Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
2.1.5 sync shootout: Touch vs. Glo

There are no two ways about it. My new Glo doesn't sync down books from my Kobo library via WiFi, while my Touch, at the same firmware rev, does. (My 2 generic tablets, each with different versions of the Kobo app, also successfully sync over WiFi).

Has anyone with a USA Glo gotten it to successfully sync their Kobo library and download books?

This is really gonna suck for the booksellers who now have to become tech support staff. This whole ABA/indie/Kobo project was supposed to launch 11/01. Now, the ABA has had some weather-related setbacks this week (they're in Connecticut, and they closed on Tuesday), so be it. Maybe there's a step or component they're not sharing with us. Still... WTF, Kobo?

Last edited by oj829; 11-03-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: grammar
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@oj829: Before getting too worked up, might I suggest reaching out to Kobo for assistance. Many people have had excellent support from "Kobo Executive Care"; see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post1950517 for info.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
If I'm only getting "worked up", it's not for myself. I'll just load books to my Glo as I have been doing on my Touch all along - sideloaded (and stripped) epubs from calibre. But point remains - when 2 different versions of the Kobo android client, AND a Touch, all sync to the same account without probs, there's something screwed up about this Glo.

FWIW, I did (yet another) factory reset, and rather than utilize any existing KoboBooks account, or tether to my desktop system, I decided to go ahead with an entirely wireless install and setup. I also created an entirely new KoboBooks account using the Glo during the process (rather than opting to sign in to an existing account). Once complete, I was able to reach the web on the Glo's browser, so my Wifi ain't broke.

Using the Glo's software (and not the browser), I was able to:

1) search the Kobo store for (free) books,

2) download the books to the Glo, where I could read them.

Then I went back to my desktop system and

1) logged successfully into the new, Glo-created, KoboBooks account.

2) Found the free Glo-selected books in "My Library" there.

3) Added some more (free and not-free) books to "My Library" while on the desktop web.

Then, the final acid test:

1) went back to the Glo. Tried a sync.

2) No go on the Glo. None of the web-acquired titles in "My Library" appeared on it.

3) Then I used the Glo's Kobo Store search, and found those items which wouldn't sync down, but which I knew were in "My Library". The non-free title? Downloaded without re-purchase over WiFi without a hitch.

In the end, I'm sure I won't be the only person with a Glo sync problem, so support will hear about it from somebody, I guess. But if I am the only one, then I am. I've already spent too much time on it.

Last edited by oj829; 11-04-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarity, spelling
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote