Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Sorry to hijack...does the 360 have WiFi? I found one online and the specs show that it has WiFi. I saw you tube videos saying that it did not have WiFi. Did some models have it?

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Sorry to hijack...does the 360 have WiFi? I found one online and the specs show that it has WiFi. I saw you tube videos saying that it did not have WiFi. Did some models have it?
Thanks,
Penny
If you mean 350, the answer is no: CNet review of Sony 350

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
mystika1--If you mean the Sony 350, then the answer is no, it doesn't have wi-fi. (Neither does the 650).
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
50 cm? That's not too far... what, about the length of an American Cockroach?

http://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/american-cockroach/

<apparently us Americans shouldn't be allowed to use the metric system>

You're thinking of mm. Cm are 2.5cm per inch so 50 is much bigger than a cockroach. If I saw a 50cm cockroach running around I think I'd wet myself in fear and disgust. LOL
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #20
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
To be fair, that link twowheels posted does state 50 cm, but that's clearly a mistake. The average is 'only' 4 cm (which is plenty big enough as far as I'm concerned). A 50 cm cockroach... I think I'd be running for my life as well as wetting myself if I saw one that big!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
To be fair, that link twowheels posted does state 50 cm, but that's clearly a mistake. The average is 'only' 4 cm (which is plenty big enough as far as I'm concerned). A 50 cm cockroach... I think I'd be running for my life as well as wetting myself if I saw one that big!

I understood it as being tongue-in-cheek too. If not, we would be running together
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You're thinking of mm. Cm are 2.5cm per inch so 50 is much bigger than a cockroach. If I saw a 50cm cockroach running around I think I'd wet myself in fear and disgust. LOL
I thought it was clear that I understood it to be a gross error.

Otherwise, why would I have posted it? Especially with a comment about how we shouldn't be allowed to use the metric system!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

There was Kafka's story about a man turning into gigantic cockroach, if I'm not mistaken. I'd join you all in the run! 50 cm! aaaah!
And I scream when I see spiders.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I thought it was clear that I understood it to be a gross error.

Otherwise, why would I have posted it? Especially with a comment about how we shouldn't be allowed to use the metric system!
Yes and I too was joking around. Except for the part about the reaction to seeing a 50cm cockroach running around. lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have a Kindle Paper White. Have dropped it more than once without any repercussions. I have a cover however. It helps to protect the device and maintains its rigidity when dropped. I never get a reader without some kind of cover to protect it. I think any of the recent, or previous generation, Kindles would be a good choice. Just make sure you get a cover. If money is tight, purchase the cover first and then get the device.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I never dropped my 350 but I agree with everyone else: get a good case! It's an absolute must! If your 350 did have a case, you have my condolences. However, if it didn't and your other reader didn't either, consider them lessons on why cases are a necessity especially if you are, as you describe yourself, fumbled fingered.

With a case most gadgets can survive a fall or two (or three or four or five...). Without a case you're playing Russian roulette with your electronic gadgets.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
I had an OEM cover on my 350, mainly to protect the screen, but apparently that was not enough protection for it...
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #28
Agar242
Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook ST, kobo mini
Kobo mini

I got a kobo mini about two months back (after numerous nooks). I'm in love, it's so small and seems pretty hearty for something this small. Unfortunately finding a unique cover that doesnt cost as much as the unit itself is kinda annoying. But after making my own (out of chipboard and specialty paper) it fits all my needs. I would definitely consider the mini for you needs as well!
Agar242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I would recommend the Wexler FlexOne. It's the first (and so far, only) e-reader with a flexible, 6-inch screen (no glass). It is extremely light and durable. Definitely won't break no matter how many times you drop it on any kind of surface. I have one, and I think it's a really cool device. It's not exactly pocket-sized (the controls are on the long side of the screen), but very easy to transport regardless. You can buy it on Ebay for around 100 USD (they stopped production and are selling remaining stock I think).

Another durable model is the Onyx Boox X60. This has a 6-inch glass screen, but is built to withstand drops from a normal height. It's more expensive, larger and heavier than the Wexler, but has more functions, e.g. can also write on it with the stylus. I also have one, which will be going on sale soon - let me know if you're interested.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Talking

Quote:
50 cm? That's not too far... what, about the length of an American Cockroach?

http://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/american-cockroach/

<apparently us Americans shouldn't be allowed to use the metric system>
How long had you been sitting on that link until you found a forum to use it?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote