Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #46
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I subscribe to both through Magster in iTunes. I used to subscribe through FictionWise but then that folded, I tried to go through Amazon. I discovered to my disgust that the price in the Amazon Canada web site for a digital copy was almost twice of the same magazine in Amazon USA. I never received any reply to my numerous questions about this. I started the subsription again when Magster came into the scene and the price was reasonable.

I really want to support both these magazines but they make it really hard to do so. They seem to have no customer support at all and their ideas about digital magazines are bizarre. It is almost as though they don't really care about the customers and have little interest in selling issues.

The last time I tried to contact them was for an electronic issue I received that had a missing page. Of course, no reply.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #47
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have always assumed that the poor customer service was because money is very tight, and the magazines are run on a shoestring budget, plus unfamiliarity with digital publishing.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #48
ebrahimpak
Zealot
ebrahimpak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Thanks for the info! And it seems B&N lets you get the magazines on your PC and Mac app, so that might be the solution! Still, if that goes away, I think there will be nothing left...

EDIT: nope, does not work. Unlike the Sony and Kobo stores, I cannot use my French credit card with an American address at B&N, and the product is only available in the US. I'm a sad, sad panda.

And not a little bit mad. There remains one last, easy solution to get my beloved magazines, that will take take me 30 seconds of searching the net and will not cost me a dime. What kind of a completely idiotic world is this, where one is unable to actually spend money on a product he likes and wants to support? Argh, this is just so completely, utterly dumb...
Dumb's just a word, it's %&*@# rediculous!
ebrahimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #49
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Have you tried Google books? They list Asimov's for subscription, as individual issues or back issues. I know they download books as ePub and their magazines are listed as being formatted in ePub as well.

https://play.google.com/store/newsst...?id=CAowouKPAQ
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #50
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did you realize how old this thread was when you posted to it?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #51
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
A month since the previous post. People overlook Google Play but it's a good source for ePub books.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #52
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The thread may be old but the issue (no pun intended) is still not resolved. Getting Analog and Asimov's magazines, especially outside the USA, is still difficult and any pointers are more than welcome!

On that note, I need to check out Google but in a few weeks as I have just downloaded the latest issue of Analog.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #53
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
The thread may be old but the issue (no pun intended) is still not resolved. Getting Analog and Asimov's magazines, especially outside the USA, is still difficult and any pointers are more than welcome!

On that note, I need to check out Google but in a few weeks as I have just downloaded the latest issue of Analog.
The only seller I have found that will sell Analog to me is Amazon, and if I want a desinfectable version you need a physical Kindle to boot (only goes to Kindles and Kindle for Android, and AFAIK Alf won't help with the latter)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #54
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I still get Asimov's each month as a DRM-free epub from Nook.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #55
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I still get Asimov's each month as a DRM-free epub from Nook.
Grandfathered, perhaps? B&N won't sell either Analog or Asimov's to me, claiming 'We're sorry, but this product is only available within the U.S.'
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #56
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Grandfathered, perhaps? B&N won't sell either Analog or Asimov's to me, claiming 'We're sorry, but this product is only available within the U.S.'
I'm in the UK. It's a shame if it's restricted to certain territories.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #57
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'm in the UK. It's a shame if it's restricted to certain territories.
Yeah, seems to be.

I used to get my Analog from Fictionwise, and moved to Amazon when they stopped selling subscriptions. Back then I used a Kindle DX, but nowadays I use an Aura HD, so I'd prefer to get it in epub directly. But no epub store will sell it to the Netherlands, it seems. B&N won't, Kobo won't, and Google Books will sell it only through Magzter.

So Amazon is still the only game in town for me. And to be able to convert to epub I must download a copy for my DX, as they will only send it to a physical Kindle, Kindle for Android or Kindle for iOS. And Alf's magic won't work on the latter two, AFAIK.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #58
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
I bought the latest issue of Asimov's two days ago from Nook. No problem at all. I had never bought it before although I have had an account for a year or two. I'm in the UK.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #59
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I bought the latest issue of Asimov's two days ago from Nook. No problem at all. I had never bought it before although I have had an account for a year or two. I'm in the UK.
Odd. I'm in the Netherlands, At bn.com I get blown off with 'only available in the US'.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Odd. I'm in the Netherlands, At bn.com I get blown off with 'only available in the US'.
They probably mean 'only available in the US and UK (and perhaps Canada, Australia and New Zealand)'.

It does seem to be a curious restriction. It might be to do with the terms of the magazine's contract with authors.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote