Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Links and anchors question

I'm working on an epub trying to link footnotes at the end of a chapter to the place in the chapter where the footnote is mentioned.

Here is what a working link looks like:

actual footnote <a href="#chapt1fn2" id="chapt1fn2x">[2]</a>

footnote in paragraph <a href="#chapt1fn2x">[2]</a>

this works fine , clicking one takes you to the anchored part and clicking the anchored part takes you to the footnote.

I did 4 of these but when I tried to do the fifth the footnote will only link to the anchor AND NOT back to the footnote.

actual footnote <a href="#chapt1fn26" id="chapt1fn26x">[26]</a>

footnote in paragraph <a href="#chapt1fn26x">[26]</a>

I cannot figure out why the first 4 work and everyone after that does not.

Anyone?
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If this was in the Epub section, you might get better responses. Have a mod move it there.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I try to include the complete filename in the link (href), even when the endnote is in the same file as the source paragraph. It seems to prevent the kind of troubles you are having, though I don't know why it should be necessary.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Where are you trying that? All programs have bugs, you may have hit one. Have you tried following this link first after opening the program or turning on your reader?

Did you validate the ePub or source file? A problem elsewhere might be causing this.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I would use the following:

actual footnote <a href="../Text/<HMTL filename>#chapt1fn2" id="chapt1fn2x">[2]</a>

footnote in paragraph <a href="../Text/<HMTL filename>#chapt1fn2x" id="chapt1fn2">[2]</a>

This is what I use and it works fine.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
I did 4 of these but when I tried to do the fifth the footnote will only link to the anchor AND NOT back to the footnote.

actual footnote <a href="#chapt1fn26" id="chapt1fn26x">[26]</a>

footnote in paragraph <a href="#chapt1fn26x">[26]</a>

I cannot figure out why the first 4 work and everyone after that does not.

Anyone?
You need to have an id in the paragraph as well for it to link back.

actual footnote
<a href="#chapt1fn26" id="chapt1fn26x">[26]</a>

footnote in paragraph
<a href="#chapt1fn26x" id="chapt1fn26">[26]</a>
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I said...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That's what I said...
Yes you did! I just thought it was worth clarifying that the OP's issue was an ID issue, not a full reference issue.

If I may ask, why do you use a full reference for an internal link?

Last edited by Turtle91; 02-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, since I sometimes have the notes at the end of an chapter and sometimes as a seperate file (depends on the number and type of notes). By using full links I don't have to think about it. It is more to be complete, although not always necessary.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Using the full, relative reference also makes it less likely that converters, editors, file-splitters/renamers, etc... might barf on it or otherwise not properly handle a "#chapt1fn26x"-type url. Burn me once....
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

That makes sense. Thanks!