Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Problem with database recover

Hi,

this morning, when I was going to switch to a library, calibre has told me that it was corrupted, and asked me if I wanted to recover it. After recovering it, I got the message that calibre couldn't recover it because another process was accessing to the file.

After checking at the forum, I switched off the antivirus and I tried it again. The same problem. Strangely, when I tried to remove metadata.db, I couldn't because "calibre had blocked the file". I switched on the antivirus again.

I closed calibre, copied the library directory, started calibre and tried again (although this time I copied an intermediate metadata.db prior to the error message). I tried to switch to the copy and same problem. I copied the intermediate metadata to the copy and this time the switch was OK (although not all the books were included).

Inside this library I tried the recover command and it worked this time.

I don't know which was the problem at the switch that doesn't exist being into the library, but well, perhaps this can help to somebody.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I couldn't because "calibre had blocked the file".
That would seem to indicate you had two instances of calibre running.

And it is possible - by chance I recently discovered I could run calibre portable v 1.48, alongside calibre v2.20ish. Kovid is aware of that.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I only had one running, or it hadn't worked changing the method (and my calibre portable is 2.36 too). When I got that message calibre was still running but with other library.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also remember that long ago I was occasionally seeing orphaned *worker process" (calibre-parallel.exe) tasks running. Can't remember why, assuming I ever found out why. Can't remember the symptoms either - but nor I don't recall them being catastrophic.

BR
Old 08-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

That can be a reason, I suppose, but I'm not aware of them.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

In my long ago case, something/someone must have been killing the main process without killing the children. But I'm fairly certain it didn't do any harm - certainly didn't corrupt databases, I'd remember that.

I suspect I was doing something a bit odd, I don't recall posting anything here about it. Was in my early calibre days.

All I can suggest is to run frequent library checks and take regular backups - but I suspect you don't need me to tell you that

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-30-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Nooo, it was unsuspected, and the problem is I have synced prior to the check. In the end, well, only a bit stress until I was able to repair it in that non orthodox way.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Synced prior to the check -- well, it might be worth considering using rotating snapshots rather than a single mirror.

Then you could restore to any of the e.g. last five times you ran the backup.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Synced prior to the check -- well, it might be worth considering using rotating snapshots rather than a single mirror.

Then you could restore to any of the e.g. last five times you ran the backup.
Windows here... is there any free program for it? Anyway... I made the sync just after closing calibre
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I have traditionally used a very scripted solution with rsync, but both bash and rsync are available for Windows courtesy of cygwin.
No chance in hell of btrfs snapshots though.

http://webgnuru.com/linux/rsync_incremental.php

Just set your sync program to backup to a folder that contains the current date. If it has a cli mode, that should be easy. Without something like rsync's --link-dest (hardlink from "b" to identical files in "c", instead of copying from "a" to "b"), that will require all the time of a full backup, and the space of one too.
FreeFileSync includes "macros" a/k/a variables: http://www.freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=macros
And builtin "versioning", not sure if that creates full, hardlinked versioned backups or just versions containing old copies of changed files -- the former is what I use, no additional space costs but, visually, far more comprehensible.
http://www.freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=versioning

I hate to recommend FreeFileSync since it comes bundled with spamware.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-30-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I use SyncToy, not manual backup, so not a lot of improvement with FreeFyleSync (I didn't check it because of the malware). I use cygwin a lot so that wouldn't be a problem, but I think that I'm going to use a more "traditional" approach, as no snapshots available. A weekly sync at a different path, and checking all the modified libraries prior to the sync. Well, it can be done...
Old 08-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Sure can.

Synctoy appears to have command-line switches: http://www.windowstipspage.com/synct...line-switches/

Use a datestring: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-batch-script
Apparently it can be done in a sane way using powershell.
Or cygwin's `date +FORMAT`

At that point, though, you might as well be using rsync
Going the other, fully GUI way, I don't know that anything other than FreeFileSync offers the needed flexibility.
PortableApps.com offers an older malware-free version of FreeFileSync.

People have written GUIs for rsync on linux, maybe it's about time someone did the same for Windows. Lotta flexibility there.