Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Content Server grabs wrong IP address

I started the Content Server, and on the same machine I can browse to it just fine. But I can't get to it from any other machine on my network. Originally thinking it was a localhost firewall issue, I first looked there but didn't solve the problem.

Now I'm looking at the Content Server Error and Access logs and have discovered the "ENGINE Serving on 169.254.1.110:8080" which is NOT my local IP address!!!

After reviewing the results of an "ipconfig /all", I can see that my local address is 192.168.0.2, but I also have a VirtualBox Host-Only Network of 169.254.1.110 - even though VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) is not currently running.

How do I force the Content Server to choose a different IP address???

Thanks!
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGinAZ View Post
I started the Content Server, and on the same machine I can browse to it just fine. But I can't get to it from any other machine on my network. Originally thinking it was a localhost firewall issue, I first looked there but didn't solve the problem.

Now I'm looking at the Content Server Error and Access logs and have discovered the "ENGINE Serving on 169.254.1.110:8080" which is NOT my local IP address!!!

After reviewing the results of an "ipconfig /all", I can see that my local address is 192.168.0.2, but I also have a VirtualBox Host-Only Network of 169.254.1.110 - even though VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) is not currently running.

How do I force the Content Server to choose a different IP address???

Thanks!
Preferences: Tweaks:
There is a setting for which network card (for those that have more than 1) to listen on
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Perfect!!! Thanks!

Plugging in the appropriate address into "What interfaces should the content server listen on" solves the problem.
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Needs improvement though... it takes the IP address, not a range or NIC. If you use DHCP, that changes.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
Needs improvement though... it takes the IP address, not a range or NIC. If you use DHCP, that changes.
A Server and DHCP?

Access to 'Server' usually has a FIXED IP (or reserved on the DHCP server).

IIRC It is only on the Local machine, where 0.0.0.0 make no never-mind.

I am guessing assignment by NIC ID is really difficult across 3 OS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A Server and DHCP?

Access to 'Server' usually has a FIXED IP (or reserved on the DHCP server).
Ah, you're thinking too far inside the wrong box!

My new Galaxy Tab Pro lacks USB Mass Storage mode. My Mac runs OSX, which lacks native MTP mode. Calibre does also support MTP mode... but not on OSX. To sync easily, therefore, I'm doing a wireless Calibre Sync via the Device Connection, which seems to require the Content Server.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
To sync easily, therefore, I'm doing a wireless Calibre Sync via the Device Connection, which seems to require the Content Server.
Syncing via wireless Device connection requires an app like Calibre Companion or Calibre Sync, neither require the content server. The content server can be used to get books wirelessly to your device via any OPDS compliant app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content server, virtualbox, wrong address, wrong ip