Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Device: irex dr800sg DR1000S
keymap.xml for DR800 with Russian keyboard. (still need polish)
Attached Files
File Type: xml keymap.xml (14.3 KB, 1006 views)
yuri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
yuri_b
Connoisseur
yuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enoughyuri_b will become famous soon enough

Device: irex dr800sg DR1000S
When I start digged in source a long ago I notice code for flushing a pressed button, this code significant slow down the execution of keyboard. Do we need to see how button flashes? or we rather prefer see text faster on screen?

ergtk-keyb.c page 852: highliting a button

ergtk-keyb.c page 975-076 :
// schedule an unhighlight action for the same button
priv->highlight_id = g_timeout_add(200, on_highlight_expired, (gpointer) button );
yuri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri_b View Post
When I start digged in source a long ago I notice code for flushing a pressed button, this code significant slow down the execution of keyboard. Do we need to see how button flashes? or we rather prefer see text faster on screen?
I am not sure if this code is really slowing typing down, since it is scheduled as a background action, you can already start typing the next char.
But I am not sure, I will see if it is easy to add an (experimental-)option to the layout file to disable the flashes.

Good to see that you can compose your own keyboard (I mean that the mechanism works), any extra wishes?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

v2

Hi yuri_b,

See comments in keymap-noflash.xml on how to disable flashes. I had some refresh problems, but that be solved now. Only tried on the emulator ...

Marcel.

NOTE AGAIN: THIS IS ONLY A PROOF OF CONCEPT not yet mature enough for daily use.
Source code will be distributed later.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KeyBoardHack-v2.zip (23.4 KB, 583 views)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Mackx
Guru

I am wondering if this could be released to more people now?
Those that have used it:
Did you find any issues in the last version (that should be solved)?
Should some 'usefull' keyboard layouts be added (which ones did you make)?
Is the 'Change KeyBoard Layout' good enough to select different keyboards?
(I was thinking of adding a new settings dialog, that shows all layouts in a specific folder, in a later release)

Please give me your feedback.

Thanks,
Marcel.
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I used it (on the DR800 only and not all that extensively unfortunately) and had no issues at all. So for me, it can be released.

Last edited by fekhner; 02-21-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typo
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #22
jonathan_s
Enthusiast
jonathan_s began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've been using the keyboard hack for a while but am getting a bit tired of a couple of things:

1. The Ctrl key just seems to generate a 'C'.
2. Has there been any progress on implementing arrow keys? I'm happy to give it a try, just don't want to waste my time if someone has already done it.
3. Is there any chance of access to the source code?

Cheers!

Last edited by jonathan_s; 08-30-2011 at 03:54 AM.
jonathan_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
I've been using the keyboard hack for a while but am getting a bit tired of a couple of things:

1. The Ctrl key just seems to generate a 'C'.
2. Has there been any progress on implementing arrow keys? I'm happy to give it a try, just don't want to waste my time if someone has already done it.
3. Is there any chance of access to the source code?

Cheers!
Hi jonathan_s.

I also noticed the problems you indicate, but did not make any time to update the code. Although I do not include the keyboard hack in dr1000hackx, I checked in the source-code in the dr1000hackx bitbucket archive.

I started with a new job, which is eating a lot of my time and energy, so my dr-involvement is a little bit less then it used to be. If you can spend time on improving/fixing the keyboard hack that would be great.

Marcel.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #24
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
The keyboard that comes with Gregor Richard's DRebian has all the requested features, control, escape and tab all do work. This would be important to really use zile that has been ported by Iņigo. So maybe this one could be implemented directly in the keyboard hack.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Mackx
Guru

I found a copy-paste problem in the code, which did prevent Ctrl from being handled. I only used the attached version on the qemu. So if anyone would be so kind to check it on the device?
(Only liberkeyb.so.0.0.1 has been updated.)

I did not look at the cursor keys, on a DR1000 it is possible to use the keys on the device as cursor keys, but that does not very comfortable.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KeyBoardHack-v2a.zip (23.4 KB, 497 views)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #26
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
So if anyone would be so kind to check it on the device?
It works very well on my DR800, thank you.

Quote:
I did not look at the cursor keys, on a DR1000 it is possible to use the keys on the device as cursor keys, but that does not very comfortable.
A quick scan of the erkeyb source indicates that it doesn't include the required XK_Up, Down, etc. Trivial to fix.

But can you tell me how to build it? Sorry but I'm a newbie when it comes to autoconf/make etc. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering! I have implemented arrow keys using hex codes, based on keymap-noflash. I made the right hand shift key a bit smaller and moved the Euro and Pound symbols to the second layout.

Such a relief to be able to correct typing mistakes on the command line!
Attached Files
File Type: xml keymap-arrows.xml (18.0 KB, 782 views)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #28
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
The keyboard that comes with Gregor Richard's DRebian has all the requested features, control, escape and tab all do work. This would be important to really use zile that has been ported by Iņigo. So maybe this one could be implemented directly in the keyboard hack.
Interesting... I ported zile for easy file editing in the emu or on an usbnet ssh connection.
Never thought anyone would want to use it in the real device.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #29
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_s View Post
Nothing like a bit of reverse engineering! I have implemented arrow keys using hex codes, based on keymap-noflash. I made the right hand shift key a bit smaller and moved the Euro and Pound symbols to the second layout.

Such a relief to be able to correct typing mistakes on the command line!
Great!

I will add more XP-codes in future versions.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #30
jonathan_s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I will add more XP-codes in future versions.
Thanks!

Could you also point me to some instructions for building your code?