Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Software release 2.7 on the Horizon

No mentioning of power saving...

From their homepage:
========================

Software release 2.7 on the Horizon.

With the latest software release 2.7 you can expect a number of additional features on the iLiad that will improve your digital reading experience.

Herewith a short sneak peek at some of the features that you can expect in this upcoming software release:

* Key Lock: The key lock will allow you to lock the buttons on the iLiad (For example: when making notes with the stylus)
* Zoom and Pan Function in PDF: With this function it will be possible to zoom and pan in PDF documents
* Landscape Support in PDF: In addition the PDF viewer will now also support landscape view
* Rename Function: This function will allow you to directly rename files in the content lister (For example: renaming your saved notes files)

The target release date for software release 2.7 is end of September.

Last edited by tofuman; 09-11-2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: poor grammar
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:51 AM   #2
nathan
nathan began at the beginning.

Zoom and Pan Function in PDF: With this function it will be possible to zoom and pan in PDF documents

expecting
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman
* Zoom and Pan Function in PDF: With this function it will be possible to zoom and pan in PDF documents
* Landscape Support in PDF: In addition the PDF viewer will now also support landscape view
*slobber*
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:46 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman
* Zoom and Pan Function in PDF: With this function it will be possible to zoom and pan in PDF documents.
Yamp! I can't wait for it.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I am interested in the speed of zoom/pan function in PDF.
Is there no new power management in V2.7?

Last edited by segatang; 09-12-2006 at 04:53 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by segatang
Is there no new power management in V2.7?
They always work on the power management. Th announcement just pointed out a few special highlights.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Zoom and Pan Function in PDF: With this function it will be possible to zoom and pan in PDF documents
My opinion is that you will be very disappointed in this function.

PDF is a page layout format. Zoom will only make the page larger - the whole page, not just the text. So you will have to scroll right/left to see everything. And with the slowness of the eInk screens, this will be painful.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon

PDF is a page layout format. Zoom will only make the page larger - the whole page, not just the text. So you will have to scroll right/left to see everything. And with the slowness of the eInk screens, this will be painful.
I hope that I can zoom into a self-defined box (say, click lower-left, upper-right and that box gets enlarged to the whole screen.)

That makes manual pre-cropping unnecessary, plus allows to zoom into single columns of a multi-column layout.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I hope that I can zoom into a self-defined box (say, click lower-left, upper-right and that box gets enlarged to the whole screen.)

That makes manual pre-cropping unnecessary, plus allows to zoom into single columns of a multi-column layout.
I doubt it. Look at what xpdf does for a good idea of what the iLiad will do.

What they are offering is "Zoom and Pan". Meaning that you zoom in and then can scroll to center what you want to read. Based on the PDFs that I've seen, the odds that what you want to read will be outside the iLiad screen are high.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali

Yes, dragging a zoom window is a definate must. And having a standard zoom, for all pages will get rid of cropping needs. I hope they heard our wishes beore they started implementing.

Panning should work by dragging the pen on the screen aswell.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Panning should work by dragging the pen on the screen aswell.
You'd have to do that blind... Seems not so useful to me?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon

For most eprints, pdfcrop worked nice, so a custom zoom should too.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #13
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I think I'd be perfectly okay with landscape then zoom to width. That would make A4 usable.
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #14
hoberion
hoberion began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
I agree, browsing a4 in 2 parts would be.. hmm annoying but it would work
hoberion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
You'd have to do that blind... Seems not so useful to me?
Which doesnt really matter, if you can drag a point from anywhere on the page to somewhere else opn the page. This would only allow for panning up to one screen further, but that would be all i need, if i have to move the screen a bit left or right. Or even scroll down or left to the next column.

But if you dont find that useful, what would you see as useful for panning across a page?