Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #151
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Easy: subscribe to satellite Internet service; buy a receiver, satellite dish and generator; and bring along your wireless router.

Of course, that means that you won't have the space to bring along as many bananas. But that's the price of progress!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #152
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Alright, how do I access my movies when I'm camping in a state park along the Oregon coast and WiFi isn't available?

why would you?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #153
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Alright, how do I access my movies when I'm camping in a state park along the Oregon coast and WiFi isn't available?
My friend, I am sure that you have noticed by now that some of our audience are not up to a serious conversation. They are answering our points with silliness.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #154
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A day that you experience a little silliness is a day worth living.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #155
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I'm late to the party, but I just want to say this is great news for Android. Hopefully this will give Android the momentum in tablets that it's lacked so far, this is a very nice hardware offering at an attractive price, and Jelly Bean looks polished and mighty fast.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #156
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
To use the SD card. I load the different things I will need on different cards. I pull the card I need and pop it in. I don't need internet, WiFi, or my PC with me. I don't need to worry about how much free memory is on the tablet and what I'll need to delete. If I max out all of my cards, I buy another one.

I'm not using the SD card to transfer data onto the tablet's memory. The data never leaves the card.
But in that case why do you not load everything to the device from the beginning? I thought we were talking about typical cloud files that changes content maybe because other people edit them and you need to transfer them.

Last edited by tompe; 07-03-2012 at 05:52 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #157
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But in that case why do you not load everything to the device from the beginning? I thought we were talking about typical cload files that changes content maybe because other people edit them and you need to transfer them.
The card may not be large enough. It makes sense to have (for example) video, music, and books on different cards.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #158
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Load them on the device before thre trip? Use 3G? Load them from a portable storage device with WiFi? Load them from a laptop?

I am not convinced at all that your example is a usage scenarion that is a counter example and is reasonable.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #159
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The card may not be large enough. It makes sense to have (for example) video, music, and books on different cards.
The I would use something like:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/netwo...in-your-pocket

but I have not yet had a real use case were I needed instant access to all my books and films.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #160
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Load them on the device before thre trip? Use 3G? Load them from a portable storage device with WiFi? Load them from a laptop?

I am not convinced at all that your example is a usage scenarion that is a counter example and is reasonable.
  • How do you load 32GB of content onto a 6GB device?
  • I don't have a 3G account
  • WiFi is unavailable
  • I don't own a laptop; and if I did, then why would I need a tablet?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #161
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For those who believe SD cards are not necessary I just want to say this. I think we can all agree that a device with integrated expansion slot that looks exactly the same and costs exactly the same is a better device. Even if you never need the expansion capabilities it makes for a superior tablet.

Now consider that many don't have access to WiFi or unlimited cellular connectivity everywhere (either because the infrastructure isn't there or because it is too expensive). That makes expansion capabilities even more important. And SD cards make moving data between devices like two tablets or a tablet and a phone that much easier. So when we support companies that leave out these add-on (that used to be standard in the past) we really support them ripping us off. The hardware costs they charge you are $20-50 for an external one with a dongle. But if they integrated an expansion slot as standard into every single device the production costs would increase by less than a dollar per piece.

In other words, not having one doesn't save any buyer any money, but those that have to buy an add-on later have to shell out big bucks. Same with prices for integrated memory. Those used to drop by 50% every year. We went from 2GB to 8 GB to 16GB with no increase in the price of devices. We should get 128GB by now! But now they go back to having devices with 8GB??

I find it rather hard to understand that the same folks that (rightfully) complain about corporate greed when it comes to high e-book prices don't stand up to this blatant example of corporate greed on the hardware side? Giving us less for the same money is ok just because you think you probably won't need it? And they are greedy not just for wanting to pinch pennies and thereby depriving us of important functionality, the other agenda is to force us into their cloud and spend more money with them. We are enabling them, we should just say no.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #162
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
why would you?
Because green bananas don't taste good
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #163
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
  • How do you load 32GB of content onto a 6GB device?
  • I don't have a 3G account
  • WiFi is unavailable
  • I don't own a laptop; and if I did, then why would I need a tablet?
I thought we talked about possible way to solve the problem and that included buying things to solve the problem. I also of course meant storage devices with built in WiFi.

I previously thought that an SD slot was very important to have. But I have noticed that on my phones were I can exchange SD card I never do it, for my ebook readers I usually do not bother to plug-in an SD card and on my tablets I have not exchanged SD card either or missed the lack of them. But then I do not watch video on my devices. I mostly read books and listen to pod casts.

I think that most people do not use the SD card slot if available at all other then putting in the initial SD card. And for many people arguing about the need of an SD slot I believe it is a theorethical need (just like mine was) that does not exist in reality. Of course for some people it is a real need.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #164
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I previously thought that an SD slot was very important to have. But I have noticed that on my phones were I can exchange SD card I never do it, for my ebook readers I usually do not bother to plug-in an SD card and on my tablets I have not exchanged SD card either or missed the lack of them. But then I do not watch video on my devices. I mostly read books and listen to pod casts.
I think it's really only for video that it becomes important, due to the very large file sizes involved. I certainly don't miss having an SD card slot on either my iPhone or Kindle.

As you very rightly say, there are certainly workarounds available, but I think that a card slot is an extremely useful thing to have on a tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #165
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's really only for video that it becomes important, due to the very large file sizes involved. I certainly don't miss having an SD card slot on either my iPhone or Kindle.

As you very rightly say, there are certainly workarounds available, but I think that a card slot is an extremely useful thing to have on a tablet.
Especially one that is marketed as a media device...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet