Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Yes, but you'll also get
lower resolution
smaller SD card support
fewer grayscale levels
slower processor
slower controller
smaller battery
less cool colour options
less pocketability
Plus no TTS
Plus no Thumbwheel for right side page advance
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Plus no TTS
Plus no Thumbwheel for right side page advance
TTS is no big loss, would never use it. And I'd need a thumbwheel on the left side of the device... That's one disadvantage of the JE100, it only has page progress buttons on the right side...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Having page progress buttons on the right would be nice. I use right sided buttons on my N800, and now on my PRS-505, since i hold with my right hand. That is the one thing I'd like.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Having page progress buttons on the right would be nice.
From Two samples of Pocket PRO arrived (the Pocked Pro is a Hanlin V5, like the Mini):
Quote:
Scroll Wheel: the Pocket PRO comes with THREE page advance/ regress buttons. There are two buttons on the left, two buttons onthe bottom (#9 and #0) serve for this purpose, and you have a scroll wheel about 2/3 of the way up the right side. The wheel has a stud on it so you do not have to actually rub your finger over the wheel... just move the stud up or down. It works well and I am pleased. Between the three buttons a left hander, right hander, or ANYBODY will find the page turn exactly where they want it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
TTS is no big loss, would never use it. And I'd need a thumbwheel on the left side of the device... That's one disadvantage of the JE100, it only has page progress buttons on the right side...
The only time I would ever use it would be if I was laid up in the hospital, unable to move my arms. I'd have someone turn on TTS, turn the volume down, and I'd have auto-turning pages.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only time I would ever use it would be if I was laid up in the hospital, unable to move my arms. I'd have someone turn on TTS, turn the volume down, and I'd have auto-turning pages.
I'd rather listen to my audible books Some I've last heard in 2005 and would love the time to listen again!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
I'd rather listen to my audible books Some I've last heard in 2005 and would love the time to listen again!
Audible books would be good but only if you had a good voice artist. Stephen Fry or Jim Dale spring to mind.

Otherwise, I'd much rather read. This way, I can determine the voices of my characters. I can determine my own interpretation of their words and inflection.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
well when talking about resolution in computing terms the resolution is the amount of data that can be displayed on the screen, which is the same for both, but worse actually for the 5 inch because of perception.

In short Resolution is the Pixels by Pixels count

so 800x600 obvious,

higher DPI is pixel density. which is what you want.

so if you say DPI you don't have to explain yourself and go around confusing people.

(the same thing goes for Memory in a computer, when you say memory you are talking about ram, when you say space, you are talking about HD space. alot of people still do this.)
Actually if you go back to the original definition of the term "resolution" in imaging, it is the ability to distinguish or "resolve" lines as they become finer and finer. By that definition the 5" screen at 200 DPI has better resolution (i.e. resolving ability) than the 6" at 160 DPI, i.e. the 5" can resolve finer lines than the 6". Therefore the 5" should show smaller characters better than the 6".

People in the computer industry have "perverted" this definition and have come up with the term "display resolution" which is the same for both the 5" and the 6" at 800x600 but if you remember the old TV test screens with black lines on it, those were used to test the TV's resolution (i.e. the ability to resolve fine lines).

Last edited by slayda; 07-23-2009 at 12:37 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Audible books would be good but only if you had a good voice artist. Stephen Fry or Jim Dale spring to mind.

Otherwise, I'd much rather read. This way, I can determine the voices of my characters. I can determine my own interpretation of their words and inflection.
Oh, I've some excellent readers, I love the one that reads The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (Rob Inglis). I also love John Lee (several books).

But I agree, some are just boring to listen to And reading while driving isn't generally well accepted (or if you have both hands in a cast, as was your first statement )
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Oh, I've some excellent readers, I love the one that reads The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (Rob Inglis). I also love John Lee (several books).
Barbara Rosenblatt, who reads the "Amelia Peabody" and "Mrs. Pollifax" series, is great as well. Her range of "voices" and accents is astonishing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #26
idum
idum began at the beginning.

Device: HTC
Hello, i'm very interested in this device. When will it be on the market? And there is possibility for european (italian) buyers or it will be the american exclusive?

Also, i'm interested in some in-build light for the night, it will be possibility for covers as the ones for sony 505?
thanks in advance.
idum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by idum View Post
Hello, i'm very interested in this device. When will it be on the market?
Please look at the thread title. There's a clue there which may answer your question .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
It does have thumb-wheel on the left side. Just turn the reader upside down and set the display to turn 180°.
You can have thumb-wheel on any side you wish. The device has even built-in accelerometer that will turn the display. You can switch the accelerometer off for reading in the bed.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Audio Books

Quote:
I like audio books alot. It is wonderful to listen to a book while walking (which I try to do for at least 45-mins/day). I listen when lights are too low to read comfortably and I don't want to disturb my husband. At the beach is great since I get headaches from reading in sunlight/shade. I also can't read in moving vehicles; so in trains, planes and automobiles (not while driving though) it's audio books! Also, I can listen to a book while knitting or crocheting (as long as I don't have to count!) and I can even enjoy ironing if I have a book to listen to!

I also listen when proctoring school labs or exams - I can watch the students and not be bored silly!

I was concerned that I wouldn't use an ebook reader because I am so hooked on audio books. But now it's about 50/50 use for each ...
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #30
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by idum View Post
Hello, i'm very interested in this device. When will it be on the market? And there is possibility for european (italian) buyers or it will be the american exclusive?

Also, i'm interested in some in-build light for the night, it will be possibility for covers as the ones for sony 505?
thanks in advance.
This device was developed in China, but Endless Ideas sells it in Europe under the BeBook brand, so I doubt you'd have a problem getting one.

It won't have a built in light, but you can get a battery operated light that clips on. As for cases, the version that will be released in America is going to come with a case. I believe there are cases for the original BeBook, so I would think they would do a case for the mini too. Hope that helps!
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, epub, liseuse, mini