'
See this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05#post2214705
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
flandroid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
If you look at some of the videos and pics though, turning that brightness bar all the way down will shut off the light
Did they do it in a dark room? You can light a match on a particularly bright sunny day and not see the flame. Doesn't mean it's not lit, touch it and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I tried to read it, but couldn't. The glare of my brightly lit room washed out my monitor.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote