Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The only thing I don't like about my Freedom Sprint earbuds is that they are tuned so that bass sounds predominate. No doubt that makes them very enticing to the kids, whose excellent ears love heavy bass while listening to popular music, but for my old ears with their high-frequency losses listening to audiobooks, they sometimes can be hard to understand. Using the standard equalizer settings on the iPod to compensate for that heavy bass only goes so far, and when listening to Blackstone book apps on my iPad, even that limited ability to tailor the sounds to my ears is unavailable.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nokia Lumia 920, Audible app, with Philips earphones. But the earphones switch a lot. I'm looking for a good pair of bluetooth earphones... I hate in-ear ones, and most seem to be like that...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are some ultra lightweight Bluetooth headphones out there if that's your cup of tea.

PC magazine has a comparison article on various ones.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #34
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was more thinking like my current Jabra's (though, those are wired)

They are not in-ear, but have earbuds. Those in-ear phones give me a headache and make my ears ache too...
Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If I buy the Whispersync for voice audiobook after purchasing the ebook from Amazon it only lists the kindle or kindle apps to download it to.
Can I still download it later from Audible and listen on my ipod nano?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #36
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
If I buy the Whispersync for voice audiobook after purchasing the ebook from Amazon it only lists the kindle or kindle apps to download it to.
Can I still download it later from Audible and listen on my ipod nano?
Yes. Whispersync for voice audiobooks are $ discounted, but otherwise identical to any other audiobook you purchase from Audible.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Thanks!
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
<snip>For listening I first tried the nano's own ear buds, and have nothing good to say about them. Their design ensures that unless I duct-tape them to my ears, they'll fall out the first time I turn my head. I tried regular headphones, but few things look dorkier than a 64-year-old in shorts walking around the neighborhood with a set of humongous headphones with a 10-foot cord trailing behind. So I bought these Freedom Sprint earbuds from Jaybird. Not only does the Bluetooth work flawlessly, but the unique design of the ear-inserts (it comes with three different sizes) keeps the buds in my ear no matter whether I'm walking, working in the yard, solving a jigsaw puzzle, or just puttering around the house.<snip>
My buds died after two months. I had them charging in one of my PC's USB slots that I always used for the purpose and when I went to disconnect them, they were quite hot. Now all I get from them is a red light when they're plugged in that normally indicates they're charging. I called Jaybird Customer Support, and the fellow there took down all my information and assured me that he'd be turning it over to the proper folks and I'd be hearing from them within the week. Sounds good to me.

In the meantime, I bought these Jarv NMotion Sport Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Stereo Earbuds

Click image for larger version

Name:	71Ng0QQJ8IL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	125738

They're not even in the same ball park as the Jaybird earbuds. The maximum volume is much lower, probably due to the fact that the way they fit in the ear is not nearly as tight or secure as the Jaybirds. The only way I can have any assurance that they won't fall out of my ears is to use the behind-the-ear holders, which, while they do an okay job of holding them in place, ensure that they don't fit snugly.

I'm hoping my experience with the first set of Jaybird Freedom Sprint earbuds was a fluke, and that the replacements, when they arrive, will prove indestructible. I'll let you all know if I have any further problems with them. I certainly hope not, because while they worked, they were undoubtedly the best set of ear-buds I ever owned.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I use my 80-gig iPod Classic for OTR, but I'm currently lusting after an iPod Nano, along with some kind of Bluetooth set.

As mentioned, my main joy is listening to classic OTR (Old Time Radio). I have about 8,000 shows and have only listened to a few thousand.

The Classic is a nice system, but I want something smaller, so I'll probably be selling. Unfortunately, it's always been in a protective case, which means there are no scratches on it, making it difficult to sell for what I think it's worth.

The Nano beckons......
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I use my 80-gig iPod Classic for OTR, but I'm currently lusting after an iPod Nano, along with some kind of Bluetooth set.

As mentioned, my main joy is listening to classic OTR (Old Time Radio). I have about 8,000 shows and have only listened to a few thousand.

The Classic is a nice system, but I want something smaller, so I'll probably be selling. Unfortunately, it's always been in a protective case, which means there are no scratches on it, making it difficult to sell for what I think it's worth.

The Nano beckons......

I'm a big fan of OTR, but for whatever reason haven't listened in a while. OTR & one NFR (New Fangled Radio) show: Decoder Ring Theater's Black Jack Justice.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM   #41
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use my iPhone exclusively for my audiobooks. I liberate them, then listen via Ambling Pro player, which has a great sleep function. At night I use my sleepphones for listening, and during the day I either listen through the speaker in the iPhone, or via my Boombotix2 portable bluetooth speaker, or if I'm out, my Philips SHS8100 Earphones. I'd say I average 3-5 hours per day listening to audiobooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #42
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I use my iPhone exclusively for my audiobooks. I liberate them, then listen via Ambling Pro player, which has a great sleep function. At night I use my sleepphones for listening, and during the day I either listen through the speaker in the iPhone, or via my Boombotix2 portable bluetooth speaker, or if I'm out, my Philips SHS8100 Earphones. I'd say I average 3-5 hours per day listening to audiobooks.
completely off topic... But those sleepphones are awesome! How's the quality of them? I know my mother usually listens to the radio at night and this would be great for her
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #43
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I use an iPod shuffle. It works great because it is small and durable. My phone only has 8 gigs of ram and I now have it almost full. (So i never put books or music on my phone.) The shuffle does a great job and I can put lots of audio books on it.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
I use an iPod shuffle. It works great because it is small and durable. My phone only has 8 gigs of ram and I now have it almost full. (So i never put books or music on my phone.) The shuffle does a great job and I can put lots of audio books on it.
I'm unfamiliar with the way the shuffle operates. Is it always in "shuffle" mode? I don't know if I said that right, but it's a serious question. It's hard to imaging a device with even less playing options than my iPod Nano.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #45
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the way the shuffle operates. Is it always in "shuffle" mode? I don't know if I said that right, but it's a serious question. It's hard to imaging a device with even less playing options than my iPod Nano.
No, you can listen in series. I have an old shuffle. I use it sometimes with audiobooks when I workout because it clips to your clothes and is small. I only load one book at a time (although a book can be comprised of multiple audio files).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote