Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
ExMORTIUS
ExMORTIUS began at the beginning.

Device: pocket eDGe
I am working on 2 tablets right now Pocked eDGe and coby kyros 2.3 mod.

mr_ed
Not sure what ones emusan posted. But i have been working with gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip from Cyanogen's wiki.
ExMORTIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
It seems that I have download the "gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip", but it's different from the steps from what emusan said since the zip file contain all apk file, I tried before to install the software, but it's no working.

Could you recall some steps?

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMORTIUS View Post
I am working on 2 tablets right now Pocked eDGe and coby kyros 2.3 mod.

mr_ed
Not sure what ones emusan posted. But i have been working with gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip from Cyanogen's wiki.
tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Sarasuru
Sarasuru began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I had so much trouble moving the Market app from my phone to my PE (it was deleted from my phone). I restored the app on my phone and used the same website to download the .apk on my PE. i changed the ro.buildprop.fingerprint line, rebooted the PE, but when I try and open the Market the screen quickly goes white and flashes back to the desktop like nothing ever happened.

I've also been having trouble with the newly installed app on my EVO Shift. It will run fine for a while then it will have to force close on opening and will disappear and i have to reinstall it through Titanium backup or the original .apk I found to replace the factory app.

Is it not taking on my PE because it is not the factory app transferred from my phone? Has anyone tried doing this through Dropbox?

Thanks!
Sarasuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #34
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasuru View Post
I had so much trouble moving the Market app from my phone to my PE (it was deleted from my phone). I restored the app on my phone and used the same website to download the .apk on my PE. i changed the ro.buildprop.fingerprint line, rebooted the PE, but when I try and open the Market the screen quickly goes white and flashes back to the desktop like nothing ever happened.

I've also been having trouble with the newly installed app on my EVO Shift. It will run fine for a while then it will have to force close on opening and will disappear and i have to reinstall it through Titanium backup or the original .apk I found to replace the factory app.

Is it not taking on my PE because it is not the factory app transferred from my phone? Has anyone tried doing this through Dropbox?

Thanks!
Are you just transferring the market app? You will need to get all the ones described in this post: link

and how you transfer them shouldn't matter in this case. If you are still having problems just ask...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
sabman
sabman began at the beginning.

A little confused here. The instructions clearly says that the Market app does not work. Why are people still looking to install the app?
sabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #36
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabman View Post
A little confused here. The instructions clearly says that the Market app does not work. Why are people still looking to install the app?
Some(like me) are still trying to find a way to make it work for everyone, I didn't mean market will never work, I just meant that those instructions will, unfortunately, not make market work. Others are installing the apps in order to get access to the official gmail, youtube, and other apps that are still working in the guide...

Oh, and I think a few people are using these instructions with backups from their own android devices in order to make market work on their phone, the only problem with these is that they are tied to the account they are created with, but we are working on that(albeit slowly on my end).
Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #37
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabman View Post
lol! Some people just can't let well enough alone! Just kidding.

It's like those mountain climbers who do it "because it's there." Here we have an Android device with no access to the official market, why not try to figure out a way to get the official market??

I'm still living with an unrooted Pocket eDGe with no Google market access. If an app doesn't work, I don't use it!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #38
sabman
sabman began at the beginning.

haha! Of course and I depend on these people to try and find a working version. So, a big thanks!
sabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Sorry! I redirected someone here, not realizing that this procedure didn't work. Do you have an Android phone? If so, you can definitely get the Market up and running. But that seems to be the only way we've been able to get it to work so far.

I think we need to make a list of things that need to be resolved. Right now, I'm experimenting with a workaround for copying apps to the sdcard. I feel in my bones that I can get it to work (currently, I've copied apps over, but I've ran into an annoying kink that I can't resolve!)
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
cosmopolman
cosmopolman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Just set up my edge (it was in the post for the last 4 weeks since I bought it from that last batch on Woot).
I upgraded to 2.2, and am able to transfer afks from my Android phone, but....
I can't get the Google Account set up to use Google's Gmail, Finance, Listen, and other apps I like. I even copied those afks over, but they all want a Google Account configured on the Edge as soon as they launch, which isn't in the edge settings anywhere. Moreover, I registered just a few days ago, after the Entourage site closed, so not even sure if this was possible previously.

So, I don't need the Market itself, just a Google Account. Is there any way apart from the full 8-step rooting/backing up/etc. method to get just the Google Account put on?

Welcome me to the happy (but sad ) edge user community.
cosmopolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #41
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
As far as I know, it is impossible to (fully) setup a Google account without going through the steps to fix the market. At the moment, this requires having another Android phone.

You can get some limited functionality by doing the "YouTube" workaround. Basically, you download the YouTube apk, install it, and the configure your Google account. However, while this will give you access to several of the gapps, they don't automatically sync. You won't get any notifications, and you'll have to manually refresh your inbox every time that you enter the program.

For more information, go ahead and read this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1057206
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
emusan
lol

the method in this thread will get you a google account without another phone, it just wont work for market and talk, but it does work for the gmail app, and I believe others have tested calender and contacts sync with it, so it should work for most apps, and you don't need another phone...

I don't know of any other way at the moment to get a google account working(the reason for rooting is to make the apk's system apps which android requires them to be in order for you to get a google account, I don't think there is a way around this, or ever will be).

EDIT: There may be a way to do it without rooting by using an update.zip, but that's probably not going to come for awhile.

Last edited by emusan; 06-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #43
cosmopolman

Y'all awesome. I did it. Tried YouTube way, without rooting, but that didn't work, so then I just went ahead and rooted and got some extra apks from cryogen and it works. Got my Gmail, Contacts, Listen, Calendar, Listen, Finance. Even Maps has my Favorite places. "Woot" is right!

Market and Talk don't work but I understand that's common. That's OK, I got Skype working :-) I can tell you a secret about that, if you want to know.

Now, the eDGe is the shizzle!

P.S. Especially since I'm tethering it via WiFi to my Samsung Android, and can now actually use it as a full-fledged 3G device. OMG, how awesome.

Last edited by cosmopolman; 06-08-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Because I discovered something even cooler
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #44
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolman View Post
Market and Talk don't work but I understand that's common. That's OK, I got Skype working :-) I can tell you a secret about that, if you want to know.
I do.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #45
cosmopolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
I do.
I've got an apk of the old Skype Beta, before they pulled it from Android platform entirely in 2009. They eventually rebuilt it from the ground up and relaunched it a year or so ago, but this new one doesn't work (doesn't login on many devices, including my edge). But the old one does.... The UI is a bit crap, but it gets the job done.
I'm not good at hosting these files so if someone wants to put up the APK, I'll email it to them. Just PM me I guess, and give me the email address to send the file.

Last edited by cosmopolman; 06-09-2011 at 08:35 AM.