Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #61
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The rubbery coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Well, I think this whole idea of putting a coating on the plastic was a very bad idea for Astak - nice as it feels.

Let me explain first that mine is supposed to be from the 'fixed' shipment, despite having the older cream lined case.

Mine is missing some coating on the rear left hand edge. The edge is quite sharp, so at first I thought it might be just worn, then I realised that it is NOT where my hand holds the book normally while reading. Then looking closer I see that it has come away in a rough manner - not consistent with wear. It looks like the coating has not stuck properly along the sharp edge.

However, it is not worth sending it on a long trip across the pacific to get a new one. Not yet anyway. The problem is on the back and not too visible - yet.

Why oh why didn't they just stay with the nice plastic underneath for the white ones. The rubbery coating get's dirtier than the smooth plastic anyway. Where mine is worn, a nice bright clean white plastic is showing through. I think it was 'theducks' that has scraped one of his clean. I might eventually do the same.
Dear All:

The rubbery coating on Batch #1 was NOT planned to give it a better feel. It was to RUSH the Pocket PRO from the factory to Astak so we could fill the advance orders. At that time we had about 150 pre-orders on the Pocket PRO and numerous people were really getting cranky in waiting. We pushed the factory to find someone else and get the paint on it instead of the regular but slower way. Yes, it felt good... but was subject to interaction with the fumes from the case liner. To play it safe, the factory changed the liner and went back to the standard way of coloring.

It does not feel quite as rubbery and is a little harder... but now it wears great and still is not at all glossy.

I just want everyone to know the history behind that "rubbery feel" coating. We had numerous delays in getting out those first Pocket PROs and people were tired of waiting. Some wanted their money refunded and others were calling the Pocket PRO "VAPORWARE". People said "do what you must to fill the orders now or else". We did.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #62
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Diokdin:

I am very happy I could help a bit in getting you all set up. Yes, the grey liner on the case is the newest one and does not interact with the paint. Yes, the paint is different also and does feel much more solid and nice.

Be very patient on charging. Charge for about two hours MORE after it gets to "green" on the light. Green just means it is the "start of full" and not as "full" as it can get!
Oh, I charged it the initial 12 hrs (I'm really patient ) before I ever played with it. I know it's hard but I want to follow the rules and calibrate the battery really good.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #63
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Ok, here's another question... is there a way to tell which batch a particular unit came from? I'm thinking either from the UPC code on the back of the box, or from the little triangular paper thing that is in the baggie with the user manual? (It's about the size of a guitar pic, if that helps anyone to know what I'm talking about...) That has a bunch of writing in Chinese, so I don't have a clue what it says , but it does say at the bottom
Quote:
2009 (a Chinese character inserted here) 8 (another character inserted here) 25 (a final character)
I'm guessing that's a date? If so, it might explain the paint peeling... I just don't want to send it back because... well... what would I do without it for a week? I might have to actually do housework, or something! I keep hoping if I ignore it, the problem will go away... so I just keep reading, and try to not notice it... And it's still not terrible, but I don't want it to get terrible... decisions, decisions...
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #64
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ok, I don't know if this will work, but this is what it says...

2009年8月25日
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #65
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
serial number

The user manual could have been printed months before and used with the 'second' batch.

Under the battery is an Astak label with a serial number! I bet if we get a poll going we'll be able to pinpoint which range of serial numbers point to which batch.

A hornets' nest awaits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ok, here's another question... is there a way to tell which batch a particular unit came from? I'm thinking either from the UPC code on the back of the box, or from the little triangular paper thing that is in the baggie with the user manual? (It's about the size of a guitar pic, if that helps anyone to know what I'm talking about...) That has a bunch of writing in Chinese, so I don't have a clue what it says , but it does say at the bottom

I'm guessing that's a date? If so, it might explain the paint peeling... I just don't want to send it back because... well... what would I do without it for a week? I might have to actually do housework, or something! I keep hoping if I ignore it, the problem will go away... so I just keep reading, and try to not notice it... And it's still not terrible, but I don't want it to get terrible... decisions, decisions...
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #66
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
date

Quote:
Ok, I don't know if this will work, but this is what it says...

2009年8月25日
August 25th, 2009
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #67
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
The user manual could have been printed months before and used with the 'second' batch.

Under the battery is an Astak label with a serial number! I bet if we get a poll going we'll be able to pinpoint which range of serial numbers point to which batch.

A hornets' nest awaits.
I think I'll just call tomorrow and see about getting a replacement... But I'd rather be without my computer for a week than my Pocket Pro!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #68
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
August 25th, 2009
That's what I was thinking.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #69
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Well, I gave Tech Support something to laugh at today... I called and left a message regarding the paint peeling on my Pocket Pro, but suddenly realized I couldn't remember my phone number! We've just recently moved, and like a dunce I just could not remember my phone number. Oh well... I'll send an email, and hopefully that will go better.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #70
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Quote:
Well, I gave Tech Support something to laugh at today... I called and left a message regarding the paint peeling on my Pocket Pro, but suddenly realized I couldn't remember my phone number! We've just recently moved, and like a dunce I just could not remember my phone number. Oh well... I'll send an email, and hopefully that will go better.
haha I did that the other day with my son's doctor. The paint on your purple one is peeling?
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #71
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Perfect way to start!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Oh, I charged it the initial 12 hrs (I'm really patient ) before I ever played with it. I know it's hard but I want to follow the rules and calibrate the battery really good.
Dear Diokdin:

Following the recommendations will help you. You would be amazed how few pay any attention.

Do not forget also:

1. Read the FAQ sheet at www.theEZreader.com

2. Then, do only the latest firmware upgrade.

3. Recharge when the Battery Charge Life indicator shows just slightly less than half. Keep it from getting too low.

Thank you so much. I am happy when you are happy!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #72
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Diokdin:

Following the recommendations will help you. You would be amazed how few pay any attention.

Do not forget also:

1. Read the FAQ sheet at www.theEZreader.com

2. Then, do only the latest firmware upgrade.

3. Recharge when the Battery Charge Life indicator shows just slightly less than half. Keep it from getting too low.

Thank you so much. I am happy when you are happy!
Already done that (#1-3). Even to the one I return for replacement. Before I bought the device I already read the FAQ sheet and occassionally visit there if I have question. And if I coundn't find the answer, I ask the helpful people here in this forum. That's another reason why I'm not standing by here all the time.

Last edited by diokdin; 04-21-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #73
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
I think I'll just call tomorrow and see about getting a replacement... But I'd rather be without my computer for a week than my Pocket Pro!
Totally know what you're feeling. I rather have my Pocket Pro which is already loaded with lots of books for me to read, than pass the time with my computer.

Goodluck on your PPro. I hope you'll get it back soon.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #74
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
haha I did that the other day with my son's doctor. The paint on your purple one is peeling?
Yeah... I've waited about a month since I first noticed it until I decided to send it back. I was just going to keep it, but I want to show the Pocket Pro to people and let them know what a great little reader it is. And I'm afraid they'll see the peeling paint and be turned off by that. So I decided to go ahead and send it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Totally know what you're feeling. I rather have my Pocket Pro which is already loaded with lots of books for me to read, than pass the time with my computer.

Goodluck on your PPro. I hope you'll get it back soon.
Thanks, me too! Since I don't have it right now I've been working on organizing my library. And I've discovered the wonderful world of fan fiction for some of my favorite Sci-fi shows, so I've been converting them into ebook form so I'll be ready for endless hours of reading when I get the new one back.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #75
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Thanks, me too! Since I don't have it right now I've been working on organizing my library. And I've discovered the wonderful world of fan fiction for some of my favorite Sci-fi shows, so I've been converting them into ebook form so I'll be ready for endless hours of reading when I get the new one back.
That's what I did too. I organize my library (authors, series and converted some of them to ePubs) while I waited for my PPro. Now, my library is much more organized.