Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PVI thinks big, also thanks to recent Kindle mania

It's been a banner year for e-book lovers, with several dedicated reading devices entering the market (Sony Reader PRS-505, Cybook Gen3, and last but not least our long-prophesied Amazon Kindle). Less commonly known perhaps is the fact that Prime View International, one relatively small company from Taiwan, has been behind producing all the E Ink display panels for them. So we're not surprised that with all the frenzy about the Amazon Kindle, PVI also receives its earned share of news. According to Digitimes, quoting one of its sources:

Quote:
The new device from Amazon is the result of a three-year project between PVI and Amazon. With the new product finally ready for the market, PVI expects the market for electrophoretic displays (EPDs) and e-paper devices to further grow, added the sources.
The article also reaffirms what we've heard and stated several times before, namely that the next step on E Ink's roadmap is to further increase the level of grey scales and to introduce - hey, the guys do know how to make our wildest dreams come true! - color.

Also, in a related article Digitimes reported about recent rumors according to which PVI in the progress of acquiring another LCD maker's product lines to expand capacities.

[Thanks to Jae for the news!]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
This is still a small market. I wonder what happens, once we see the competition producing aswell. Cant wiat till PlasticLogic starts producing in Dresden.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Color is nice, but for my money I would rather have a whiter white and a blacker black.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Color is nice, but for my money I would rather have a whiter white and a blacker black.
Yes, I agree with that. If it is 6", it is too small for science PDF books, so I just want to read novels on mine. However, the price will have to come down.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Hehe, we are talking about color e-ink including a whiter white and a blacker black
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
Hehe, we are talking about color e-ink including a whiter white and a blacker black
Yes, and 14 Inches and 300dpi plus Video Support.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Eink computer monitors.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Yes, and 14 Inches and 300dpi plus Video Support.
Well, drop the 300dpi and you have working prototypes in the labs. So they just got to work on the resolution
Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would prefer b/w 9.7" over colour 6" display. So, I can read PDFs and enjoy in general bigger screen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I would prefer b/w 9.7" over colour 6" display. So, I can read PDFs and enjoy in general bigger screen.
I'd go for 15-inch diagonal. That's what you really need to show letter-wide or A4-tall PDFs full-size. If someone would get around to making a convertible notebook that size, I'd buy one.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
I'd go for 15-inch diagonal. That's what you really need to show letter-wide or A4-tall PDFs full-size. If someone would get around to making a convertible notebook that size, I'd buy one.
With 9.7" you will be able to read it full-size in landscape format
Old 11-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I only got a B in algebra in high school (destroyed my grade point average), but I don't think so. Take a basic 3-4-5 right triangle and double the dimensions to get 6-8-10. That means that a 3:4 non-widescreen display with a 10-inch diagonal is only six by eight inches high/wide. Even in half-page landscape mode, that isn't quite wide enough for actual-size letter width at 8.5, nor even A4's 8.3 inches.

You can manage it if you multiply the 3-4-5 triangle by 2.2, giving a 6.6 by 8.8 screen with 11.5-inch diagonal. (Which means that 12.4-inch diagonal convertible notebooks, the largest size that seems to exist, can manage half-page mode.) But half-page mode can be annoying with comics, full-screen illustrations, or two-column text layout.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
That means that a 3:4 non-widescreen display with a 10-inch diagonal is only six by eight inches high/wide. Even in half-page landscape mode, that isn't quite wide enough for actual-size letter width at 8.5, nor even A4's 8.3 inches.
But if you cut the margins off, which are at least 0.5" per side in most cases, then Letter is 7.5" and A4 is 7.3", so it fits with space to spare. All you need is for the reader to automatically snip the margins.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Sorry, when I said that, I meant half page
9.7" is very close to A5 - that's 1/2 of A4? So, in landscape you will get 1/2 of each page in full size.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's a nuisance to read some PDFs in landscape, because they have multiple columns. I'd rather be able to read the whole page at once.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote